Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
cloakfiend

A Fisherman's Daughter

Hi, While I was ill tried to sculpt this or have a go at it, and this is what I finished with its not perfect but I couldn't wait to try and print it so it'll be an experiment to paint. I ended up resculpting it 3 or four times as I was referencing two separate sculptures of the same thing and they were slightly different so I just took the parts I thought represented what I wanted to see and just fudged the rest using references of cosplay hoods from capes and stuff to do the back, I'll ammend a few things and print it again, like the hair is way too low res and will need to up the poly count on that quite dramatically, as I can see the actual polygons on the print. I usually don't print so large, and that means a step up in model quality! proper edge loops and Retopo basically, or simply post decimation. I also forgot the ear!! btw Its based on a sculpt by Philippe Faraut called 'The Fisherman's Daughter', She looks a bit older in mine. Original at bottom in grey (clay).

Cant wait to see how this turns out!  Should be ready by morning, 24 and a bit hour print. I deliberately sculpted it in a way that it needed minimal support for parts that were simply not necessary. sorry for the dead eyes.

20181005_151123.jpg

20181005_145305.jpg

43120213_10160788475305702_4666588877429932032_n.jpg

43079449_10160788474030702_3382211699636436992_n.jpg

DSC_0008_large_d4198b1b-f50e-42cd-87bf-3e95ec3ed382_large.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend
  • Like 2

I knew I had seen this model before. Somewhere, but where, where,...? Yes, indeed, Philippe Faraut, the absolute master in modeling facial expressions in clay.

Your copy of the hair and face are really great. But I think it is worth trying the eyes too. 🙂

It is going to be a challenge, because for the tiniest mistake, it would look very weird. But if you can get it right, it would really bring more life in the facial expression. If the details survive printing, of course... It might be a good idea to try modeling eyes only, and print them, and see what comes out? If filament would sag, she would get worms in her eyes...  :)

If you would let the model lean back 30 degrees on the glass bed, or even more, you would have less problematic overhangs in the face and frontal hair. It would require less support, I think. In the back fine details are less important, and it is easier to clean up. This might be worth a try too?

Anyway, looking forward to see the printed results.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I thought about leaning it back but a little sand under the chin should be fine and i want it in this position to plate. And the eyes.....ill tried once but its harder than it appears and hard to get right from all angles. Model will be finished by morning! Yay!

20181005_192608.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend

Im not sure yet. I\ve just bought more plating solution because I had a whole lot of problems with the last one being contaminated with bad copper and the wrong kind of water! If I plate this it will be one of the largest thing I've plated volume wise, apart from the gigeresque thing I did a while back.

Gonna acetone it now. It cleaned up real nice with just a scalpel and a touch of 240 sandpaper on a few spots, took about 10mins. I fear the new one with the more detailed hair may actually come out worse, this one is definitely good enough, i was being overly paranoid. 

20181006_143548.jpg

20181006_143604.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend

Ok heres the acetoned version..

Primered version will follow. then plated...and then....who knows. 

Im getting bored of plating now and have fallen into the trap of doing the same thing over and over, I want to try something new, so may very well try the patina paints on this one... perhaps a nickel patina? who knows?

20181006_180110.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend

On 10/5/2018 at 9:48 PM, cloakfiend said:

OK @geert_2 you convinced me, but I'm just gonna do my own eyes, I'm not aiming for an out and out clone, just an emotive feel..... with eyes now.

Screenshot (267).png

Yes, I think it is a good idea to develop your own style.

I like this model more than the blind one: it has way more character. Hopefully it comes out well in the printer too.

• Like 1

Thanks, I think it came out ok, the print stopped at 99% but i think thats a scaling issue on my behalf, and the hair in higher resolution actually looks really good! I had a weird layer shift unfortunately after running out of material early on and 8 hours later the damage was done as the material cooled already, i just replaced it but hopefully ill be able to sand it out. Ill post pics when I get back.

Here is the eyed one. And its dreaded out of filament layer which was just sitting there for about 8 hours before i restarted it. The hair is also more detailed and actually printed better than the low res hair due to the supports latching on the hairs that stuck out as opposed to the entire flat side making it very easy to remove. This layer line should be a breeze to remove as well, even though id prefer it was not there.

20181008_212159.jpg

On 10/5/2018 at 8:07 PM, cloakfiend said:

Thanks, I thought about leaning it back but a little sand under the chin should be fine and i want it in this position to plate. And the eyes.....ill tried once but its harder than it appears and hard to get right from all angles. Model will be finished by morning! Yay!

20181005_192608.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why don't you use PVA?

• Like 1

I don't feel it needs it on this occasion. and also the time thing. I will try it out, but only where its really needed. this model barely needs it and I like a faster turnaround. I'm also afraid a bit. I have a ton of time coming up, so ill make something deliberately intersecting with bottom details. also its pretty humid where I am for some reason. I feel @kmanstudios is gonna be getting millions of questions if I plan to use pva a lot. also ive not seen enough 0.06 pva done prints either to verify surface quality questions. 

Also i can remove the pla support in like 10mins including sanding, so I have my finished model in front of me sooner. 

.....Also I must say, dutch orange pla/pha filament is printing real nice at stock temps and support is coming off super easy just using regular needle plyers, way easier than transparent pla/pha. looks like a cleaner print too.

This print came out really nice by the way, my phone cam doesn't do it justice!!

Edited by cloakfiend