Top menu missing in Cura

Artefakt

Posted (edited) · Top menu missing in Cura

The top menu in Cura is not visible. How do I solve this?

[Edit: The solution was to update the Intel HD Graphics Driver, but not through the computer's 'Dell Update' software, since it didn't find any new updates. See post below.]

I just installed Cura 3.4.1 in Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13 laptop with onboard graphics and the latest drivers including the Intel HD Graphics driver.

Unfortunately I can not see the top menu. See attached image. Everything in the program window seem to be shifted up, so to click something I have to click about 6 mm below the visible item (the graphics are shifted up but not the click areas). Therefore it is still possible to access the invisible menu, but it is annoying not to be able to see things properly and not be able to click on the item directly.

I have seen similar behavior in the Libre Office suite, and to fix it in that program you have to disable OpenGL in the Libre Office settings to see the normal window with the menu at the top.

Any idea how to solve this problem for the Cura software?

Cura_menu_missing.jpg

Edited by Artefakt
Writing solution.

Posted · Top menu missing in Cura
    2 hours ago, Artefakt said:

Dell XPS 13 laptop with onboard graphics and the latest drivers including the Intel HD Graphics driver.

Perhaps you have the latest drivers that Dell offers for the laptop, but Intel has newer drivers for your GPU.

Details can be found here:

https://github.com/ultimaker/cura/issues/2068

Thanks @ahoeben for the suggestion. I had previously today updated the Intel HD Graphics driver via the 'Dell Update' software and this didn't help, and there were no more updates available according to Dell Update. But, due to your suggestion, I went to Dell's website and scanned the computer for updates, and then there were several updates available including a newer graphics driver. Lo and behold, now the windows are rendered correctly in Cura with a visible top menu, and it looks as it should.

The current working driver is:

Version 23.20.16.4973, A12
    File name: Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver_10X01_WIN_23.20.16.4973_A12.EXE

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

...or visversa, yes.  I haven't tried changing the default graphics for Cura.

I think it defaulted to my certified NVidia driver. 

Updating NVidia drivers to non-certified driver risks my bread-n-butter apps.

I'll see if I can force Cura to go to the win32gdu.

Oh, and it is also Win7 pro.

I'll get there one way or another.

I finally got to confirm the settings.  By default, my CAD-leaning Lenovo P70 running Windows 7 Pro didn't recognize Cura as a 3D app.  Similar situation with an older Dell running a similar hardware configuration.  The top bar menu simply does not show up, and mouse click positions are offset.  I know this has been going on since V2.3 because that is when I gave up on this last time.  My Win10 laptop just isn't equipped for Cura.

Today I added Cura as a 3D app in the NVidia desktop.  Left all the setting at default and restarted Cura.  Now Cura is running on the NVidia card and the menu finally shows up.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:55 PM, ahoeben said:

If your Lenovo has both integrated graphics and an nvidia card, you could try forcing it to run on the nvidia card. The described issue is Intel-specific.

Yep, that was it.  Funny how NVidia didn't recognize Cura as a 3D App by default.

I got the same problem with Cura 3.4.x and 3.5.x  with window 7 on my HP  EliteBook laptop (Intel 520 graphic card). In fact my problem was not directly related to the graphic card, but to my setting of windows performance. (yes I prefer performance ratter than appearance) and one of my custom selection was causing the missing drop down menu in Cura

in windows setting ensure the following check box is selected.

Control Panel --> Performance Information and tools --> adjust visual effects --> Adjust for best appearance.

I didn't try a all custom selection to find out which one in particular was causing the missing drop down menu problem, but if somebody have time to figure out ...

Thanks...  I too require performance.  So far, the NVidia control panel did the trick.

My default setting for the performance info is to let Windows decide.  This needs to remain such for me.

I have a win 10 with the same thing on a nvidia 970 card....when I open cura I can see the top menu for about 10 sekunds then they blank out..... ive tried to localize where in pc i could find performance infarmation and tools (is it in windows?) but no luck yet.....

My Win10 only has an onboard Intel GPU and it loaded fine. 

As a matter of fact, that is where I learned I even had a menu.

Imagine being a first time (and long time) user and not ever knowing a menu was there.

And by long time user I mean one that tried repeatedly to make Cura work for me.

Once the menu conveniently showed up years later it was like "D'UH!"

after updating java everything is working again

How did you find that solution?  And thanks for sharing.

Posted (edited) · Top menu missing in Cura

purely coincidental, in another thread in here about the same problem, brink told that he/she had completely uninstalled everything nvidia and it worked for him/her...i was about to do the same. but before I was just going to make sure that I had the drivers and files to reinstall everything again...on nvidias homepage there was a scanner to check what hardware you were having...but it wouldnt work because my java was outdated. well I updated and on a whim i just checked cura, and it worked.

Now, I cant say for sure that its java thats the culprit...but it was all I did install .... nothing I did before helped, including  updating everything nvidia and windows

Edited by Gargoyle47

There is a common thread developing ?  Thanks for the details!

np just glad if I can help

well problem is back again.....

That's not a good sign 😱