New: Ultimaker Cura 3.5

SandervG

Posted (edited) · New: Ultimaker Cura 3.5

I installed version 3.5.1 Beta on my Mac today.
Nothing has changed to version 3.5.0 regarding the extremely lame performance.
The software is not usable. Even the rotation of a small object, the Benchy, with the mouse happens time-delayed and jerky.
As long as the software doesn't run clean I can't test anything. This is too annoying.

Mac 3.1, 2x Quadcore 3 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, SSD HD, mac osx 10.11.6

++

ralf

Edited by ralfg
  • Like 1

Posted · New: Ultimaker Cura 3.5
1 hour ago, KiloByte said:

Am I the only one who is still having below problem with Cura 3.5? 

Error_message_1.jpg.8851c4a7fa893788cfe4feffff8847d6.jpg

Error_message_2.jpg.cf0673a72230d4c0d29fc0ba0acc2234.jpg

I have Ultimaker 3 extended, and I am facing this problem since Cura 3.3.1. 

Currently i am using a fix, suggested by @WaldoPepper99 , on this post https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/23272-issue-with-cura-331/?do=findComment&comment=211986 

I thought, it will be solved by now. 

Hi, silly question but did you tried to update your firmware? An older FW version would indeed give this error. If the FW is up to date and the issue still occurs than we can investigate further what the issue could be.

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, ralfg said:

I installed version 3.5.1 Beta on my Mac today.
    Nothing has changed to version 3.5.0 regarding the extremely lame performance.
    The software is not usable. Even the rotation of a small object, the Benchy, with the mouse happens time-delayed and jerky.
    As long as the software doesn't run clean I can't test anything. This is too annoying.

Mac 3.1, 2x Quadcore 3 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, SSD HD, mac osx 10.11.6

++

ralf

Hi @ralfg , weird, that fixed my performance issue. Did you tried removing your old config. folder (simulate a clean install)  and try running the last 3.5.1 beta again? Also, could you disable your network and see if that fixes the problem? Thanks 

JUST TOO SLOW: adding my 2 cents on Cura 3.5 for the Mac.  I'm running  High Sierra on a dual-core iMac late 2009 machine with 12 Gb RAM and solid state drive: not seeing the errors people describe here BUT it is far, far too slow for any practical use.   Rendering, panning, zooming, all take PHENOMENALLY long times to execute.    And this appears to be platform specific.     I have a tiny Lenovo "windows chromebook" - Chromebook-class hardware, Windows 10 - with a 1.6 Celeron, just 4 Gb RAM, so very low powered, bought it for portability in connecting to research gear.   Running Cura 3.4.1 on it, panning/zooming/rendering/slicings is easily twice as fast as my iMac running 3.4.1.      (I've reverted on the Mac to 3.4.1 - it's slow, but still usable.   3.5 crosses the line to where I can't actually get our work done due to the speed issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vandrasc said:

Did you tried removing your old config. folder (simulate a clean install) 

yes, I deleted the configuration folder twice. I make twi clean installs. One without network

2 hours ago, Vandrasc said:

Also, could you disable your network and see if that fixes the problem?

I tried that, too. I made a clean installation without network connection. It doesn't change anything

The stderr.log is attached

++ralf

stderr.log.zip

Edited by ralfg

4 hours ago, ralfg said:

yes, I deleted the configuration folder twice. I make twi clean installs. One without network

I tried that, too. I made a clean installation without network connection. It doesn't change anything

The stderr.log is attached

++ralf

stderr.log.zip

6 hours ago, Stringman said:

JUST TOO SLOW: adding my 2 cents on Cura 3.5 for the Mac.  I'm running  High Sierra on a dual-core iMac late 2009 machine with 12 Gb RAM and solid state drive: not seeing the errors people describe here BUT it is far, far too slow for any practical use.   Rendering, panning, zooming, all take PHENOMENALLY long times to execute.    And this appears to be platform specific.     I have a tiny Lenovo "windows chromebook" - Chromebook-class hardware, Windows 10 - with a 1.6 Celeron, just 4 Gb RAM, so very low powered, bought it for portability in connecting to research gear.   Running Cura 3.4.1 on it, panning/zooming/rendering/slicings is easily twice as fast as my iMac running 3.4.1.      (I've reverted on the Mac to 3.4.1 - it's slow, but still usable.   3.5 crosses the line to where I can't actually get our work done due to the speed issue.

