Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
maxdd

UM2+ Starts Prints Great - 5 minutes in extreme speed up and hits limits

Recommended Posts

This is new behavior that started after many years of perfect prints. My Ultimaker 2+ will start off printing great. About 5 to 10 minutes into a print it will drastically speed up and smash into every limit switch... It feels as if every so often a corrupt gCode packet is sent. I've tried factory resets from the printer. I've tried firmware updates. I've tried many different types of models exported from different software and CURA settings both easy-default and custom. This behavior occurs at different intervals but on every print attempt now. I quickly abort once it occurs to avoid self destruction.

 

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Any suggestions on steps to take to try to remedy this issue? Does it feel like a faulty controller board? 

 

Any help is appreciated.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

 

gcodes have a checksum apparently and if a bad checksum gets to the arduino it requests the same gcode again but the checksum is only 8 bits and once every 256 times the checksum passes even though the gcode has some bad bits.

 

The problem can be in the SD Card reader (mine had a hair and blowing that out fixed things a lot).  Or it can be the SD Card itself (try a different one) or it can be in the cabling between card reader and main board.

 

If you haven't moved that cable or taken the covers off around when this started happening I'd concentrate on the SD card reader and the SD Card.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ahoeben I can't tell if it always occurs at the same interval. The cause has not been one particular gcode file. This occurs on any and every gcode file on this machine. Roughly 5 to 10 minutes into any print motors go into maximum overdrive w/ high pitch squealing, smashing into one or more limits for roughly 15 seconds or so, then resumes printing normally but shifted over a bit from its original orientation. 

 

I'm running the latest stable Ultimaker Cura on macOS (10.13.6) and always properly eject my SD cards.

 

I checked the connections from front control board to the main board and all are tight. I cleaned out the SD slot w/ compressed air and still have the same issue. 

 

Anyone have other procedures or suggestions? Is there an official replacement control board and/or mainboard? I've only seen the cheap knock offs and would like to make sure I'm using legit parts if I end up needing to replacing anything. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 0 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!