DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
On 10/7/2020 at 1:33 PM, pcky said:

1. Sure, see attached STL file for the fan shroud. The hotend cooling fan is a Noctua NF-A4x10 5V. The part cooling fans are stock Ender 3 part cooling fans for 24v. The hotends are the original DXU ones.

2. That Meanwell UHP-350-24 has 350W. Plenty of power for the headed bed and two 40W hotends.

3. Those are BMG extruder clones from Amazon with "pancake" style stepper motors.

DXU Alternative Fan Shroud.stl 1.94 MB · 37 downloads

Any chance you can share the .STEP file of this so I can modify it to use a different fan than the Noctura?

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

@yyh1002, great design and documentation! I have a question in making a DXU extruder on my UMO+.

On the taobao hotend product listing, there are a couple of product options. Am I correct that the DXU design uses the following two options out of the available choices?

2x 1.75 copper heating block using 6MM heating rod

and

2x Metal throat straight-through kit (2*6.35 material pipe)

I measured the diameter of what I think is the heating rod in the DXU step file and the diameter is 6mm. 

Available options on the taobao page are:

• 1.75/0.6 nozzle
    • 1.75/0.4 nozzle
    • 1.75/0.25 nozzle
    • 1.75/0.8 nozzle
    • 1.75/0.5 nozzle
    • 2*6.35 feeding tube
    • Ten straight-through pipes (for PI chips)
    • Ten straight-through pipes (without PI)
    • 1.75 aluminum heating block using 6MM heating rod
    • 1.75 copper heating block using 6MM heating rod
    • 1.75 copper heating block using 4MM heating rod
    • Straight-through kit (2*4 material tubes)
    • Straight-through kit (2*6.35 material tube)
    • Metal throat straight-through kit (2*4 material pipe)
    • Metal throat straight-through kit (2*6.35 material pipe)
    • Small metal throat
    Edited by ansonl

• 2 weeks later...
    On 2/19/2022 at 10:27 PM, ansonl said:

@yyh1002, great design and documentation! I have a question in making a DXU extruder on my UMO+.

On the taobao hotend product listing, there are a couple of product options. Am I correct that the DXU design uses the following two options out of the available choices?

2x 1.75 copper heating block using 6MM heating rod

and

2x Metal throat straight-through kit (2*6.35 material pipe)

I measured the diameter of what I think is the heating rod in the DXU step file and the diameter is 6mm. 

Available options on the taobao page are:

• 1.75/0.6 nozzle
    • 1.75/0.4 nozzle
    • 1.75/0.25 nozzle
    • 1.75/0.8 nozzle
    • 1.75/0.5 nozzle
    • 2*6.35 feeding tube
    • Ten straight-through pipes (for PI chips)
    • Ten straight-through pipes (without PI)
    • 1.75 aluminum heating block using 6MM heating rod
    • 1.75 copper heating block using 6MM heating rod
    • 1.75 copper heating block using 4MM heating rod
    • Straight-through kit (2*4 material tubes)
    • Straight-through kit (2*6.35 material tube)
    • Metal throat straight-through kit (2*4 material pipe)
    • Metal throat straight-through kit (2*6.35 material pipe)
    • Small metal throat

by from aliexpress - I have used this for all my mods -https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000123272550.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.30154c4dM9771i 

31 minutes ago, Garufa said:

anyone ... have converted the DXU configuration files from Marlin version 1 to Marlin 2 (32 bit boards) ? anyone?

@Garufa I ordered the parts and will try to port the config to Marlin 2 if I am able to put together the DXU on my UMO+. I ported config for the UMO+ with UM2+ extruder to Marlin 2 (on the MarlinConfiguration repo) so I can't imagine anything being too different for DXU. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:44 PM, ansonl said:

@Garufa I ordered the parts and will try to port the config to Marlin 2 if I am able to put together the DXU on my UMO+. I ported config for the UMO+ with UM2+ extruder to Marlin 2 (on the MarlinConfiguration repo) so I can't imagine anything being too different for DXU. 

My challenge is how to replicate the switching nozzle, set Z height for each, etc. That is sooo good in the current DXU firmware

10 hours ago, Garufa said:

My challenge is how to replicate the switching nozzle, set Z height for each, etc. That is sooo good in the current DXU firmware

I haven't looked into since I don't have the physical parts but Marlin2 has https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M218.html and HOTEND_OFFSET_Z config option that may work. 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:05 AM, Garufa said:

@Garufa Adjustable Z height for DXU is now implemented in Marlin v2 in pull request #24553. https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/pull/24553 

I have tested my changes with my UMO+ upgraded with DXU and it works great (see below). Creating toolchange gcode to move the printhead to activate the switching was not complicated either besides some trial and error. I haven't published a Marlin configuration for DXU yet, since I am still tuning it. I can provide the toolchange code here if anyone wants it. 

