New: Ultimaker Cura 3.5

SandervG

Posted · New: Ultimaker Cura 3.5

No Nvidia video issues seen here; GTX1060 in laptop and a pair of GTX1080TII in desktop.

Both of these machines have the latest Game Day drivers.

I hope you get your issue resolved.

Did you try “resetting” Cura Connect?

19 hours ago, curadura said:

anyone problems with opengl on nvidia cards?

after updating to 3.5.1 it states that opengl 2.0 s missing.

the integrated intel card works.

Are you running Cura inside of a VM?  I got this error when I was running Cura on a Windows guest in VirtualBox.  I found a StackOverflow post that explained how to enable rudimentary OpenGL support, it worked for me, maybe this will help:

StackOverflow OpenGL Fix

SUPPORT ISSUES STILL With 3,5,1

Se file- No support should be present under the slopes up to the holes

1998533764_2018-10-26(6).thumb.png.4767690a7a1750db886cc4d98569e124.png

Posted (edited) · New: Ultimaker Cura 3.5

Cura has decided that it does not like my brand new custom profiles for some reason as of today: it keeps telling me that they are corrupt and ask to reset everything, to which I reply 'no' every time. I created a custom profile for the Reflect-olay from CC products, it saved it well but if I close and reopen Cura, and I get an 'something is wrong with your profile' message, even though then it will print using this profil with no qualms.

Should I worry or not? I've backed up everything just in case.

Corruption.png

Edited by Brulti

The "cura.log" file in your configuration directory should give you some hints about the reason, perhaps only some odds-and-ends?

Log file is attached.

As a side note, the Help -> Show Configuration Folder menu does not work. Clicking on this does nothing, I had to manually go where the log file is located by making visible the hidden files. Not sure if it's new, I need to use this menu, fortunately for me! Except today... ?

cura.log

and just to make sure that the memory leak I am experiencing and 'silent crashes' do not get overlooked in the well deserved foofarah over plugging the Octoprint and monitor leaks, I still get both and I do not use the monitor and have never used Octoprint.

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

and just to make sure that the memory leak I am experiencing and 'silent crashes' do not get overlooked in the well deserved foofarah over plugging the Octoprint and monitor leaks, I still get both and I do not use the monitor and have never used Octoprint.

The memory leak will be fixed in Cura 3.6. Are the 'silent crashes' a result from the memory leak?

10 minutes ago, Msuurmond said:

The memory leak will be fixed in Cura 3.6. Are the 'silent crashes' a result from the memory leak?

You tell me. All I know is it just happens every time I use Cura.

As an addendum of issues I am encountering:

1. Before upgrading to 3.5.1, Cura Connect would be able to read the status of a job even if it was not loaded throuigh Cura Connect. Basically, if a machine started a print with the USB stick, it would read the status and then update that printer.

2. Now, even if the job started with Cura Connect and has to be aborted, it will not register the change and update progress. It just reads job finished clear buildplate. And, this was 3 hours ago.

It can only read the current job started through Cura Connect and if it is current and not restarted or from USB.

And to add the mounting issues to be found:

It seems that 3.5.1 will put brims where they do not go.

Current 3.5.1 with brim on interior letters that are debossed from surface layting on the buildplate. And, it is not even doing it consistently:

ImproperBrimOnInteriorLetters.thumb.jpg.22d22488e34b8c77ef47b0e1a6c7de45.jpg

Older version of exact same model.

ProperBrimOlderVersion.thumb.jpg.d0c924711d6177b6f5d8a004d3073b4e.jpg

Sadly,m at this point, I am removing 3.5.1 from the system. Between sucking up resources and other issues, I now have ruined a 13 hour print because it brimmed over my lettering and I am just tired of guessing where it will go wrong next. Some things, you just do not expect to get broken, but hey!! we got new features, right? ?

25 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Current 3.5.1 with brim on interior letters that are debossed from surface layting on the buildplate. And, it is not even doing it consistently:

Sadly,m at this point, I am removing 3.5.1 from the system. Between sucking up resources and other issues, I now have ruined a 13 hour print because it brimmed over my lettering and I am just tired of guessing where it will go wrong next. Some things, you just do not expect to get broken, but hey!! we got new features, right? ?

You were committed!!

I spent 2 days chasing one issue after another and finally said; we are done.

I too wanted some of the new features such as improved Prime Tower but find myself back using Ultimaker Cura 3.4.1.

The deplyment of Cura 3.5 was anything but a quality advancement for Ultimaker printer users; maybe it was successful with other brands; I have no idea.

Disappointed is an unstatement

9 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

You were committed!!

or should be committed...the jury is still out ?

Edited by kmanstudios

3 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

or should be committed...the jury is still out ?

LOL... if they take you they’ll be grabbing me too.

Like you, I hope they get it figured out soon. 

Just a bum deal for all; the developers as well as the Ultimaker printer owners.

