Connect S5 to Network via USB Passthrough

Posted · Connect S5 to Network via USB Passthrough

Hi,

I have an S5 printer inside an airtight filtration enclosure unit that I need to get onto a school's secure network.  The enclosure unit itself only has a power and usb passthrough. So I need to take the RJ45 port from the printer and convert it to usb to go through the passthrough then switch it back to RJ45 to connect to the wall port. 

I have tried a USB to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and a Type A USB to Ethernet RJ45 Male Plug adapter [S5 -> ethernet cord -> adapter -> usb port -> reverse setup -> wall] and neither of these setups have worked.

The cord itself is working as I have confirmed this by connecting a laptop to the network, however the printer will not.  I am thinking the issue is related to the printer needing to tell the adapter to start the connection the way a computer does.  

Any suggestions?

I would prefer to use WiFi and avoid all of this, but we don't seem to be able to connect without the printer supporting 802.1x authentication. I was also told that our system would not allow adding my own router to create a mini network inside.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I assume a normal ethernet cable will not fit between the enclosure and door? But there are also very flat ethernet cables you could try. 

Or drill a hole in the enclosure ?

Another idea:

You have tried a "real" usb ethernet adapter, which is not working, because those adapters are to provide ethernet ports for notebooks for example.

But, there are also usb over ethernet adapter and these adapters normally connect only the wires together, without any logic inside. So you could use one adapter outside the enclosure to connect the ethernet cable to the usb passthrough and inside, vice versa.

It is just an idea, so no guarantees!

That would be ethernet over USB, which does not exist in the way you suggest. USB over ethernet does.

How about an access point outside the enclosure that hosts a network strictly for the UM5 to use?

Use one of these.  Problem solved.  Do it in the back where no one will notice.  If later you change your mind you can fill the hole with some caulk.

image.png.ddfb36a84ace9180087f80239337cde5.png

How does your enclosure deal with filament?

Note that PLA is the preferred material for 95% of needs yet it does not like it if the air gets above 25C so you will need pretty good air flow.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions. As a temporary fix I ordered the flat Ethernet cables and was able to squish them inside the door and still lock it.   I will still explore more options, we can't really drill a hole without voiding the warranty or paying the company to come do it themselves. I am still hopeful that Ultimaker will implement authentication features for both WiFi and Cura Connect.