The maintainers haven't merged these changes into the main branch yet. If you find it helpful, bumping the pull request on github could help it get more attention. 🙂

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:18 PM, ansonl said:

@Garufa Adjustable Z height for DXU is now implemented in Marlin v2 in pull request #24553. https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/pull/24553 

I have tested my changes with my UMO+ upgraded with DXU and it works great (see below). Creating toolchange gcode to move the printhead to activate the switching was not complicated either besides some trial and error. I haven't published a Marlin configuration for DXU yet, since I am still tuning it. I can provide the toolchange code here if anyone wants it. 

The maintainers haven't merged these changes into the main branch yet. If you find it helpful, bumping the pull request on github could help it get more attention. 🙂

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

Ansonl 

I am happy to know that there will be a future Marlin 2 _DXU version that can give my printer a second life

thank you for updating this post, I am sure there will be many more interested on it. please post links whenever there is a final version

On 9/27/2022 at 9:54 PM, Garufa said:

Ansonl 

I am happy to know that there will be a future Marlin 2 _DXU version that can give my printer a second life

thank you for updating this post, I am sure there will be many more interested on it. please post links whenever there is a final version

Ansonl, I see you use the UM3 printhead in combination with the DXU; I have done the same but with 1.75mm filament adapter - heat is a problem with the plastic parts of the cores - I have sent the STP file to PCBWAY and for about $25 (with snail shipping) got two stainless steel (2) pieces for my cores (great quality!!)- the STP file (from Gudo and Neotko) can be found located at: http://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-3-flexible-fixed-pointmodification - it opens the door for higher temp material and no more melting plastic.

metal printcore 01.jpeg

metalPrintcore 02.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Ansonl, I see you use the UM3 printhead in combination with the DXU; I have done the same but with 1.75mm filament adapter - heat is a problem with the plastic parts of the cores - I have sent the STP file to PCBWAY and for about $25 (with snail shipping) got two stainless steel (2) pieces for my cores (great quality!!)- the STP file (from Gudo and Neotko) can be found located at: http://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-3-flexible-fixed-pointmodification - it opens the door for higher temp material and no more melting plastic.

metal printcore 01.jpeg

metalPrintcore 02.jpeg

Sorry--- correction - I thought that your printhead is the UM3, but it is the DXU instead , my bad

6 hours ago, Garufa said:

Sorry--- correction - I thought that your printhead is the UM3, but it is the DXU instead , my bad

The taobao seller sells an all-metal throat version of the hotend. I ordered both the ptfe and all-metal versions through superbuy and found the all-metal version to work best. The heatbreak of the all-metal version is a thin pipe of metal instead of the normal version which is a larger diameter metal shell with ptfe tube inside. I could never get the PTFE heatbreak to not leak. 

I actually ordered the all-metal throat version twice since I didn't know what it meant on the seller page and DW Dimensional space (the seller) improved the all metal heatbreak part to have a hex flange around the threaded side of the heatbreak that fits into the heating block. The taobao heatbreak and heatsink have a slightly different design than the Sanbrother product on aliexpress which requires a slight modification to the DXU clamp. 

I'll have to write a post on how to buy and assemble the DXU with the taobao parts and UMO+ at some point. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ansonl said:

The taobao seller sells an all-metal throat version of the hotend. I ordered both the ptfe and all-metal versions through superbuy and found the all-metal version to work best. The heatbreak of the all-metal version is a thin pipe of metal instead of the normal version which is a larger diameter metal shell with ptfe tube inside. I could never get the PTFE heatbreak to not leak. 

I actually ordered the all-metal throat version twice since I didn't know what it meant on the seller page and DW Dimensional space (the seller) improved the all metal heatbreak part to have a hex flange around the threaded side of the heatbreak that fits into the heating block. The taobao heatbreak and heatsink have a slightly different design than the Sanbrother product on aliexpress which requires a slight modification to the DXU clamp. 

I'll have to write a post on how to buy and assemble the DXU with the taobao parts and UMO+ at some point. 

Thank you,I was not aware of the new version - just ordered on BHINER but difficult to know which one is all metal…..

On 02.10.2022 at 03:20, ansonl said:

Продавец на таобао продает цельнометаллическую версию хотэнда. Я заказал как тефлоновую, так и цельнометаллическую версии через superbuy и обнаружил, что цельнометаллическая версия работает лучше всего. Терморазрыв цельнометаллической версии представляет собой тонкую металлическую трубку вместо обычной версии, которая представляет собой металлическую оболочку большего диаметра с трубкой из ПТФЭ внутри. Я никогда не мог сделать так, чтобы терморазрыв PTFE не протекал. 

