The end of Ultimaker2 (?) Update/Support.

Torgeir

Posted · The end of Ultimaker2 (?) Update/Support.

Hi Folks,

In the Ultimaker Community Forum, I’ll assume that the roof is high so I go for some thoughts..

When I’ve read this, I do not understand any philosophy behind this.

This is the printer that’s known around as the most accurate mono color 3D printer,

“the 20 micron FDM printer” and will be in a long time.

This is the first “all” metal printer Ultimaker made, having a huge number of printing hour, that’s need to be used and supported because all this experience will benefit the other printers Ultimaker have (3). Well, I'll know UM2's life continue as a UM2+..

What I suggest is this: Why not have a special menu in the UM2+ firmware, where you can select a standard UM2 feeder? This will not be a big issue, as a standard UM2 then can use the 2+ firmware.

This will be a big benefit for those still operating a standard UM2.

Almost forgot, I’ve been using the Ohlson Block for a Year or so, same standard heater(25 W) and standard PT100. There is no difference I have noticed, -in my way of printing and I can do the full 10 mm3 flow/speed test with max temp only 209 Deg C. Oh yes, I’m using the “original UM2” firmware.

I hope this “small thing” can be “implemented” into UM2+ firmware and I’ll think it will be very appreciated by all the owners of an UM2.

Thanks

Regards

Torgeir.

• 1 month later...

Im also using a standard UM2. OEM. minor 35W heater upgrade. Unbeatable FDM quality/speed IMHO....even now. even with the stepper lines. Its what I use for hardcore rush jobs that need some quality also.

As long as parts are available for it Im not too fussed about any further software/hardware upgrades, seeing as I haven't even upgraded. I went to the OB but then went back as I prefer the smaller heating block, and even preferred the 25W heated but I fried that taking it out.

I jut need a few spare nozzles and couplers. I assume these are still available though?

@Torgeir I'm not sure what your point is.  The only difference I think between UM and UM+ firmware is the steps/mm for the extruder, right?  If that's the only difference then you just need tinkerMarlin (as mentioned in the post above).  In TinkerMarlin you can specify both steps/mm and also direction of rotation.  So switching extruders is very easy if you have tinkerMarlin.  I have tinkerMarlin on all 4 of my UM2 printers and it works great.

You have 333 posts on this forum so I would think you know tinkerMarlin by now so maybe you are trying to make a different point?

Hi @gr5,

For sure I know @tinkergnome's firmware,  IMO., the best firmware made for UM2 -to experimenters!

But the fact is that there is other UM2 users, with limited knowledge in this matter, their interest is to print 3D objects.. When this one is left behind, having the old firmware while it is still as good "hardware wise" as the UM2+! They will be looking into Ultimakers web site and want to use this software..  -This is what I'm talking about!

People using the printer this way is -kind of "out in the cold"!

You see, as long as UM2+ is living, UM2 should be in the same boat, so to say..   UM2+ is just a small modification of UM2!!!

333 post, -really, hopefully I made some valuable ones..

Just for "the record", I started "hand assembling" in 1974, because I could not afford an assembler, -as it was way too expensive.. 

Thanks

Regards

Torgeir.

• Like 1

The UM2+ is superior to the UM2 in every single aspect.

As for firmware upgrades, the only firmware upgrades that we've done in the past time is adding more material profiles. Since the UM2(+) is essentially running marlin with a bit of menu stuff on top of it, there isn't much need for change.

All that being said; We still test Cura if it works correctly with UM2's

I still feel the original nozzle on the um2 was better than with the OB. Not by much. I got finer details like tiny fingers with the um2 nozzle and they came out slighlty wobblier using the ob which is why i switched back. However If you like swapping nozzles a lot then the ob was better.

The one thing the UM2 nozzle is indeed better with is with fine detail. The hotzone of the original nozzle was shorter, so you had a bit finer contorl.

The main advantages of the UM2+ are the removal of the spring, so you don't get degraded teflon and a way better (stronger) feeder + switchable nozzles.