DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Hello, I have modified my SANJIU Z360 (Ultimaker 2 extended plus-  clone) first with the original DXU design and after some under extrusion problems I finally got it tuned. now i have printed the second version of the head / fans and it is working very well.  THANK YOU !!!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 2:10 AM, hakkattakk said:

Hi all,

I just bought an Ultimaker 2+ Extended and since I have used a CR-10 for about 2 years I still have a lot of 1.75mm filament and the 1.75mm filament is highly available in my country, therfore I would like to convert the UM2+ to 1.75mm.

I would also like to try out dual extrusion and direct drive, and I found this thread, which seems to include the 1.75mm part and also the dual extrusion part. It also seems to do it for around the same price as it would cost to only do the 1.75mm conversion.

I have looked a lot into the BOM and the seller from Taobao's store and found that almost all that is needed is possible to buy from this seller. Are there any reasons why you choose not to do that? Bad quality or something like that?

Here is the list I have created:

Item Amount Price/Item Total Price (RMB)  
UM2 1.75 Hotend Kit (Heatsink, Bowden Coupler) 2 35 70
UM2 1.75 Hotend Heat Block 2 25 50
290°C High Temp Print Hotend Insulator 2*4*1 2 32 64
UM2 Heater Cartridge 2 55 110
UM2 PT100 Sensor 2 42 84
2*6.35 PTFE Bowden Tube 2 15 30
6.35 Bowden Coupler 2 1 2
1.75 Filament Feeder 2      
NEMA17 42*48 Stepper Motor 1 49 49
3510 12v Blower Fan 2      
3010 5v Hotend Cooling Fan 1 7.5 7.5
Linear Bearing LM6LUU 6*12*35mm 2 16 32
Total:     498.5

Can I still use the original feeder but with a 2*6 PTFE Bowden tube and then buy this extruder: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-9900754940.72.2ada2d37ndiKyj&id=525270842166 and use a bowden tube made for 1.75mm or would that cause problems? Maybe it's better to buy two of the metal feeder? If so, I guess I only need two "normal" 1.75mm bowden tubes? The 2*4*1 insulator is out of stock right now, I guess 2*4*1.5 wont work, so I need to wait until it's back in stock before I can order anyway.

One of the reasons I would like to order everything or most of the stuff from the same seller is that we pay a fixed tax/package here, the other is to save on shipping, and also that I get all the items at the same time 🙂

Sorry I didn't see your comment earlier.

You can use 2*4*1.5 PI insulator and the original 2+ feeder with 2*6.35 tube with DXU. 

In the BOM I try to list a generic link where possible. Only when the parts are very rear, I specifies the Taobao seller. All the parts from the taobao seller are very good quality, you can absolutely by all possible parts from them.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:24 AM, klaasie said:

I got it working with 2,85mm filament, i ordered 26mm Stainless Steel heat break with teflon PTFE tube for 3mm filament ( 26mm heatbreak withe PTFE on aliexpress ) , 

Teflon PTFE tube OD 4mm / ID 3mm on aliexpress 

Have it working for a few weeks now without problems

I have the same question as burdickjp. Why do you need to replace the original heat break with the all threaded one? 

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

I followed the blog of burdickjp himself and that worked for me

On 5/15/2019 at 3:39 PM, burdickjp said:

Here's my first blog post about the hot ends:

https://burdickjp.gitlab.io/2019/05/14/dxu-1.html

Verdict: I think I've found an easy way to run 2.85 mm filament.

Edited by klaasie

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, well done to DXU for making this possible.

Silly question here, I've noticed that both nozzles are never the same height which makes sense given you don't want to drag the second nozzle over the work of the first nozzle. Does the Z axis adjust for the different nozzle height? Also, when installing the heater blocks into the head should these be offset by a certain measurement? and if the Z axis adjusts for the different nozzle height where is this calibrated?

Apologies if this question has already been covered, thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, tman79 said:

Does the Z axis adjust for the different nozzle height? Also, when installing the heater blocks into the head should these be offset by a certain measurement? and if the Z axis adjusts for the different nozzle height where is this calibrated?

Yes. It does. Same as mark2, firmware will adjust the Z height accordingly.

After install this mod, you will have calibrate X, Y aligment and as well as Z. Similar to you leveling your bed.

The difference is that, you have to manually do that (with GUI guided you through it of cause).

Jia

17 minutes ago, alexjx said:

Yes. It does. Same as mark2, firmware will adjust the Z height accordingly.

After install this mod, you will have calibrate X, Y aligment and as well as Z. Similar to you leveling your bed.

The difference is that, you have to manually do that (with GUI guided you through it of cause).