So even with a deletion of /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/cura and a reinstall of Cura 3.5.1-BETA it is still slow?

Cura 3.5 is not working on my Ultimaker 3 Extended. It seems any version over 3.0.4 is not working. I get file not suited for this printer.

Gosh is it only me or is this massively bug riddled. Im having loads of random crashes, its super slow at other times. 

I will go back to 3.0.4. and keep it !

On 10/9/2018 at 11:29 PM, lfei said:

Hi @James777, no sure what happened, but in the 3.5 folder, your custom qualities are indeed missing. I tried removing the 3.5 folder and then start Cura 3.5, which will upgrade using your existing 3.4 folder, and that worked for me. Could you try that, too?

1. Remove the following folders:
      • C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\cura\3.5
      • C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Local\cura\3.5
    2. Start Cura 3.5

I tried this. It did it's setup thing, but still the same as last time. It didn't import anything. It just has the default printer settings, materials and profiles. Not my settings, materials and profiles.

2 hours ago, Msuurmond said:

So even with a deletion of /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/cura and a reinstall of Cura 3.5.1-BETA it is still slow?

Yes, even after a clean install and previous deletion of all associated files in /Application Support/cura/ the folder 3.5. I have zipped the folder 3.4 so it is not an update but a fresh install.
    After starting Cura 3.5.1 everything is immediately slow. Rotating the object in the window is jumping in 10° steps. The construction of the menus takes forever and if I rotate the print area I can prevent the construction of the menus with it.
    I made a screencast that you can see that no working is possible.

Even at the beginning, directly after the installation, it is not possible to enlarge the window. Only after a delay of seconds the window will be enlarged.

++ ralf

Edited by ralfg

The printer referenced below is an S5

Earlier I posted stating that we had successfully installed Cura 3.5 on 3 machines running Windows 10. We had no obvious issues; we could open our projects, manipulate the settings, slice, and save. 

However, when we went to print late yesterday we swapped the PLA color on Print Core 1 and noticed that the PVA on Print Core 2 was not seen even though it had not been touched since a print only hours before using Cura 3.4.1. It showed “no” material so I rebooted the printer and nothing changed so I unloaded the filament and reloaded it and then it was recognized. Figuring that we were ready to print we sliced the project in Cura 3.5 and sent it via network and nothing happened. Upon further investigation even though it gave the print via network option and not to USB Cura could not see the printer. This, even though the printer showed connected to the correct network when viewed on the printer’s touch screen. Ultimately resetting Cura Connect got the communication back online.

These events should have been a grand warning.

Then when the print process began I noticed that both Print Cores began  glowing red and this remained throughout the Active Bed leveling and and maybe even into the actual print process. 

Regardless, when the print head went to the corner to extrude Prime Blob “nothing” extruded so I watched it and no material flowed while printing the perimeter outline; only several seconds into the print material began to flow.

Now I need to make clear that we had only 30 minutes earlier; loaded both the PLA and PVA during which I always run several feet of material through the Print Cores so they were nice, clean, and flowing well.

Since the print was effectively a failure I opted to watch it until it changed to PVA and again the print head went to the corner to extrude Prime Blob and “nothing” extruded so again I watched as it began to print; again many seconds into the print PVA material finally began to flow with the initial material being “brown” PVA as if it was cooked in the Print Core.

I aborted the print, cleaned the build plate, and tried it again because I needed to see if an anomaly and again the Print Cores glowed red during the Active Leveling process however, a this time a very “minut” amount of material flowed during Prime Blob and this was as the build plate was lowering during the final phase; not enough material to create a small blob nor was any drug across the build plate. Then when it was time for PVA the Prime Blob was initiated and again, almost nothing flowed until the very end and again it was “brown”. It took several seconds of printing before it became clear.

I have read within the Cura section of this forum that others are experiencing the same.

