Feature Request: A new method for faster printing

Tushar_Mahajan

Posted · Feature Request: A new method for faster printing

I wonder if it is possible to make infill double the layer height of the outer layers. 

What I'm thinking of is something like this: 

Outer surface layer height: 0.08 mm

Infill layer height: 0.16 mm 

(because printers work best when the layer height is a multiple a of a certain number) 

The printer first prints .16 mm of infill the goes around the infill and prints two .08 mm layers of the outer surface. 

The print speed is much faster with more detail

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Yes, that’s possible. There’s a setting for it too.

Laterheights.jpg.7f8063a330bff159d2f90b4edf16f0f1.jpg

?????????

Layer heights, I do not see as a deviance; line widths yes....Am I missing something?

I found that.

Layerthickness.thumb.jpg.c8e8303b70c767532c2f31f1bb651927.jpg

But is not the OP about layer heights and not thickness? Or am I reading thickness wrong.

7 hours ago, Tushar_Mahajan said:

Outer surface layer height: 0.08 mm

Infill layer height: 0.16 mm  

That is why I searched in layer height.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Feature Request: A new method for faster printing

Ok....no need to get snippy about this. I am not having trouble with the term "Layer" ok? I am having trouble with the term thickness. I do not consider thickness and height to be the same in this instance. I am asking if I am reading that wrong...not getting directions to reread something that I have already read.

Edit: I avoided the sarcasm in the first post because I did search and used heights as posted in the OP. So.....not being helpful here.

Edited by kmanstudios

It also does not help when using the two terms at once without meaning.

85319380_HeightAndThicknessArenotAlwaysSynonamous.thumb.jpg.e1f1f341aaa341deaa419a2f571e787e.jpg

Ergo I had always read this as a variance of width and not height.

That is why I asked if I was reading it wrong, not requesting a dunning on whether I am thorough or not.

Sorry, I did not mean to be snippy. I thought adding a smiley to my misquoted Star Wars line would take away from its recognisability, and I am on mobile which takes away from friendly verbosity.

I agree that using thickness here is confusing. I did not come up with the setting name, I just pointed it out. I am partially to blame though, because I think the setting was added under my “reign” as UX designer for Cura.

Thx, I suggested this in the Cura survey not knowing it's already in ?

Maybe it might be a good idea if Cura uses only one term in future, layer height and line width and get rid of thickness completely? Maybe other users also get a bit confused...

• Like 1

I have always been curious about the 2 meanings too.  I assumed thickness was used instead of layer height for a reason and there was a difference between the two.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Maybe an Ultimaker dictionary with the names and the definitions of what they mean in the UM 3D world would be helpful... so everyone "speaks" the same language.

ps: Would also be really helpful for us that are not born speaking the Shakespeare language...

This is a very nice feature they didn't tell us about!

I've also been considering the starkly different requirements of infill v wall - is it possible to configure a dual extrusion, dual nozzle setup so that one nozzle prints infill and perhaps inner wall, one (smaller bore) nozzle does outer wall?

Yes, see "Infill Extruder" under Infill. Again, use the search if it is not showing up already.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Yes, see "Infill Extruder" under Infill. Again, use the search if it is not showing up already.

This separates into infill and wall. What @colmoni meant was a separation in infill+inner wall and outer wall, correct? I think this separation would be much more useful, what do you think @ahoeben?

• Like 1

I think I disagree; I don't think printing outer and inner walls with different extruders is more useful than printing walls and infill with different extruders.

Interesting. For me, the reason to use the larger diameter is to speed things up. But that comes at the cost of a rougher vertical surface. That I see the smaller diameter for; one line with that one should be enough for an aesthetic surface. That leads for me to the separation between outer and inner wall.

Especially with the nozzle diameters 0.4mm and 0.8mm as for the Ultimaker printcores, that replacement of the inner walls means drawing one line instead of two.

What is your logic?

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

I just installed a profile for the UM3, and you can indeed set inner and outer walls to different extruders! It's under Shell. Question answered!

Edited by colmoni

15 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

What is your logic?

Note that I did not say there is no merit at all to printing inner and outer walls with different extruders. I just think it isn't more useful than different extruders for infill and walls.

For infill and walls, my usecase is eg using a different (eg cheaper, or sturdier) material for infill than for the walls. A single outer wall would not be enough to cover inner walls of a different material. The same could be true for the outer wall detail.