Jia

Hey thanks for your quick reply,

So i guess when i mount the heater blocks I just make sure they are offset to each other, To be honest I don't know a great deal about Mark2 but that will change soon enough. 🙂

The GUI you talk about I assume is on the printers LCD like the bed leveling?

hey thanks again much appreciated.

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    10 hours ago, tman79 said:

So i guess when i mount the heater blocks I just make sure they are offset to each other

The hardware will constrain you to have a rough nozzle offset of x19mm, y0mm, and z2mm. It then gets fine tuned by calibration models. The calibrated offset, say x19.03, y-0.06, z1.94, is manually set on the LCD manu to firmware. 

Basically, the dual print Gcode from Cura gives absolute coordinates, without any offset between the two nozzles. The firmware will step in and shift nozzle 2 relative to nozzle 1 according to the offset values. 

Edited by yyh1002

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, much appreciated.

Bonjour

Je ne trouve pas les ventilateurs 35X10 et même les 30x15

Serait il possible de consevoir le support pour des ventilateurs comme sur original

Merci

Hello

I can not find the fans 35X10 and even the 30x15

Would it be possible to consume support for fans like on original

Thank you

1 hour ago, Anzen said:

Hi Anzen

these are the fans I used

Hot end 5V

https://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/sunon-fans/MC30100V1-000U-A99/259-1541-ND/2757811

12V blowers for cooling

https://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/BFB03512HHA-AF00/603-1361-ND/2560485

these work and fit great in my setup

1 hour ago, Anzen said:

Bonjour

Je ne trouve pas les ventilateurs 35X10 et même les 30x15

Serait il possible de consevoir le support pour des ventilateurs comme sur original

Merci

Hello

I can not find the fans 35X10 and even the 30x15

Would it be possible to consume support for fans like on original

Thank you

Hi All,

Can anyone photo actual photos of the PI  Hotend Insulator 2*4*1 please

Thanks

Luke

12 hours ago, luke199 said:

Hi All,

Can anyone photo actual photos of the PI  Hotend Insulator 2*4*1 please

Thanks

Luke

Here you are. But actually mine's 2*4*1.5, with 0.5 thicker for better insolation.

IMG_20190917_072742.jpg

• Like 2

Great thank you for the photos, so hard to get hold of.  Aliexpress contacts I have made have asked for photos

Perfect thank you, having so much trouble trying to get holdo and PI  Hotend Insulator and the suggested website to use, is really hard to use.

Hey, all

I managed to get aliexpress  REPRAP store to get the PI  Hotend Insulator product for me, the even used your photo Alexjx until they can take a fresh one. you can now purchase on aliexpress which I find better than taobao. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000190893355.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.29283c00n8Usky&mp=1

I also asked Aliexpress seller SANJIUPrinter 3D Research Center Store and he managed to source  the insulator.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000192534992.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.1e76454cuxyrYf

I've been using this dual head system with success, it's fantastic, just a question with bed levelling though.

Let's say I want to re level the print bed 

is the process

* Use the bed level wizard using nozzle 1

* then after that, go through the process of doing the nozzle 1 offset and then nozzle 2 offset? 

I ask this because going through the wizard and turning the knobs on the print bed you would never be able to get them exactly the same every time, therefore making the nozzle 1 and 2 offset to the print bed higher or lower.

So is it a good idea to level the bed then do nozzle 1 and 2 offset every time I want to level the print bed.?

thanks

12 hours ago, tman79 said:

* then after that, go through the process of doing the nozzle 1 offset and then nozzle 2 offset? 

I'm not sure about the "nozzle 1" offset you are referring...

The "regular" bed leveling wizzard will guide you to level the bed, and set the "active"nozzle" offset.

So I normally do that with nozzle 1. After this the bed should be leveled relative to the nozzle. 

All you have to do is the set the offset of the other nozzle, and that is what the function in the "dual" manual does.

Jia

17 hours ago, alexjx said:

I'm not sure about the "nozzle 1" offset you are referring...

The "regular" bed leveling wizzard will guide you to level the bed, and set the "active"nozzle" offset.

So I normally do that with nozzle 1. After this the bed should be leveled relative to the nozzle. 

All you have to do is the set the offset of the other nozzle, and that is what the function in the "dual" manual does.

Jia

Thanks for that Jia,

what I was doing was leveling the bed with nozzel 1, then I would go into the dual extruder menu and set nozzel 1 offset, then change to extruder 2 and set nozzel two offset.