Add to this; I went to open Cura 3.5 a few minutes ago and “nothing” happened. I tried several time and finally I rebooted the machine and tried again only to receive this message as shown in the attached picture.

Needless to say; considering the investment in the printer only a few weeks ago and the fact that it is a business tool, this is beyond unacceptable.

Having shared all of this;  I just clicked on Cura 3.4.1 and it loaded with “no” issues, saw the printer, and appears to be ready to work.

In my opinion; the Ultimaker Team “need” to take Cura 3.5 down and remove the pop-up that auto populates when you load an earlier version of Cura until the issues are resolved. 

The issues that I shared and as have been shared by many others are “extreme” and beyond  unacceptable on any level and sadly these are not the only issues being experienced by many with Cura 3.5.

Bugs are one thing and frankly expected. In my opinion; these are not bugs but rather the reflection of a product that was released without proper testing; on an extreme level.

I mean not to be so blunt however, after thinking about this situation and reading all the comments “blunt” is needed.

The shinning light; so to speak is the fact that while using Cura 3.4 and 3.4.1 we experienced some wonderful prints with the S5 however, “if” my out of the box experience had been associated with Cura 3.5 my feelings about the printer would not be good. I have experienced far too many crappy software releases with other 3D printers and this was a significant reason that I purchased into Ultimaker. 

I have “no” desire to be unknowingly a beta tester but rather I need consistency and the ability to “trust” the operation platform presented to me; period.

”Not Happy”

Takes care

BC06C86F-42CE-4C40-9A71-56D9D859481D.jpeg

D4F4651D-AACB-4907-ABF3-AA2DE797A540.jpeg

Edited by Shadowman
    Added info

6 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

Bugs are one thing and frankly expected. In my opinion; these are not bugs but rather the reflection of a product that was released without proper testing; on an extreme level.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a heavy reliance upon 'user testing'. This presents an issue when people are involved in heavy projects that do not allow for testing with new software. Basically, if things are working, I am not going to interrupt a workflow just to test things.

The projects I am working on are taking weeks to accomplish (and not even finished yet) and with what I am reading, happy I have not upgraded.

Cura Devs do need to fully vet the software *and* take into account user tests. But, it would seem too much reliance on users to test for them before deployment is being employed.

Oddly (or maybe not) the stuff that seems to be working, as I have read so far, is the stuff implemented by outside devs... *ahem* @bagel-orb, @smartavionics, @ahoeben (and others). In other words, the in-house stuff seems to be an issue by and large. Silly things like the dark interface not working on day one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Unfortunately, there seems to be a heavy reliance upon 'user testing'. This presents an issue when people are involved in heavy projects that do not allow for testing with new software. Basically, if things are working, I am not going to interrupt a workflow just to test things.

The projects I am working on are taking weeks to accomplish (and not even finished yet) and with what I am reading, happy I have not upgraded.

Cura Devs do need to fully vet the software *and* take into account user tests. But, it would seem too much reliance on users to test for them before deployment is being employed.

Oddly (or maybe not) the stuff that seems to be working, as I have read so far, is the stuff implemented by outside devs... *ahem* @bagel-orb, @smartavionics, @ahoeben (and others). In other words, the in-house stuff seems to be an issue by and large. Silly things like the dark interface not working on day one.

Your summation seems to fit and on many levels I agree.

Use the printer’s FW as an example; when viewed on the printer it will indicate a stable versus being tested version giving you a choice. 

I suppose a similar tactic could be deployed with Cura too and “if” I opt to try the “yet to be confirmed stable” version then I am knowingly assuming the risk. Now going back to my being blunt; it is BS that I open Cura 3.4.1 and and presented a pop-up that says “better, reliable” Cura 3.5 only to find out that I was one of many that (because I trusted Ultimaker) was like flies to the light and clicked ok and installed it only to be greeted with a laundry list of obvious issues that cost me on many levels.

With prints that often take days I can’t afford nor should I have to wonder if it will work.

I for one would rather not be presented with cool widgets but rather a rock solid program that I can trust. Take the trust out of the equation and then everything is suspect.

Will I blindly upgrade again; no chance in heck.