Actually, I find the machines to be very well thought out. And honestly, not really different than most other machines. Too many people forget that other things have been in development for more than30 - 100 years. I am using computers and cars in this case. And, I think people are looking at the price issues a bit askew. One of the things that kept me out of 3D printing for so long was the cost and much more reliability issues that were really lacking as well as quality.

And, I started with the UM3E and saw it improve over the first year. And, I did not have to invest in limonene just to dissolve supports or other really icky chemicals. So, yeah, I am sticking with it. Frustrating as it may be......

But, some of these issues could be avoided, software wise, if there was not such a rush to just get out new features without a cogent set of hands on tests. But, it is also not like I cannot go back a version that is doing the job quite well. And, I have not used a priming tower in well over a year. I just got tired of the waste and added time.

And let us not forget that MSoft, in their rush to meet some arbitrary goal, has had to release new patches to fix bad updates or do a withdraw. That last one made me really bugged out with losing files and such out of the blue. I thought it was other software that was the problem. And they SHOVE the updates down your throat, but wail and cry that some people are not upgrading.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Actually, I find the machines to be very well thought out. And honestly, not really different than most other machines. Too many people forget that other things have been in development for more than30 - 100 years. I am using computers and cars in this case. And, I think people are looking at the price issues a bit askew. One of the things that kept me out of 3D printing for so long was the cost and much more reliability issues that were really lacking as well as quality.

And, I started with the UM3E and saw it improve over the first year. And, I did not have to invest in limonene just to dissolve supports or other really icky chemicals. So, yeah, I am sticking with it. Frustrating as it may be......

But, some of these issues could be avoided, software wise, if there was not such a rush to just get out new features without a cogent set of hands on tests. But, it is also not like I cannot go back a version that is doing the job quite well. And, I have not used a priming tower in well over a year. I just got tired of the waste and added time.

And let us not forget that MSoft, in their rush to meet some arbitrary goal, has had to release new patches to fix bad updates or do a withdraw. That last one made me really bugged out with losing files and such out of the blue. I thought it was other software that was the problem. And they SHOVE the updates down your throat, but wail and cry that some people are not upgrading.

We share many thoughts.

I thought long and hard before commiting to Ultimaker and albeit frustrated and disappointed with some of my out of the box experiences; thus far I have never regretted the decision and don’t expect that day to come.

With regards to Microsoft; I feel bad for folks on Home edition of Windows as the ability to defer updates is difficult unless one indicates their internet as “metered”.

In my opinion Microsoft’s stepped way over the line with their updates that are often buggy to say the least and have remained for the most part; sheltered from the storms.

Now lets not forget Apple......

No matter; comparing to others is of no consulation and yet it makes clear that Ultimaker is not the only team in the proverbial box. 

Unlike Microsoft and Apple I firmly believe that Ultimaker still cares about the end user first with market penetration to follow when compared to Microsoft and Apple that today operate within an inverse marketing model.

21 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

It seems that 3.5.1 will put brims where they do not go

Here is an explanation / discussion:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/4222

3 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

Here is an explanation / discussion:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/4222

OK, so I see the discussion. But, what I do not see is that it is new behaviour and this actually cost me a bit of time and money with this issue.

I know for a fact that this is a change regarding 3.5.1 because I opened a file created and printed from a previous version and this did not happen.

Also, consider the definition of "Only on the outside." I would say that many would read that as Brim only along the outer perimeter and not getting into a step by step from inner to outer boundaries. Though it does make sense from a programming point of view, it does not do so in a printing point of view. I laid my pieces down based on getting the cleanest lettering without trapping the support and requiring getting into tiny lettering with an x-acto knife to clean it out.

Also, the opposite of brim only on the outside is brim everywhere (as implemented). Both of these options negate the ability to create clean (Negative) lettering laid against the plate in its current configuration. This is not good.

But, whether or not it even gets to that, it was a change in behaviour not documented for those of us who used it without issue before. And, if this is the accepted behaviour, then there needs to be a way to keep it from happening at will.

On 10/29/2018 at 12:26 AM, kmanstudios said:

This happened to me even though I had no brim activated, which was very strange. Even stranger was that turning the piece 180° made the problem disappear...

I switched back to 3.4.1 as well. Bit disappointed by 3.5, but I guess one very bad deployment of an update in a year, for me as well; isn't that bad compared to other software, and I trust them to fix it anyway.

I just uploaded the 3.6 beta onto the website! Feel free to try it out, and don't forget to give us your feedback here:

I appreciate the update on Ultimaker Cura 3.6.

• Like 1

I have been using the 3.6 beta and see no memory leak at all now.  I have printed a few things and have left it running for a day now and it is still at 260MB private memory and 387MB Commit size.

I noticed that Octoprint is disabled though.  It shows as unchecked in the Marketplace/plugin but does show installed.  If I check it and reboot it stays unchecked.  I was always printing by sending it to Octoprint from Cura before using 3.6.  It would be great to be able to test it with Octoprint again to see if the memory issue comes back.

Edited by Adam324
    • Like 1