DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
6 hours ago, dadoblu_2000 said:

i use superbuy.com for taobao shopping

Won't let me sign up. Keeps saying "Please enter 6-20 characters, letters, and numbers" regardless of what I put in the password field. Tried Firefox, Chrome, & Microsoft Edge.

On 9/13/2020 at 1:06 PM, bigrjsuto said:

@yyh1002 It's a pain to try to make the original UM2 stepper work as the 2nd extruder. Do you have an AliExpress link that you KNOW is good? I found one that says it's a UM2+ extruder https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000398763399.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5a2379e5a1OeM6&algo_pvid=92dfdf58-6ebb-4830-aa39-8b684eabd73d&algo_expid=92dfdf58-6ebb-4830-aa39-8b684eabd73d-26&btsid=0bb0623f15999570827028856ea2ea&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_ but the dimensions are off so and not many reviews so I don't trust it.

Sorry I don't have a good Aliexpress link. You need a 48mm long NEMA17 motor. The popular ones usually don't come with correct connector. You need to change the connector yourself in that case. 

4 minutes ago, yyh1002 said:

Sorry I don't have a good Aliexpress link. You need a 48mm long NEMA17 motor. The popular ones usually don't come with correct connector. You need to change the connector yourself in that case. 

It's all good. I emailed fbrc8 and they delivered one yesterday. I paid more but I also didn't want to wait 4-8 weeks. Thanks for following up.

Really nice work here ...I try mark2  put lost a lot space print, I will try this now but I would like to know if can I use the extra fun from U2 that I have and only buy the kit nozzle?

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Just finished my DXU mod (of course with some modifications 😉) and thought you might appreciate some photos of it:

FD4D61DE-85B6-4AB9-95DF-CABD52F62339.jpeg

9F0B156A-45CD-45D6-8C7B-8149015FED3D.jpeg

image.jpg

10086EF0-479A-4551-A681-819FE1752564.jpeg

Edited by pcky
    • Like 3

@pcky

Great looking mod!

Three questions:

1. Could you share your modified hot end design?

2. Why did you remake the the Power supply enclosure?

3. What extruders are those?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, bigrjsuto said:

@pcky

Great looking mod!

Three questions:

1. Could you share your modified hot end design?

2. Why did you remake the the Power supply enclosure?

3. What extruders are those?

Thanks.

1. Sure, see attached STL file for the fan shroud. The hotend cooling fan is a Noctua NF-A4x10 5V. The part cooling fans are stock Ender 3 part cooling fans for 24v. The hotends are the original DXU ones.

2. That Meanwell UHP-350-24 has 350W. Plenty of power for the headed bed and two 40W hotends.

3. Those are BMG extruder clones from Amazon with "pancake" style stepper motors.

DXU Alternative Fan Shroud.stl

• Like 1

how do i adjust the docking position? when I switch from extruder 2 to extruder 1 the lever moves but does not get stuck and therefore it releases, I have to make the lever run longer but I don't know where to find the values that regulate the transition from extruder 2 to extruder 1.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:49 AM, dadoblu_2000 said:

how do i adjust the docking position? when I switch from extruder 2 to extruder 1 the lever moves but does not get stuck and therefore it releases, I have to make the lever run longer but I don't know where to find the values that regulate the transition from extruder 2 to extruder 1.

Use hand to turn lever to lower nozzle 2. Then adjust dock position in menu so the front of lever is touching the back edge of dock. You should be able to get it work with the default travel distance. Make sure the head is close enough to the dock. The travel distance is only adjustable in firmware source code. 

Edited by yyh1002

Hi,

I’ve converted my UM2+ Extended to the DXU (thanks to everyone who contributed to this and the Mark2). I’ve adapted it to use 2.85mm filament using the information on the blog from @burdickjpand from @Klaasie regarding the heat break and 4mm OD 3mm ID PTFE tube.

I’ve got the following problem with under extrusion and I hope someone can give me a pointer in the right direction. When I try to print something after about 10 layers, no more filament comes through and the printer carries on printing in thin air. I can change the filament no problem because the nozzle is not blocked.

If I try an extrusion calibration of 100mm filament and the bowden tube is not connected to the headset then 100mm comes out of the bowden tube as expected. When I try the same test with the bowden tube connected and measure at the back where the filament enters the feeder (original UM2+) then only about 50mm goes through.

I’ve tried 3 different heat break combinations (original AliExpress, 26mm Stainless Steel heat break, E3D V6 Titanium) with practically the same results every time. The PFTE Tube is 4mm outer and 3mm inner. PLA is from Colorfabb, if any more information is needed or photos then I’ll happily provide them.

Thanks

Steve

7 hours ago, SteveG said:

Hi,

I’ve converted my UM2+ Extended to the DXU (thanks to everyone who contributed to this and the Mark2). I’ve adapted it to use 2.85mm filament using the information on the blog from @burdickjpand from @Klaasie regarding the heat break and 4mm OD 3mm ID PTFE tube.

I’ve got the following problem with under extrusion and I hope someone can give me a pointer in the right direction. When I try to print something after about 10 layers, no more filament comes through and the printer carries on printing in thin air. I can change the filament no problem because the nozzle is not blocked.

If I try an extrusion calibration of 100mm filament and the bowden tube is not connected to the headset then 100mm comes out of the bowden tube as expected. When I try the same test with the bowden tube connected and measure at the back where the filament enters the feeder (original UM2+) then only about 50mm goes through.

