DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

I on aliexpress have failed.  finding them and a few that I found cost 10 times more, so I got the acquired on taobao, I simply registered an account on taobao and then I entrusted to superbuy, I choose the product that buys it for me, I pay my order  and I speeded up by reliable and fast express courier service.

hello, yes Chinese is difficult, you can use eighth notes and use an online translator, after this you use superbuy or any other brokerage service, they think all their international shipments, I'm just waiting for the goods purchased for modification to arrive  to DXU via DHL

On 6/9/2020 at 3:55 AM, dadoblu_2000 said:

I made the change to dxu but the second extruder turns in the opposite direction how can I change the direction of rotation?

Have a browse in the menu on the printer, there is an option called motor invert or something similar. You can invert the E2 motor there. 

7 hours ago, yyh1002 said:

Have a browse in the menu on the printer, there is an option called motor invert or something similar. You can invert the E2 motor there. 

Yes, thank you very much, I had not thought of checking the menu of the printout, I am also making the modification to the extruder doing the B2D, the steppers relating to the motor are already set in the DXU firmware or I have to replace them based on the formula you indicate in the project and above all how do I insert them permanently in the firmware?

2 hours ago, dadoblu_2000 said:

Yes, thank you very much, I had not thought of checking the menu of the printout, I am also making the modification to the extruder doing the B2D, the steppers relating to the motor are already set in the DXU firmware or I have to replace them based on the formula you indicate in the project and above all how do I insert them permanently in the firmware?

The default esteps is for stock extruder. You do need to change it. The estep value can also be set through the menu. 

ok great news

Could the stock UM2+ hotend fan fit in the "06 Fan Cover 2510.stl"?

Anyone use DUX with Duet 2 Wifi?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turbo-Power said:

Anyone use DUX with Duet 2 Wifi?

I am.

On 7/21/2020 at 12:53 PM, bigrjsuto said:

Could the stock UM2+ hotend fan fit in the "06 Fan Cover 2510.stl"?

Stock fan is 25*25*7, you might need a 3mm packer to fit it nicely. 

But be aware that Fan Cover 2510 is not compatible with Fan Shroud 3510. It's a legacy model to be used with Shroud 3015. 

Only Fan Cover 3010 works with Shroud 3510. 

10 hours ago, alexjx said:

I am.

Can you share config files, and macro files?

3 hours ago, yyh1002 said:

Stock fan is 25*25*7, you might need a 3mm packer to fit it nicely. 

But be aware that Fan Cover 2510 is not compatible with Fan Shroud 3510. It's a legacy model to be used with Shroud 3015. 

Only Fan Cover 3010 works with Shroud 3510. 

Good to know. Thanks! Great work here by the way.

• Like 1

yyh1002,

The Hot End Assembly has PFTE Tubing through the heat sink and shaft above it.

Do you know of an all metal alternative? In case I want to go higher temp?

Thanks,

Bigrjsuto

On 7/28/2020 at 4:43 AM, bigrjsuto said:

yyh1002,

The Hot End Assembly has PFTE Tubing through the heat sink and shaft above it.

Do you know of an all metal alternative? In case I want to go higher temp?

Thanks,

Bigrjsuto

The PI insulator allows to print up to 290 degrees with PTFE. 

After looking at the comments, and seeing the September delivery estimates for the parts req'd based on the BOM, I realized I actually have an extra S3 (Unused) printhead assembly which I'd needed for my S3, but haven't gotten around to installing it. 

Now wondering, would the S3 printhead be an easy mod for my UM2+ or should I just go with the BOM and order the necessary parts?

Really amazing work btw.. I almost feel like I owe it to your efforts and should just build this DXU project rather than cheating with my surplus S3 Printhead. 😉

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Hi netminder,

The UMS3 use 8mm shaft for the print head, while UM2/2+ use 6mm shaft for the print head.

So there might be some issues here..

As far as I know, the UM3 use 6mm shafts.

Edited.

Just for your info.

Well, good luck with your modification.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Removing text.

someone can explain to me how to perform XY calibration, I just can't figure out how to do it

On 8/27/2020 at 2:55 AM, dadoblu_2000 said:

someone can explain to me how to perform XY calibration, I just can't figure out how to do it

You can refer to the mark2 guide https://magnetic-tool-changer.com/step-6-calibration.html

@yyh1002

Thanks for your help so far.

I got a ton of 2.85 material I need to burn through before I start using your great DXU design ( I already have it built and ready).

So I set up a 2 in 1 (y splitter) setup on my UM2E+ with my older UM2 stepper as the 2nd extruder. This gives me two different e-steps I need to compensate for. Do you know if your firmware could work with a 2 in 1 setup? Does it allow for e-step adjustment of individual extruders? I know the Mark2 firmware allows for the adjustment right on the ulticontroller and your firmware is based off of that.

If so, then I could put your firmware on my printer now and not have to switch again when I'm ready for 1.75 material.

Thanks,

Bigrjsuto

17 hours ago, bigrjsuto said:

@yyh1002

Thanks for your help so far.

I got a ton of 2.85 material I need to burn through before I start using your great DXU design ( I already have it built and ready).

So I set up a 2 in 1 (y splitter) setup on my UM2E+ with my older UM2 stepper as the 2nd extruder. This gives me two different e-steps I need to compensate for. Do you know if your firmware could work with a 2 in 1 setup? Does it allow for e-step adjustment of individual extruders? I know the Mark2 firmware allows for the adjustment right on the ulticontroller and your firmware is based off of that.

If so, then I could put your firmware on my printer now and not have to switch again when I'm ready for 1.75 material.

Thanks,

Bigrjsuto

Hi Bigrjsuto, 

Yes, it allows individual estep setting for extruders. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to interrupt with a random question here:

Did anyone from Israel ordered an hotend on the Taobao store?

The seller is trying to reach you (which he can't) and asked me to help out here.

Please PM me if you see this post. 

@yyh1002 It's a pain to try to make the original UM2 stepper work as the 2nd extruder. Do you have an AliExpress link that you KNOW is good? I found one that says it's a UM2+ extruder https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000398763399.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5a2379e5a1OeM6&algo_pvid=92dfdf58-6ebb-4830-aa39-8b684eabd73d&algo_expid=92dfdf58-6ebb-4830-aa39-8b684eabd73d-26&btsid=0bb0623f15999570827028856ea2ea&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_ but the dimensions are off so and not many reviews so I don't trust it.