Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+


Recommended Posts

Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

This setup looks great. I’ve read through all the files and looked at the stl files. I am trying to make this work on my umo+.

Since the um2 and umo+ share a lot of the same hardware. I figured it wouldn’t be too much adjusting. I was thinking maybe something like this 

-Print x mirrored stl files

-Use the same hardware from the bom 

-Slight tweaks on the firmware

-Do I need um2+ upgrade on the umo+ to start off with?

i don’t mean to bust in on the thread but figured this would be the best place to start

 

 

 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • Replies 200
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Hey guys,   I would like to share a lever action dual extrusion solution I came up with for Ultimaker 2+. The approach is based on the great effort everyone put into Mark2 and Ultimaker

    Some recent timelapse and photos of DXU.    

    Below the sample printing video with PLA+PVA after modification.      

    Posted Images

    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 11/26/2018 at 11:58 AM, ProSharp said:

    -Print x mirrored stl files

    -Use the same hardware from the bom 

    -Slight tweaks on the firmware

    -Do I need um2+ upgrade on the umo+ to start off with?

    I think you might need to swap the plywood sliding blocks with UM2 nylon blocks because the cross shaft on UMO is the other way around. 

    No need to get the UM2+ extrusion upgrade. 90% of the parts on printhead are useless for this setup. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    I tried to order the required hotend kit from taobao but unfortunately, the seller didn't react for weeks. As long as there is no other source for the hotend kit, it looks like we're lost.... 😞

     

    Edited by mmame
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    I strongly recommend you stick with the mark2.  Much better tested.  It works quite well.  Maybe better than the UM3.  And everytyhing you need to buy is available.  On the downside it costs around 500 euros.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    Wouldn’t it be very expensive to upgrade a umo+ with the Mark 2? Compared to this solution with a few tweaks

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    3 hours ago, mmame said:

    I tried to order the required hotend kit from taobao but unfortunately, the seller didn't react for weeks. As long as there is no other source for the hotend kit, it looks like we're lost.... 😞

     

    Normally the seller is very responsive, something probably went wrong. Taobao is a local marketplace, unlike Aliexpress. Sellers ship items overseas through the Taobao's official parcel transfer service. Sellers normally don't directly sent international mail. It's possible that sometime the order is not placed correctly. If you would like to PM me your order number, I'm happy to check with the seller what's going on for you. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 12/8/2018 at 12:31 AM, yyh1002 said:

    Normally the seller is very responsive, something probably went wrong. [...]If you would like to PM me your order number, I'm happy to check with the seller what's going on for you. 

    Thanks for the support! Items were out of stock and taobao messaging function didn't work as expected. Everything went well. By the way, the hotend seems to be back in stock 😉

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    17 hours ago, mmame said:

    Thanks for the support! Items were out of stock and taobao messaging function didn't work as expected. Everything went well. By the way, the hotend seems to be back in stock 😉

    You are welcome. I updated the BOM with the specific options to avoid confusion. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    Some recent timelapse and photos of DXU.

     

    DSC08623.thumb.jpg.f2e73609b183e2e2b56630fea90988cf.jpg

    DSC08631.thumb.jpg.7f13684f0e7cb1c1b94611a9935e21e0.jpg

     

    Edited by yyh1002
    • Like 4
    • Thanks 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    Very Nice printing!!

    You finish to convince me to try to print this model!😁

    Thank you too for the calibration model, it's very helpful!

    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3318554

     

    Edited by 6maker
    add new info
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    Hi,

     

    today I got my parts for the DXU update.

    Now I have to order a few parts like the bearings and than let it rock 🙂

     

    I will post a few pictures when the update is build.

     

    Best wishes from Germany 

     

    IMG_20190110_114302.thumb.jpg.cbc05ac80d15c137bfde61130ad32409.jpg

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 12/28/2018 at 5:56 AM, 6maker said:

    Very Nice printing!!

    You finish to convince me to try to print this model!😁

    Thank you too for the calibration model, it's very helpful!

    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3318554

     

    I only created the Z calibration model. The XY calibration model belongs to Mark2. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 1/10/2019 at 12:23 PM, DanielSun said:

    Hi,

     

    today I got my parts for the DXU update.

    Now I have to order a few parts like the bearings and than let it rock 🙂

     

    I will post a few pictures when the update is build.

     

    Best wishes from Germany 

     

    IMG_20190110_114302.thumb.jpg.cbc05ac80d15c137bfde61130ad32409.jpg

    Nice 

    Can you help me to get this parts what are on the picture?
    i live in switzerland 😉

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 1/13/2019 at 9:07 PM, Flowbey said:

    Nice 

    Can you help me to get this parts what are on the picture?
    i live in switzerland 😉

    Hi, 

     

    you have to look for an agent wich orders for you.