На самом деле я дважды заказывал цельнометаллическую версию горловины, так как не знал, что это означает на странице продавца, а DW Dimensional space (продавец) улучшил цельнометаллическую терморазрывную часть, чтобы иметь шестигранный фланец вокруг резьбовой стороны терморазрыва, который подходит к нагревательному блоку. Теплоотвод и радиатор taobao имеют немного другую конструкцию, чем продукт Sanbrother на aliexpress, что требует небольшой модификации зажима DXU. 

В какой-то момент мне придется написать пост о том, как купить и собрать DXU с деталями на таобао и UMO+. 

give a link, on metal

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

ansonl wrote- If you find it helpful, bumping the pull request on github could help it get more attention. 

how do I do that?

11 minutes ago, Garufa said:

ansonl wrote- If you find it helpful, bumping the pull request on github could help it get more attention. 

how do I do that?

You can bump it by creating an account on github and adding a comment to the pull request thread. If you tag @ thinkyhead in the post, he is the project maintainer and will be notified of it. 

On 10/3/2022 at 6:44 AM, qwerty8224 said:

give a link, on metal

All metal heatbreak (throat) is an option on the same taobao link 

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-9918354853.34.576d75aec3Kk6M&id=521401997290

on the DXU BOM. When ordering, it has options for 4mm and 6mm heater block block which means heater cartridge hole size. I also misordered this the first time. You want the 4mm option if using a similar heater cartridge to Ultimaker. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, ansonl said:

All metal heatbreak (throat) is an option on the same taobao link 

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-9918354853.34.576d75aec3Kk6M&id=521401997290

on the DXU BOM. When ordering, it has options for 4mm and 6mm heater block block which means heater cartridge hole size. I also misordered this the first time. You want the 4mm option if using a similar heater cartridge to Ultimaker. 

San Brother https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804695311794.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US in Aliexpress is selling a similar version too, I am waiting for the pieces I have purchased via Bhiner

18 hours ago, Garufa said:

San Brother https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804695311794.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US in Aliexpress is selling a similar version too, I am waiting for the pieces I have purchased via Bhiner

Looks like their version of an all metal heatbreak hotend. If you end up buying it I would be interested in more pictures and how well it works!

On 11/5/2022 at 9:21 AM, ansonl said:

Looks like their version of an all metal heatbreak hotend. If you end up buying it I would be interested in more pictures and how well it works!

yes I will, I have received the order from BHINER and they are not all metal heatbreak, I could not resist the 11-11 sale on Aliexpress and purchased one, no clue if it is all metal heatbreak, but will know when it arrives.

you are rigth, to adapt it to the DXU, additional modifications are required, being teflon tube lined, I see no advantages over the current hardware design.

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

Ansonl

you wrote “ I haven't published a Marlin configuration for DXU yet, since I am still tuning it. I can provide the toolchange code here if anyone wants it. “ 

could you share your configuration for Marlin 2 ?

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 11/25/2022 at 11:59 PM, Garufa said:

Ansonl

you wrote “ I haven't published a Marlin configuration for DXU yet, since I am still tuning it. I can provide the toolchange code here if anyone wants it. “ 

could you share your configuration for Marlin 2 ?

My Ultimaker Original+ DXU config for Marlin 2 is here https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Configurations/tree/import-2.1.x/config/examples/Ultimaker/Ultimaker Original Plus DXU

If you have Ultimaker 2+ sized case you will need to modify the printer size (X_BED_SIZE, Y_BED_SIZE, Z_MAX_POS) in the config and also offset the toolchange command (EVENT_GCODE_TOOLCHANGE_T0, EVENT_GCODE_TOOLCHANGE_T1)by the difference in size to accommodate.

Edited by ansonl
    • Like 1
    • Heart 1

3 hours ago, ansonl said:

My Ultimaker Original+ DXU config for Marlin 2 is here https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Configurations/tree/import-2.1.x/config/examples/Ultimaker/Ultimaker Original Plus DXU

If you have Ultimaker 2+ sized case you will need to modify the printer size (X_BED_SIZE, Y_BED_SIZE, Z_MAX_POS) in the config and also offset the toolchange command (EVENT_GCODE_TOOLCHANGE_T0, EVENT_GCODE_TOOLCHANGE_T1)by the difference in size to accommodate.

Thank you ansonl - this is a great start to make my configuration and testing for my UM2+. !!!!

On 11/28/2022 at 7:53 AM, ansonl said:

Ansonl

are you using the UM2+ motherboard?

20 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Ansonl

are you using the UM2+ motherboard?

Yes I am. The UMO+ has the same motherboard as the UM2+. The only differences that I can think of between the two generations is the printer case size, belts, LCD controller, pulleys, feeder, and extruder.