dual extruder / chimera settings

bman

Posted · dual extruder / chimera settings

I have recently added a chimera hotend to my reprap printer. I have been using Cure 3.41 on this printer, with a single hotend, for awhile and have been pleased with the results.

I the dual nozzle configuration I get duplicate settings for both nozzles, but do not fully understand what I need to change for the second nozzle.  I can understand temperature and material but do I need to set things like bed temperature in both extruders?

I would be great if someone could advise what settings are shared between extruders, which extruder sets the defaults, and how to ensure that both nozzles are primed for printing.

I am alos looking for some help on enabling things like the ooze shiled / prime tower etc.

I appreciate any and all support.

Thank you

Posted · dual extruder / chimera settings
    On 9/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, bman said:

I can understand temperature and material but do I need to set things like bed temperature in both extruders? 

I would be great if someone could advise what settings are shared between extruders, which extruder sets the defaults, and how to ensure that both nozzles are primed for printing.

There can only be one bed temperature. Bed temperature is a global setting, so shared between extruders. Cura indicates these sort of settings by displaying a chain link icon next to the setting.

Each extruder has its own defaults for most settings. Like the print temperature and such, these can be different for each extruder. That is a problem for Chimaera-style nozzles because Cura will try to set the temperatures for both extruders to different temperatures but on your nozzle only one of them can win. There is no real solution for that yet (and no priority from Ultimaker to make one) but you can work around it by removing some temperature commands using the Search-and-Replace post-processing script.

Some default settings that are global can still be set by the material profiles per extruder. This is kind of a complex system, but necessary for things like the bed temperature. For these, there is a resolve function that Cura defines per setting. For instance, for the heated bed temperature, Cura chooses the highest of the temperatures of all nozzles.

Make sure you check "Enable Prime Blob" or use a skirt/brim/raft for the extruders that need priming at the beginning of a print. Use a prime tower if you need them primed after each extruder switch (strongly advisable for Chimaera!)

On 9/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, bman said:

I am alos looking for some help on enabling things like the ooze shiled / prime tower etc.

Don't bother with the ooze shield in my opinion. Use a prime tower for your Chimaera printer though.