DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Hey guys,

I would like to share a lever action dual extrusion solution I came up with for Ultimaker 2+.

The approach is based on the great effort everyone put into Mark2 and Ultimaker 3. 

The print head holds two hot ends, which are originally to be installed on standard UM2 head for 1.75 filament. The right nozzle move up and down for nozzle swapping. 

This compact dual print head can achieve single extrusion print area of 220x223x205, and dual extrusion print area of 202x223x200.

DSC08349.thumb.jpg.1891fb711f1d9255a4a239ee340d14e0.jpg

DSC08350.thumb.jpg.a9e1d69c10c74a5ca472a6f9861e081f.jpg

IMG_3484.MOV_20180923_015524_315.thumb.jpg.85ff785990b9447b985c1b35cb9e49c4.jpg

DSC08623.thumb.jpg.f2e73609b183e2e2b5663

DSC08631.thumb.jpg.7f13684f0e7cb1c1b9461

Video clips:

Files and instructions available at:

https://github.com/yyh1002/DXU

Credits:

Lever lifting mechanism is inspired by Ultimaker 3.

The firmware is modified based on Mark2 version of Tinkergnome firmware by @tinkergnome.

CURA profiles are modified based on the Mark2 profiles by @tinkergnome and @foehnsturm. Used Mark2Tweaks plugin for CURA by Krys Lawrence.

Edited by yyh1002
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
Hi, congratulations for your work. I am very interested in this update but 2 problems arise,
I can not load the .hex file from the priest, could you confirm that this is correct?
Where can I acquire the aluminum pieces that are seen in the presentation?
a cordial greeting

I just looked at some of the design files for this - really good work.  Quite impressive.  Instructions for the feeder are fantastic.  There are some clever innovations in this.  I love that you included a bom with links to where to get the parts.  This just seems very thorough.

I see also that you included the firmware both compiled and git source code (so one can see the changes you had to make).

Very impressive.

• Like 3

What "aluminum pieces"?  I believe everything you need to buy is listed in the bom.xlsx file.  Everything else is stl files that you can print.  One of the items in the bom links to the feeders which have their own bom.

10 hours ago, urtxiki said:

Hi, congratulations for your work. I am very interested in this update but 2 problems arise,
    I can not load the .hex file from the priest, could you confirm that this is correct?
    Where can I acquire the aluminum pieces that are seen in the presentation?
    a cordial greeting

Thanks. The .hex file is correct. Are you using Cura 3.4 to upload it? For some reason Cura 3.4 cannot upload custom firmware successfully. Earlier versions such as 3.1 works. I'm not sure which aluminum pieces your are referring to. You can find all the links in BOM. 

10 hours ago, gr5 said:

I just looked at some of the design files for this - really good work.  Quite impressive.  Instructions for the feeder are fantastic.  There are some clever innovations in this.  I love that you included a bom with links to where to get the parts.  This just seems very thorough.

I see also that you included the firmware both compiled and git source code (so one can see the changes you had to make).

Very impressive.

Thanks for the kind words ?

5 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

I assume it's not possible to change nozzles in this design without taking apart the head?

There is no need to remove the head or hotend to change nozzle. It takes a plier to hold the heater block to unscrew and install the nozzle with hex socket wrench.

5 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

Did you print the lever parts? what material did you use? 

I printed everything with unmodified PC at 280 °C with the same hotend. I added a PI ring between the nozzle and PTFE tube for heat resistance, similar to the one by 3D Solex. The lever parts were printed at 0.05 layer height. 

Edited by yyh1002

On 9/26/2018 at 10:44 PM, DidierKlein said:

Nice work! How does this 1.75mm special hotend print? Is it working well? I like the standard um2+ hotend (and the UM3 Core), would be nice if it was adaptable to these

It's flawless. I printed high temp, flexible, and standard filament and haven't had any problem. Plus the consumable is only a piece of 2x4 PTFE tube which makes maintenance pretty much free.

Very good design

22.jpg

2.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 1

On 23.09.2018 at 22:39, ultiarjan said:

Güzel !!

Bu tasarımdaki nozulları kafadan ayırmadan değiştirmek mümkün değil mi?

Başkaları için kolaylaştırmak için ... github'dan resim;

image.thumb.png.14cb56f66b54028a9b117281582e03e5.png

According to the drawing and the diagram hotend e3dv6 hotend

2 hours ago, myesil33 said:

According to the drawing and the diagram hotend e3dv6 hotend

It's not e3d. E3d has diameter of 22mm. This one is only 13 in diameter and also shorter in length, much more suitable for dual nozzle efficiency. 

is there any other websites where i can get hot end parts? don't understand language, and google translate is to not much help.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Can you get an internet address on aliexpress website?

On 10/13/2018 at 6:52 AM, sint_vaffel said:

is there any other websites where i can get hot end parts? don't understand language, and google translate is to not much help.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:50 PM, myesil33 said:

Can you get an internet address on aliexpress website?

Unfortunately the hotend is not sold anywhere else. You might be able to find the part cooling fan on alibaba.com. I imagine there could be order agents for taobao. 