    I make a lot with CNC's and buy all from one seller over Aliexpress and I asked him if he would order it for me and send it to me.

     

    But look for an agent service they will amount a few euro and will send it to you.

     

    Best wishes

    Daniel

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    Я построил DXU))) спасибо за отличный дизайн, который мне действительно нравится))) 

    осталось подружиться с ним или приручить этого зверя))) 

    IMG_20190122_085919.jpg

    IMG_20190122_182402.jpg

    Edited by qwerty8224
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 1/10/2019 at 12:23 PM, DanielSun said:

    Hi,

     

    today I got my parts for the DXU update.

    Now I have to order a few parts like the bearings and than let it rock 🙂

     

    I will post a few pictures when the update is build.

     

    Best wishes from Germany 

     

    IMG_20190110_114302.thumb.jpg.cbc05ac80d15c137bfde61130ad32409.jpg

    Hi, 

    I have to took a decision between 3D printing and cnc milling.

    Both are great hobbies but I have to choose one and don't have the time for all hobbies.

    So I decided to make cnc as my primary hobby (waf), if you know one from Germany who is interested in an UM2+ clone 1.75mm with the parts for dxu upgrade look here.

     

    https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/achtung-selten-ultimaker-2-extended-clone-dxu-update-1-75mm/1038553019-249-8240?utm_source=sharesheet&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

     

    Thanks and best wishes 

    daniel

    Edited by DanielSun
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    Thank you for your fantastic work. I really liked this compact and efficient design.

    The documentation is thorough and the design is well thought. It's not difficult to print and assemble.

    I printed it with transparent PC, so it has its style.  

    I got pretty good results with it. And most of all, the DXU itself look really good. 😎

     

    IMG_20190127_232248_BURST1.thumb.jpg.d1c534353f11bc1476c856dac3edc337.jpg

     

    IMG_20190127_232237.thumb.jpg.0d7cc4b739837f55560eb186de3c9c0a.jpg

     

    IMG_20190131_071453.thumb.jpg.9e3e66ed2b1ba3ae1d13e67cd0f4b8ca.jpg

     

    IMG_20190131_071224.thumb.jpg.7e692046d8daaeb7f680050749384563.jpg

     

    IMG_20190131_070001.thumb.jpg.cf72e0e26c9fb8111c2548d0c9f7c595.jpg

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

    .

     

    Edited by qwerty8224
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 1/16/2019 at 11:25 PM, DanielSun said:

    you have to look for an agent wich orders for you.

    I make a lot with CNC's and buy all from one seller over Aliexpress and I asked him if he would order it for me and send it to me. 

     

    But look for an agent service they will amount a few euro and will send it to you.

    Thank you for the tip! Actually just doing a regular internet search for "Taobao agent" several website pop up. So far I'm pretty happy with http://bhiner.com - you can simply copy and paste the urls in their search bar. With all the required parts from Taobao I end up with around 53€ (don't know if there is additional shipping costs). I'll edit this post when I ordered and tell you how it goes.

    BTW: which diametres and lengths are the heater elements and PT100 for these heating blocks?

    Edited by Razanur
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 2/11/2019 at 7:31 PM, Razanur said:

    BTW: which diametres and lengths are the heater elements and PT100 for these heating blocks?

    For what it worth, here is what I measured.

    The diameter of the hole for the heater is 4.05mm and 16mm deep. So maybe for 4mm heater.

    The diameter of the PT100 hole is 3.3mm also 16mm deep.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    18 hours ago, alexjx said:

    For what it worth, here is what I measured.

    The diameter of the hole for the heater is 4.05mm and 16mm deep. So maybe for 4mm heater.

    The diameter of the PT100 hole is 3.3mm also 16mm deep.

    Thanks a lot - that helps! Do you reccon, one could drill the heater hole to 6mm?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    2 hours ago, Razanur said:

    Thanks a lot - that helps! Do you reccon, one could drill the heater hole to 6mm?

    I'm afraid not... since one of the walls is already much less than 1mm thick. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 12/27/2018 at 5:53 AM, yyh1002 said:

    Some recent timelapse and photos of DXU.

     

    DSC08623.thumb.jpg.f2e73609b183e2e2b56630fea90988cf.jpg

    DSC08631.thumb.jpg.7f13684f0e7cb1c1b94611a9935e21e0.jpg

     

    Thanks for your posts, I have ordered most parts and will try to make the convertion for my UM2+ Extended. What's the difference between the two extended firmware versions ?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...