UM2+ Starts Prints Great - 5 minutes in extreme speed up and hits limits

maxdd

Posted · UM2+ Starts Prints Great - 5 minutes in extreme speed up and hits limits

This is new behavior that started after many years of perfect prints. My Ultimaker 2+ will start off printing great. About 5 to 10 minutes into a print it will drastically speed up and smash into every limit switch... It feels as if every so often a corrupt gCode packet is sent. I've tried factory resets from the printer. I've tried firmware updates. I've tried many different types of models exported from different software and CURA settings both easy-default and custom. This behavior occurs at different intervals but on every print attempt now. I quickly abort once it occurs to avoid self destruction.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Any suggestions on steps to take to try to remedy this issue? Does it feel like a faulty controller board? 

Any help is appreciated.

Posted · UM2+ Starts Prints Great - 5 minutes in extreme speed up and hits limits

Yes.

gcodes have a checksum apparently and if a bad checksum gets to the arduino it requests the same gcode again but the checksum is only 8 bits and once every 256 times the checksum passes even though the gcode has some bad bits.

The problem can be in the SD Card reader (mine had a hair and blowing that out fixed things a lot).  Or it can be the SD Card itself (try a different one) or it can be in the cabling between card reader and main board.

If you haven't moved that cable or taken the covers off around when this started happening I'd concentrate on the SD card reader and the SD Card.

Note that the checksum thing only happens when printing over USB. No checksum is involved in getting gcode data from the sdcard into the printer.

@maxdd, how do you print? From sdcard or over USB? If the former, try a different card. If the latter, try printing from sdcard.

Thanks for your responses.

@ahoeben I print from an SD and have this issue with any SD I use.

I’ll try cleaning out the card slot, checking all the wires and connections from the control board to the mainboard and will check in after. 

If you print the same gcode again, does it fail in the same place? If so, please upload the gcode somewhere so we can have a look. It could be that the gcode gets damaged while writing. Do you neatly "eject" the cards, or just remove them from the reader when writing is done?

@ahoeben I can't tell if it always occurs at the same interval. The cause has not been one particular gcode file. This occurs on any and every gcode file on this machine. Roughly 5 to 10 minutes into any print motors go into maximum overdrive w/ high pitch squealing, smashing into one or more limits for roughly 15 seconds or so, then resumes printing normally but shifted over a bit from its original orientation. 

I'm running the latest stable Ultimaker Cura on macOS (10.13.6) and always properly eject my SD cards.

I checked the connections from front control board to the main board and all are tight. I cleaned out the SD slot w/ compressed air and still have the same issue. 

Anyone have other procedures or suggestions? Is there an official replacement control board and/or mainboard? I've only seen the cheap knock offs and would like to make sure I'm using legit parts if I end up needing to replacing anything. 

I tried printing over USB and the same issue occurs.

I’m thinking of replacing the main board but looks like an expensive fix. Anyone have any last minute suggestions before I purchase the replacement?