I wasn't sure if every time leveled the bed if I had to do all of the three steps i mentioned above, but it makes sense just leveling the bed with nozzel 1 and then change to nozzel two and set it's offset.

a bit silly of me.

thanks for your help.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:22 AM, tman79 said:

I wasn't sure if every time leveled the bed if I had to do all of the three steps i mentioned above, but it makes sense just leveling the bed with nozzel 1 and then change to nozzel two and set it's offset.

There is advantage of doing your three step levelling. Because the standard bed levelling detects corners of the bed with nozzle 1, while the nozzle offset detects with center of the bed, there might be discrepancy due to glass not being perfectly flat. However I think the nozzle 1 z offset levelling will overwrite you three point levelling. But IMO the z offset detection is too coarse anyway, i.e. moving increment by turning dial is too much. So what I do to calibrate the z offset is:

1. Do three point levelling with nozzle 1

2. Swap to nozzle 2, do z offset levelling, get a rough offset

3. Print the z calibration model with 0.02 layer height to fine tune the z offset, and update the value in menu. 

Once the z offset between 1 and 2 is calibrated, you shouldn't need to redo z offset levelling in the dual print menu unless you did something to throw away the relative position between the two nozzles, such as changing nozzles.

The z offset is very valuable, it takes some effort to get it perfect, it shouldn't be affected by bed levelling. 

In you are only changing beds, you only need to do the standard bed levelling with nozzle 1. Both nozzle 1 and 2 should be good to go. 

32 minutes ago, yyh1002 said:

There is advantage of doing your three step levelling. Because the standard bed levelling detects corners of the bed with nozzle 1, while the nozzle offset detects with center of the bed, there might be discrepancy due to glass not being perfectly flat. However I think the nozzle 1 z offset levelling will overwrite you three point levelling. But IMO the z offset detection is too coarse anyway, i.e. moving increment by turning dial is too much. So what I do to calibrate the z offset is:

1. Do three point levelling with nozzle 1

2. Swap to nozzle 2, do z offset levelling, get a rough offset

3. Print the z calibration model with 0.02 layer height to fine tune the z offset, and update the value in menu. 

Once the z offset between 1 and 2 is calibrated, you shouldn't need to redo z offset levelling in the dual print menu unless you did something to throw away the relative position between the two nozzles, such as changing nozzles.

The z offset is very valuable, it takes some effort to get it perfect, it shouldn't be affected by bed levelling. 

In you are only changing beds, you only need to do the standard bed levelling with nozzle 1. Both nozzle 1 and 2 should be good to go. 

Thanks for the explanation, this was the information I was after. I have to be honest I'm unsure if I put enough time into the Z model calibration. Just to clarify, with the left and right Z models am I looking for the point where the left and right measure the same height from the print bed using claipers? If so do I then adjust the Z offset according to the Z calibration PDF?

many thanks

2 hours ago, tman79 said:

Thanks for the explanation, this was the information I was after. I have to be honest I'm unsure if I put enough time into the Z model calibration. Just to clarify, with the left and right Z models am I looking for the point where the left and right measure the same height from the print bed using claipers? If so do I then adjust the Z offset according to the Z calibration PDF?

many thanks

For example, in the extruder offset menu, say the detected z offset is 1.90. 

Feel the flush point on the z calibration print with finger.

If the +0.04 section is where the blue is flush with yellow, it means nozzle 2 is 0.04mm lower than ideal.

In extruder offset menu, increasing z offset will raise nozzle 2 (this is where it's confusing). 

Therefore, changing z offset to 1.94 will make the two nozzles level. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.6067f130c64d60b7b356c687c19f0dca.PNG

20 minutes ago, yyh1002 said:

For example, in the extruder offset menu, say the detected z offset is 1.90. 

Feel the flush point on the z calibration print with finger.

If the +0.04 section is where the blue is flush with yellow, it means nozzle 2 is 0.04mm lower than ideal.

In extruder offset menu, increasing z offset will raise nozzle 2 (this is where it's confusing). 

Therefore, changing z offset to 1.94 will make the two nozzles level. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.6067f130c64d60b7b356c687c19f0dca.PNG

that makes perfect sense, thanks so much!

Hi, everyone,

congratulation for the great work yyh1002, very impressive!

l do have a question:

The hot end unit that moves up and down surely has some play in it otherwise it would not move up and down.

When the hot end is in the down position how is the unit held in its precise x-y-location?
    On my UM3 the precision comes from the spring pressing the moving hot end unit down against a tapered seat in a metal part at the bottom of the head.
    Which part or which lay-out in your design ensures the x-y-position precisely?

Or do I expect problems where there is none??

Thanks and sorry to ask this after everyone says it prints fine.

Hey guys,

just to confirm the PI insulator goes between the nozzle and boden tube? has anyone had any problems with leaks or disassembly where the boden meets the insulator?