Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
bman

merging 2 stl files one on top of the other

I am trying to make a 2 color nameplate with the bottom base one color and the test another color.

When I bring the models into Cura they both are placed on the bed.  I need the test to be just slightly inserted into the base. If the base is 2mm thck then I would like to test to be inserted into the base by 0.2mm so that the rest of the test is placed above the base ( approx 1.4 mm). This outside text would be a different color than the base.

I cannot get thsi to work correctly.

I am using Cura 3.41

Thank you

Hi bman,

your modeling software is usually the better tool to define the placement of both parts. Take sure that you export both models with the same origin (if the modeling software has options for that). There's no need to manually move them around in the slicer.

In Cura you simply select all models then and use the "Merge models" function (right mouse click). Basically this function lines up all origins and the parts are placed exactly like they were exported (relatively to each other).

Good luck!

For what you describe, you don't need two nozzles.

Merge the base and text into a single piece, then start printing with the base color, and when the topmost base layer is complete, clip the filament just above the extruder and follow the filament in with the text-color filament so the same extruder begins printing with the second color.

Yes I know I can just change filaments, but since I have two extruders and nozzles it would be better if the printer can do everyhting without me being there.

An even better thought than inserting one stl into the other, since this means both nozzles are printing the interior overlapping layers, is to have a nozzle switch command at a given layer height. I have not found a way to do this in Cura without directly editing the gcode.

Thank you