Printing at temperatures higher than 260°C on a UM2+ with original FW?

TMicke

Posted · Printing at temperatures higher than 260°C on a UM2+ with original FW?

Is there a way to print at higher temps than 260°C with original FW on a UM2+?

I'm using Tinker FW today but I liked the original FW better but I needed to be able to print at 270°C.

The original firmware has the maximum temperature limited at 260C and no easy way to work around that.

The 260C limit is there because at high temperatures the PTFE coupler degrades, the higher the temperature, the faster the degrading. A decoupler damaged like this can still look ok, but will possibly have a smaller opening causing extra friction and under extrusion.

Short story: no Ultimaker support for higher temperatures than 260C.

Workarounds: Use one of the available alternative firmwares, or compile your own firmware version based on the open source Ultimaker code. The firmware and a description can be found here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware

The change to be made to the source files is in the file configuration.h, line 166. There you change the maximum defined temperature value from 275C to whatever you want (note that the value defined here is 15C higher because of a safety margin).

• Thanks 1

Thank you for an very informative post! Much appreciated.

I’ve bought an 3rd party PTFE coupler (or something similar) that claims to withstand 295C. So far it has proven to work.

I guess I’ll give it a shot and compile my own firmware, if it’s really as “simple” as downloading firmware from github, edit line 166 and upload it back to my beloved printer I think I will manage ?

I don’t know all the right terms for this, but is there only the firmware that can be upgraded? So if I compile my own firmware and then later on you guys at Ultimaker releases a new upgrade (the one that typically is made from Cura) my compiled one will be overwritten?

Yes, in the UM2 there is only 1 software package. So when you upload a new version from Cura it will overwrite your version.

That said, the UM2(+) has been around for a while and new updates become rare since most known bugs have been fixed. The last update was about a year ago, I think, and only in the upcoming Cura 3.5 release the next update is planned. If you want to be at that latest revision you would have to create your own new modified version again.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

This topic is very interesting because I would like to modify my old Ultimaker 2 printer. I would like to heat up my nozzle to 320°C. I tried with changing 168 line in configuration file but do not know how to install this files on my Ultimaker.

Is it possible to do it, if Yes, Could you please explain in simple way. this would be very helpful for me.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Anwesh Nettim

You have to compile your own firmware based on the configuration file and then you can install it with the Cura update function. How to compile the firmware and what you need to do, can be found here https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware

I also recommend that you buy some TFM couplers, because when you print at 320°C I guess you have to replace the coupler every few layers 🙂 

Hello Mr. Smithy,

Thanks for the information,

I installed the firmware by modifying 168, 169, 170 lines in configuration file but the thermocouple only reads until 260°C. If I disconnect thermocouple from heater the heater reaches upto 350 (which i change from 275°C in configuration.h file) and shown max temp error. 

May I know how to change thermocouple reading to 335 or 330°C value.

I would like to use different extruder head with liquid cooling system to run at 330°C.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Anwesh Nettim

Maybe @tinkergnome knows more about it.....

5 hours ago, anwesh said:

I installed the firmware by modifying 168, 169, 170 lines in configuration file but the thermocouple only reads until 260°C. If I disconnect thermocouple from heater the heater reaches upto 350 (which i change from 275°C in configuration.h file) and shown max temp error. 

I think a lot of important information is missing...

• There are several firmware variants and branches, what is line 168 referring to? I guess you changed "HEATER_0_MAXTEMP" to 335 or higher? That should be correct.
    • But... wait... thermocouple? Where is it connected? The "temp" inputs on the UM2 mainboard are for RTDs only (PT100)
      For any other sensor type you can probably find (and configure) some free pins on the board to connect the sensor and the pullup resistor. On the firmware side: Use one of the supported temperature tables - set the correct value for "TEMP_SENSOR_0" (configuration.h - there's a section with comments) and "TEMP_0_PIN" (pins.h)
    • are there more unmentioned changes on the hardware side?
    • in any case: be careful and respect the warnings in the Marlin documentation
      https://marlinfw.org/docs/configuration/configuration.html#thermal-settings
    • ...and please test it thouroughly - don't burn down your house...

For the sake of completeness: schematics of the mainboard are published on GitHub

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/tree/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_(x1)

Hello,

Thanks for the information, 

I am just using ultimaker mother board for heating extruder hot end (do not need any sensor or x or y movements). I would like to extruder few materials at high temperatures (350°C). I have E3D liquid cooling hot end for this Purpose.

I want to heat up hot end up to 350°C .  Could you please tell me how to do this?

I tried by downloading the firmware from github and changed configuration.ch file (168th line from 275 to 350) but it does not worked for me. 

Thanks,

Anwesh 

Without a sensor, the hotend will get above 700C and melt. You absolutely must have a sensor.

To build mariln for UM2, here are detailed instructions.  For building Marlin for other printers it is much easier as you can just use arduino IDE.

3 hours ago, anwesh said:

I am just using ultimaker mother board for heating extruder hot end (do not need any sensor or x or y movements).

That's still confusing... and "does not work" is not precise enough to give you any advise...

Marlin will not start the heater without a connected temperature sensor (and readings in a plausible range).

So, you have somehow connected a heater cartridge and a temperature sensor to the Ultimaker board. E3D uses thermistor cartridges AFAIK - so neither thermocouple nor PT100?

I assume you have to elaborate much more to get any useful answers.

What have you already tried and what exactly does not work?

As a start:

- Which kind of temperature sensor is connected? That's very important - each (kind of) sensor works different.

- Where is it connected (pin numbers or connector names on the board)

- What's the value of the used pullup resistor?

- compiling and uploading the customized firmware already works - right?

- How do you control your custom firmware? Serial console? Which commands are used?

- What's the exact error message (if you get one)?

...feel free to extend the list where needed... 🙂