0.9° Stepper Motor on UMO+

Posted · 0.9° Stepper Motor on UMO+

Hello Community,

i was thinking about upgrade my stepper motors of the UMO+ to 0.9° motors.

I heard there are not very expensive and will make the printer much quieter.

Is that true and is it just changing the motors or do I have to change anything in the software?

Would you recommend changing the motors or is there no real advantage apart from the noise?

Thanks for any help! 

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · 0.9° Stepper Motor on UMO+

There is (in theory) an increased precision to be gained by going from 1.8 degree to 0.9 degree steppers... I'm not sure it applies to practice though.
    By far the best way of reducing noise on the UMO is by changing the stepper drivers to silent step sticks (I use the TMC 2100 version, and saw there is now a TMC 2130 as well), search for it here on the forums. You mention yours is an UMO+, I'm out of the loop in terms of what electronics board is in that, does it use the UM2 board w. integrated stepper drivers? (if so, you obviously can't change them).

As for changes in firmware if you were to change your stepper motors to 0.9 degree ones, all you have to do is double the steps/mm. for the axis where you changed motors.
    You can do this directly on the LCD smart controller if you have one of those...

Edited by tommyph1208

• 2 months later...
    On 11/7/2018 at 11:00 AM, tommyph1208 said:

There is (in theory) an increased precision to be gained by going from 1.6 degree to 0.9 degree steppers... I'm not sure it applies to practice though.
    By far the best way of reducing noise on the UMO is by changing the stepper drivers to silent step sticks (I use the TMC 2100 version, and saw there is now a TMC 2130 as well), search for it here on the forums. You mention yours is an UMO+, I'm out of the loop in terms of what electronics board is in that, does it use the UM2 board w. integrated stepper drivers? (if so, you obviously can't change them).

As for changes in firmware if you were to change your stepper motors to 0.9 degree ones, all you have to do is double the steps/mm. for the axis where you changed motors.
    You can do this directly on the LCD smart controller if you have one of those...

--------------------------
    There is (in theory) an increased precision to be gained by going from 1.6 degree to 0.9 degree steppers... I'm not sure it applies to practice though.

-----------------------

there is not exist 1.6 degree Nema motors.
    They are 1.8 degree 

You will get zero improvement in sound by changing the stepper.  You need to change the stepper driver.  Google "pololu" and try to find one that is pin compatible with the UMO green board.  If you have the UMO+ white circuit board then the next option might be to get a chinese knockoff as those have the stepper drivers removable for both UMO style and UMO+ style.