Backlash or not, Hardware problem or not?

Smithy

Posted · Backlash or not, Hardware problem or not?
7 hours ago, Smithy said:

And these disorders are for a few layers and trough the whole object, so you can see it on the back and on the front. The layers are not shifted, so the disordered layers goes in on the front and on the back, so the thickness is when measured in these disordered layers a little bit smaller than then rest.

On your test object it is pretty obvious that the layers look different in those heights, where top (solid) layers are printed. The time per layer is longer in those spots and the deposited material has more time to cool down before the next layer is attached.

I would try to print more than one part at a time to increase the layer time in general and/or increase the minimum layer time in the slicer (e.g. double it to check the difference). The default (5 seconds in Cura) is probably too short for this kind of model and material.

• Thanks 1

Thanks tinkergnome, I think that is or could be really the reason, you are absolutely right and I didn't thought about the layer time. 

I will repeat it with 2 objects and increased layer time, it doesn't matter anymore, I have meanwhile so much printed "lying mans" that I can sell them on the christmas market this year ? 

2 hours ago, P3D said:

I printed your STL with an S5, I get the same results... 

Thanks a lot for your test, but now it is really 100% sure it is not mechanical related.

2 hours ago, Gio26 said:

Are you sure you can print it without support? 

Yes you can do, the printer is capable to print this small overhang without problems.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:35 PM, Smithy said:

Thanks tinkergnome, I think that is or could be really the reason, you are absolutely right and I didn't thought about the layer time. 

And what did your latest test print look like? Was that it? ?

Posted (edited) · Backlash or not, Hardware problem or not?

I had no time yet, because a new family member moved into our home and he needed a lot of attention. But dad was willing to help and showed the junior all the important things he should know ?

IMG_0434.thumb.jpeg.c2d9b29e87a8014de58df27eb016b57e.jpeg

Here dad of the right side with his junior the left ?

Edited by Smithy
    • Like 2

Did some printing last weekend, same settings, different colors, different brands (on an S5) and the green was 'different'...

Turns out the diameter of the green was all over the place resulting in these ugly stripes.

Maybe not exactly your problem, but illustrating that filament size can be of influence as well

2018-10-02 13.17.46.jpg

2018-10-02 13.20.10.jpg

Thats interesting, it looks really ugly. 

I still have to do some more tests, because I don't like such issues without knowing the root cause of it. 

Can you check the back of the object, is it squishing out on both sides (front and back the same) or shifted?

yeah, was surprised too, the other shapes where great, only the green is ugly. The bulges are all around, concluding that this is because the filament size changes, more/less material, not noticeable connected to the shape (or it got hidden under the stripes)

I could eliminate the problem here because all the other colours where good, and all used the same settings, so it had to be the filament...

To me it isn't the layer being cooled too fast, it only happens on singular top and bottom layers. I am very pissed at this point.

mdeTuX4.jpgdU6Je5J.jpg

Edited by redslifer

Yeah, it looks like very similar to my problem. If there is something inside the object, there are problems. But I don't think it is a Cura problem, I sliced my object also with Simplify3D and got the same result.

I haven't tested further, but I think it is more a problem with the filament, feeder or a combination of it. I have to check if there are maybe some retractions which cause the problem. But anyway, I believe it is more less an under/over extrusion which results in this failures. 

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Yeah, it looks like very similar to my problem. If there is something inside the object, there are problems. But I don't think it is a Cura problem, I sliced my object also with Simplify3D and got the same result.

I haven't tested further, but I think it is more a problem with the filament, feeder or a combination of it. I have to check if there are maybe some retractions which cause the problem. But anyway, I believe it is more less an under/over extrusion which results in this failures. 

I think it also is a software problem. Even if other slicers give this problem (to me they do really less), it still may be caused by some common way to handle those layers that are different to the previous one or even next one.  Hardware wise I can't think of anything causing it.

The only other thing could be the firmware...

On 10/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, SandervG said:

And what did your latest test print look like? Was that it? ?

To complete the test series, here is result of another test print with the hints from tinkergnome. Printed two at once and added additional 10 sec minimum layer time (probably not really needed with two objects, but to be sure)

And additionally printed with another filament (UM silver gray) and on the UM 2 Go (all other prints were from the UM3)

Same result:

IMG_0446.thumb.jpeg.3eb90834222bc3d9ba72ca663e0ce313.jpeg

So I give up to solve this issue. Maybe there is something wrong with the model itself. Anyway, I don't need this model, was a print for fun and there I saw this failure by chance.

On 10/6/2018 at 3:32 PM, Smithy said:

To complete the test series, here is result of another test print with the hints from tinkergnome. Printed two at once and added additional 10 sec minimum layer time (probably not really needed with two objects, but to be sure)

And additionally printed with another filament (UM silver gray) and on the UM 2 Go (all other prints were from the UM3)

Same result:

IMG_0446.thumb.jpeg.3eb90834222bc3d9ba72ca663e0ce313.jpeg

So I give up to solve this issue. Maybe there is something wrong with the model itself. Anyway, I don't need this model, was a print for fun and there I saw this failure by chance.

Well it isn't a problem with that model since I never had a model that hasn't had it.

I checked deeper and I noticed the normally extruded layers are only the top and bottom layers, while all the normal layers, which containt the infill (or not if with 0% infill, it is the same), will have this problem, which is an under or overextrusion.

I haven't been able to determine what makes it be an under or overextrusion, but based on my latest print it doesn't affect adjacent surfaces.

In fact you will see the random overextrusion will exactly stop when the Y coordinate changes of just 1 point.

Also, can I ask what firmware do you use?

OgKOlBN.jpgindex.thumb.jpg.7edad41985f0419233fdb2f6b271b8f9.jpg

Edited by redslifer

I am off from my printers at the moment, but UM3 has the latest firmware and the UM2Go the latest Tinkergnome FW.

Fun fact: I encountered a man online that printed 3 parts of the same model at the same time on the plate (well where otherwise?) and he only had the splitting on top internal layer issue only on one of the 3 parts...

Edited by redslifer

So, trying to resume this since it isn't solved yet, but it even is worse and I tried multiple materials.

Take a look here, the layers which define the model ears are completely destroyed just touching them

shape layers.jpg