I’ve tried 3 different heat break combinations (original AliExpress, 26mm Stainless Steel heat break, E3D V6 Titanium) with practically the same results every time. The PFTE Tube is 4mm outer and 3mm inner. PLA is from Colorfabb, if any more information is needed or photos then I’ll happily provide them.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

It sounds like your feeder gear is slipping on the filament. Try to increase temp to 240 and reduce speed when running the filament through to see if it brings it back to 100mm, to isolate the problem. If that's the case, it probably means the hotend has too much resistance for the feeder, not melting the filament quick enough. Possible solution is upgrading the heater cartriage to higher power like 40W. What's your feeder for the 2nd nozzle? Does it have the same problem? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The second feeder is also a UM2+ original and it has the same problem.

Looks good, just doesn't print (much)😂.

294705900_UM2.thumb.jpg.5d115afeb9adea23ab1ef52b4b711568.jpg

I finally converted my printer to DXU, but I am not using the original DXU print head, instead, I make use of the original head with modification, so that I can keep using the metal parts.  I found this modification design from Chat room, however, the author only released the STL files and some them seems not work well.  Therefore, I based on the original head dimension and reference to the STL file, I redraw all of them with Solidwork, modified some key area, attached the photos of my build as well as the parts photo exported from Solidwork.  

This head now used for over 100 hours, work quite well, I will keeps monitoring it and see if any other modification required.

IMG_20201110_054508.jpg

IMG_20201110_054518.jpg

IMG_20201110_054545.jpg

Assem1_1.JPG

Assem1_2.JPG

Assem1_3.JPG

Assem1_4.JPG

1320-D_custom1.JPG

1322-B2P-B-custom1.JPG

1322-B2P-B-custom2.JPG

1322-B2P-C-custom.JPG

base1.JPG

DXU-3510+3010_1_1.JPG

DXU-3510+3010_2.JPG

prt0001_redraw1.JPG

prt0001_redraw2.JPG

prt0002_redraw.JPG

Edited by Benleo888
    • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Benleo888 said:

I finally converted my printer to DXU, but I am not using the original DXU print head, instead, I make use of the original head with modification, so that I can keep using the metal parts. 

Cool mod! It's like a project on its own. I never knew there was a chat room. Can I join?

1 hour ago, yyh1002 said:

Cool mod! It's like a project on its own. I never knew there was a chat room. Can I join?

Actually, it is a QQ group which provide 3D printer parts and support information, someone uploaded the DXU related file to group archive, after I download it, this special idea embedded inside.  I tried to print the parts with those STL files, but after the assemble, not working very well, the second head up and down not smooth, also not fit with original plastic parts, the second head will fall down while high speed movement (with vibration).   

But this looks like a very good idea, which can make use of metal parts, so, I decided to redraw all the related parts based on this idea, of course with some modification as well.   The fan shroud is designed by myself according to what cooling fans I have, I also added an additional 3010 - 5V cooling fan in front to lower the heatsink temperature.

Edited by Benleo888

33 minutes ago, Benleo888 said:

Actually, it is a QQ group which provide 3D printer parts and support information, someone uploaded the DXU related file to group archive, after I download it, this special idea embedded inside.  I tried to print the parts with those STL files, but after the assemble, not working very well, the second head up and down not smooth, also not fit with original plastic parts, the second head will fall down while high speed movement (with vibration).   

But this looks like a very good idea, which can make use of metal parts, so, I decided to redraw all the related parts based on this idea, of course with some modification as well.   The fan shroud is designed by myself according to what cooling fans I have, I also added an additional 3010 - 5V cooling fan in front to lower the heatsink temperature.

In this case I'm in that group and I remember the design you are refering to. It was another dual nozzle approach stored in DXU folder. 

On 11/10/2020 at 2:08 AM, Benleo888 said:

I finally converted my printer to DXU, but I am not using the original DXU print head, instead, I make use of the original head with modification, so that I can keep using the metal parts.  I found this modification design from Chat room, however, the author only released the STL files and some them seems not work well.  Therefore, I based on the original head dimension and reference to the STL file, I redraw all of them with Solidwork, modified some key area, attached the photos of my build as well as the parts photo exported from Solidwork. 

Great work!  This is another excellent option!  Where can I find/download your new files/BOM?  Thanks!

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 4:41 AM, rachael7 said:

Great work!  This is another excellent option!  Where can I find/download your new files/BOM?  Thanks!

Let me consolidate all related files and upload to Thingiverse, however, apart from those plastic parts (you can print by yourself with ABS), some metal parts also need to be modified and which may not easy for everyone, you can refer to the photos I attached below, I also upload more photos of my mod for reference.

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_20201113_113248.jpg

IMG_20201113_113413.jpg

IMG_20201113_113333.jpg

IMG_20201113_113352.jpg

Edited by Benleo888
    • Like 1

20 hours ago, Benleo888 said:

Let me consolidate all related files and upload to Thingiverse, however, apart from those plastic parts (you can print by yourself with ABS), some metal parts also need to be modified and which may not easy for everyone, you can refer to the photos I attached below, I also upload more photos of my mod for reference.

Thank you again!  It would be great to be able to get all the files from Thingiverse!  Please post back when you've had the opportunity to do that work. Thanks again for making this available to the community!

• Like 1

Below the sample printing video with PLA+PVA after modification.

• Like 4

All related files can be downloaded from Thingiverse now with following URL.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4655216/files

• Like 3