Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
stuartphillipson

IP address not being picked up via DHCP

I'm mainly posting this so that people with the same problem might find this via Google:

Symptom:

You have registered your Ultimaker S5 for network access via its ethernet port using its MAC address to assign a specific IP address. However it does not pick up the IP address and instead assigns a self assigned 169.x.x.x address. 

Problem:

Some older / enterprise DHCP servers do not like you having an associated DNS if it starts with a number. 3D printers my be more prone to this if like me, you created a DNS "3dprint.myorg.com".

Solution:

If you do have a DNS associated with your 3D printer, make sure it doesn't start with a number or have a network that sucks less than ours. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stuartphillipson said:

you created a DNS "3dprint.myorg.com".

Oh my!  That's interesting.  @nallath is Ultimaker aware that DNS names that start with "3D" may be a problem for the UM3 and S5?  I would be surprised that Unix cares about this but I suppose it's possible.