Add to this; the fact that Ultimaker has not stopped the solicitation of Cura 3.5 stating we are sorry but it is not ready for prime time is concerning.

I hope more then mere words can convey that the Ultimaker Team recognize what they did, assume responsibility, and evidence this by “fixing” the code to a level that makes clear that they care.

Yes, Ultimaker is an open source environment with input and assistance from many however, Cura is the foundation as such “needs” to be dependable.The secondary programs i.e. plugins carry different weight; certainly bug free is the goal and yet these are often works in progress. Furthermore, if they fail to perform or at a level less than desirable they can be removed and the core interface; Cura remains.

With Ultimaker defining themselves as the market standard and moving heavily into the business market as a company presenting Cura 3.5 as they did dumbfounds me. I might have expected this years ago when expectations were modest at best, 3D printing required never ending twisting and tweaking, and the products were not being marketed as out of the box ready. Today, this is what Ultimaker solicites; unbox it, plug it in, load filament, import and slice your project, and select start. 

Certainly I know very well that it is not this cut and dry and yet;

When the core interface i.e. Cura is crap then sadly so is the hardware as they live and operate as a team.

Edited by Shadowman
    Words added

No since in showing negative feedback toward developers.  Heck... even Microsoft with all it's deep pockets to hire the cream of the crop gets things wrong.  They had to pull 2 separate patches this month.  One for deleting users files and another because it was making HP desktop PCs either needing a restore or a full reinstall depending on how hard they were hit with the driver bug.  We experienced this where I work and it was not fun.

We need to encourage and not discourage.  The software up to this point has been working really well for me.  I have been experiencing issues but I have been using smartavionic's Gyroid alpha master build so I can't verify that any of my issues are in the 3.5 official build but i have been experiencing memory leaks when viewing the 'Monitor' screen after initiating a print through octoprint.  It is severe when it happens and locks the PC up.  Interestingly, if I catch it before it freezes up the PC, I can click on the Prepare tab and watch the memory go back down.  If I switch back to the 'Prepare' screen before leaving the PC it doesn't seem to leak memory from what I have seen so far.  That again is a non-official build so I can't comment on the 3.5 build even though it was compiled around the same time as the 3.5 release went official.  I probably shouldn't even mention the behavior because of that really.

One thing I hope Cura devs do is start releasing more beta builds for us to test before they release a final.  Maybe that can help catch things like this.  The more eyes the better.  I do understand that it would likely increase the work and time that releases are done though.

Edited by Adam324
    • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Adam324 said:

No since in showing negative feedback toward developers.  Heck... even Microsoft with all it's deep pockets to hire the cream of the crop gets things wrong.  They had to pull 2 separate patches this month.  One for deleting users files and another because it was making HP desktop PCs either needing a restore or a full reinstall depending on how hard they were hit with the driver bug.  We experienced this where I work and it was not fun.

We need to encourage and not discourage.  The software up to this point has been working really well for me.  I have been experiencing issues but I have been using smartavionic's Gyroid alpha master build so I can't verify that any of my issues are in the 3.5 official build but i have been experiencing memory leaks when viewing the 'Monitor' screen after initiating a print through octoprint.  It is severe when it happens and locks the PC up.  Interestingly, if I catch it before it freezes up the PC, I can click on the Prepare tab and watch the memory go back down.  If I switch back to the 'Prepare' screen before leaving the PC it doesn't seem to leak memory from what I have seen so far.  That again is a non-official build so I can't comment on the 3.5 build even though it was compiled around the same time as the 3.5 release went official.  I probably shouldn't even mention the behavior because of that really.

One thing I hope Cura devs do is start releasing more beta builds for us to test before they release a final.  Maybe that can help catch things like this.  The more eyes the better.  I do understand that it would likely increase the work and time that releases are done though.

No arguments from me.

Impliment a ridgid beta program and encourage folks to participate; maybe even getting folks to participate with test prints along side their normal prints.

But, do not release a product only to immediately be made aware of significant issues and not engage with those presenting the issues much less not make clear what is being done.

