can't connect to Cura but printer is actually connected.

chix

Posted · can't connect to Cura but printer is actually connected.

Hi all,

hope you can assist me....I am having this issue to connect my Ultimaker 3 to my mac.

It only appeared today as yesterday the printer has been working fine. Not sure what is happening.

Basically the printer is connected , but when i go to Cura properties / printers it is listed but i can't connect to it.

Please refer to Snapshot below to view the issue...

I am thinking to  try to reinstall Cura maybe downgrade to 3.4 ? (ATM i have latest version 3.4.1)

Did any of you had the same issue?

Many Many thanks

Chiara

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 22.21.58.png

Latest cura and latest firmware should be fine.  You shouldn't need to downgrade.  In the case above there are 2 entries with the same name name.  If there really are 2 printers maybe it would help to rename one of them( maybe).  If not, then definitely delete one of them.

Cura team doesn't appear to spend too much effort on printing through usb as only the UMO supports that anymore.  Cura is mostly just a slicer.  I recommend you use Cura to slice and for printing through USB you use pronterface.  It has so many more features.  Or use octoprint and you can print through your network (purchasing a raspberry pi and octoprint costs about $35 per printer).

Hi all,

when i down grade i had no more issues with Wifi, I only have one printer really not sure why it was not connecting.

gr5,

thanks a lot for suggesting octoprint , i will check it out looks super useful.

does it allows you to remote check while printing?

Does it allows you to log in to their website and check live your prints progress through the Ultimaker camera ?

C

Octoprint does not use any hardware on the UM3 but the camera attached to a Raspberry Pi. It is not an online service that you use but a small application which runs on the Raspberry Pi mini computer. You then connect the printer to the Raspberry Pi via USB.

I wouldn't recommend OctoPrint for an UM3 but rather for the UM2(+) since the UM3 has a working remote printing feature through Cura (and Cura Connect).

Did anyone solve this? I have the exact same problem. I can find the printer on my network when clicking refresh but not connect to it.

Selection_004.thumb.png.3431095344e8ef7a5efbc29b30de2ea5.png

Running on a freshly installed  linux mint 19.

A colleague can connect and print from a Mac so the printer works just fine...

Just FYI: I solved the problem by upgrading the firmware on the printer and erasing all hidden cura folders and now it works on version 3.6.

I was working on Cura 3.6 (with current firmware) but now on Cura 4.0, having trouble connecting to the existing printer (only change was to upgrade to 4.0).  Worked yesterday, not today after restarting Cura.  Browser can access the printer (Swagger APIs work, camera shows, etc) but Cura only has the option to "Save to File" after slicing.

Adding the same printer again seems to have tricked it into working.  Restarting Cura, the printer no longer works again.  Adding the printer yet again (3 printers now all point to the same printer) made it work again.

Same problem, networking on Cura 4 is shit

I think it's not a problem of Cura. On my Linux machine establishing a /dev/ttyUSB0 connection with a baudrate of 250000 is not supported.

I changed the Marlin settings to 115000 bps (search for 'serial' in Configuration.h). Now Cura connects fine.

Don't forget to add your account to the dialout group.

Good luck,

Michael

My printer, um3, upgrade is on the latest model, says connected on the machine, but have nothing coming out either cura or the website... just want to have some video catch by the camera which once worked a long time ago... 

On 8/28/2018 at 2:28 PM, chix said:

Hi all,

hope you can assist me....I am having this issue to connect my Ultimaker 3 to my mac.

It only appeared today as yesterday the printer has been working fine. Not sure what is happening.

Basically the printer is connected , but when i go to Cura properties / printers it is listed but i can't connect to it.

Please refer to Snapshot below to view the issue...

I am thinking to  try to reinstall Cura maybe downgrade to 3.4 ? (ATM i have latest version 3.4.1)

Did any of you had the same issue?

Many Many thanks

Chiara

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 22.21.58.png

I just disabled and re-enabled the USB Plugin and it worked, no restart needed even, hope that works for you

On 10/22/2022 at 6:16 PM, SushiLamb said:

I just disabled and re-enabled the USB Plugin and it worked, no restart needed even,

I am happy that "worked" for you, but for the benefit of others:

Disabling and re-enabling a plugin without restarting Cura in-between does nothing. The plugin is not stopped in any way by just unchecking it in the marketplace. The only thing disabling a plugin does is marking the plugin to not be started the next time Cura is started.

I have multiple Curas open at once cuz I have ADHD. I found that one of the other Cura windows I had open still had the print dialogue open from the previous USB print I made. That prevented the current print from using the USB printer.