Very interesting, so to fit the UM2+, it's dual 1.75mm nozzles?  

Are those nozzles pretty easy to source?  

On 10/17/2018 at 11:33 PM, yyh1002 said:

Unfortunately the hotend is not sold anywhere else. You might be able to find the part cooling fan on alibaba.com. I imagine there could be order agents for taobao. 

The heatsink you use is the same sold on AliExpress for um3 ?

1 hour ago, LePaul said:

Very interesting, so to fit the UM2+, it's dual 1.75mm nozzles?  

Are those nozzles pretty easy to source?  

Nozzles, you can use pretty much every nozzle there is for 1.75. as long as it's compatible with e3d v6 systems because of the M6 "threaded" lenght and you can get theme everywhere.
    Heatblock, is like olsson block, but for 1.75mm (found on ali)
    Heat-throat, colling fins/heatsink and push-fittings: has to be ordered from taobao, it's realy a custom made peace i never seen before.

18 minutes ago, neotko said:

Had a look at one on Ali, not the same. the ones used here got "push-fitting" in the top for bowden tube and don't think the ones from UM3 will fit here.

Have a 2x set on order now, realy looking forward to build this print head.

Edited by sint_vaffel
    • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 4:07 AM, sint_vaffel said:

Nozzles, you can use pretty much every nozzle there is for 1.75. as long as it's compatible with e3d v6 systems because of the M6 "threaded" lenght and you can get theme everywhere.
    Heatblock, is like olsson block, but for 1.75mm (found on ali)
    Heat-throat, colling fins/heatsink and push-fittings: has to be ordered from taobao, it's realy a custom made peace i never seen before.

Had a look at one on Ali, not the same. the ones used here got "push-fitting" in the top for bowden tube and don't think the ones from UM3 will fit here.

Have a 2x set on order now, realy looking forward to build this print head.

Very good observation. May I just correct one detail? The heatblock is not general 1.75 version of Olsson block. The orientation of male/female thread is reverse. It also has to be the specific heatblock from the heatsink seller. 

On 10/20/2018 at 3:50 AM, neotko said:

It's not the same as UM3. The following photo shows the original application of the heatsink:

481713468_IMG_3439-Copy.thumb.jpg.f9858d6e33c75c9c605a70abc233a0f0.jpg

10 hours ago, yyh1002 said:

Very good observation. May I just correct one detail? The heatblock is not general 1.75 version of Olsson block. The orientation of male/female thread is reverse. It also has to be the specific heatblock from the heatsink seller. 

Now when you said it, i had to look closer and you are right. Just hope i get everything i need in my order.

looks great. is there any chance that this design would work with 3mm filament. i do not mind if i loose a bit more or the print space. 

On 10/22/2018 at 12:19 PM, blueyellowgecko said:

looks great. is there any chance that this design would work with 3mm filament. i do not mind if i loose a bit more or the print space. 

It may be possible if there is a ptfe tube with 4mm OD and 3mm ID. by looking at the parts i got now, you can maybe get away with drilling 3mm hole in the part with "push" fitting on top. it's only 2mm for 1.75 filament. the "pipe" part and all the way down to nozzle is 4mm to be used with ptfe tube. but i don't think it will be any good without the "4od-3id" ptfe tube, as soon as 3mm(2.85) filament gets down to the nozzle it will melt and creep up the heatsink and pipe because of all the spare room around filament and pressure from the extruder motor.

Edited by sint_vaffel

I pushed some minor updates to the DXU as v1.1. 

1. Moved the dock to the right back corner.

If there is imperfection of dual print due to filament conditions, the marks will be on the back of model instead of front. So slightly better print outcome in some cases. The contact of lever and dock while doing bed levelling is gone. The dock liner for drilling is updated with a diagram of how to use it. 

2. Added the link of PI insulator to BOM. 

PI insulator is to be installed between the PTFE tube and the nozzle. It allows printing of up to 290°C.

3. Filament fast forward speed now limited by max feedrate of E.

Fast forward speed is now controlled by max feedrate in the menu instead of steps/s in firmware. It is more handy for switching to other stepper driver with lower steps/s limit, such as TMC2208. 

DSC08383.thumb.jpg.3547b128a855f3cc38a592a89c377363.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you yyh1002For this awsome mod and all the help i got from you to get this working.
    Everything is printed in CPE from Fillamentum. "lever" mechanism is printed in Carbonfiber Nylon.
    Still some finetuning left. But it does the job VERY well.

IMG_20181123_195649.jpg

IMG_20181123_200231.jpg

IMG_20181123_200321.jpg

Edited by sint_vaffel
    • Like 2

15 hours ago, sint_vaffel said:

Thank you yyh1002For this awsome mod and all the help i got from you to get this working.
    Everything is printed in CPE from Fillamentum. "lever" mechanism is printed in Carbonfiber Nylon.
    Still some finetuning left. But it does the job VERY well.

IMG_20181123_195649.jpg

IMG_20181123_200231.jpg

IMG_20181123_200321.jpg

Congrats on being the first to make it from overseas!(except for me;))

• Like 4