Yes, all SW has bugs to varing degree and yes Microsoft continues to present them too however, if significant the update is pulled and yet Cura 3.5 is still being solicited as ready for prime time.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spellling

18 hours ago, Vandrasc said:

Hi, silly question but did you tried to update your firmware? An older FW version would indeed give this error. If the FW is up to date and the issue still occurs than we can investigate further what the issue could be.

Thank you!

Ohh! 

I am stupid! I hadn't! I had changed my PC and I haven't connected UM3 with my new PC's Cura via wifi, so i just forgot to update it. 

I updated the firmware after reading your reply.

Now that it has the latest stable firmware , the issue is solved. 

Thank you. 

Though, after updating the firmware, every time i turn on the printer, printer greets with following scary message. 

615567521_Error3.thumb.jpg.2487cd36d197c5521cad35f639484b16.jpg

But besides that it works just fine, and i haven't had any actual print failure on the machine. 

I am hopeful that this message will be gone in new firmware update, which i'll be looking forward to. 

Thanks again, @Vandrasc  

• Like 1

I'm getting consistent issues in my Y axis in the 3.5.  The older works with no issue.  I'm continuing on with my older cura for now.  

Does the 3.5 require a network type of connection to a RepRap style printer, specifically a Tevo Tarantula? As I can not get a direct communication between the two via serial USB - it just says "the printer is not connected"...

On 10/13/2018 at 8:25 AM, KiloByte said:

Ohh! 

I am stupid! I hadn't! I had changed my PC and I haven't connected UM3 with my new PC's Cura via wifi, so i just forgot to update it. 

I updated the firmware after reading your reply.

Now that it has the latest stable firmware , the issue is solved. 

Thank you. 

Though, after updating the firmware, every time i turn on the printer, printer greets with following scary message. 

615567521_Error3.thumb.jpg.2487cd36d197c5521cad35f639484b16.jpg

But besides that it works just fine, and i haven't had any actual print failure on the machine. 

I am hopeful that this message will be gone in new firmware update, which i'll be looking forward to. 

Thanks again, @Vandrasc  

Glad that it solved your issue ?I will inform the FW team about the second issue. Thank you for your feedback!

On 10/10/2018 at 3:38 AM, StefanoCAD said:

I'm having some trouble with Cura 3.5.

Since updating, I have discovered a memory leak that comes up sometimes while printing over the network.

My PC has 32gb of ram and no other programs were open during the spike, but all 32gb of ram were being used until I closed Cura.

Any advice on a fix?

I have the same issue on my mac,   if I leave cura 3.5 open after sending a print to my printer (via octoprint), it will grow to consume extreme amounts of RAM,   the highest I have seen is 96GB (virtual) 

On 10/13/2018 at 3:28 AM, Adam324 said:

I have been experiencing issues but I have been using smartavionic's Gyroid alpha master build so I can't verify that any of my issues are in the 3.5 official build but i have been experiencing memory leaks when viewing the 'Monitor' screen after initiating a print through octoprint.

17 hours ago, nbJosh said:

if I leave cura 3.5 open after sending a print to my printer (via octoprint), it will grow to consume extreme amounts of RAM,   the highest I have seen is 96GB (virtual) 

A memory leak, especially one that reproduces this easily, is a serious issue. Though I appreciate the thought of not being negative to developers, be vocal about issues like that. Don't think that someone else will report it or that it will be fixed in the next stable release; if it does not get reported, it may go unnoticed by the developers. I am the creator of the OctoPrint Connection plugin, and this is the first I read about this.

A message in this thread may easily go unnoticed by developers. If you find something that is clearly broken and that you have not seen reported before, please log an issue on https://github.com/ultimaker/cura/issues. You may want to check there if the issue hasn't already been reported. If going to github is too much for you (I know, you just want to print), feel free to start a new topic about serious issues, instead of your issue being snowed under in a thread like this.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2018 at 2:55 AM, kmanstudios said:

That's because we all have a lot of experience in writing Cura code. I have worked on Cura full time for 3 years, while the Cura team is growing and so it also has some people who are newer to the code base.

Also the Cura team might take on tasks which are more challenging or more bug-prone.

• Like 1