A Fisherman's Daughter

cloakfiend

Posted · A Fisherman's Daughter

I use colorfabb filament. Any pla/pha should be ok currently im using dutch orange but i tend to favour their transparent filament normally. And i tend to simply brush it on generously or dip it. But i havent dipped in a while as im low on acetone! Buying some more now! 

Here are my final bunch of photos, I'm moving on now, hopefully a real nice print coming soon, but I've been fiddling around with the sculpt for days now constantly changing it around, and I'm giving plating a break for a while, maybe, lol. maybe one last plate.

IMG_8040.JPG

IMG_8036.JPG

IMG_8031.JPG

IMG_8026.JPG

IMG_8023.JPG

IMG_8018.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cloakfiend said:

I use colorfabb filament. Any pla/pha should be ok currently im using dutch orange but i tend to favour their transparent filament normally. And i tend to simply brush it on generously or dip it. But i havent dipped in a while as im low on acetone! Buying some more now! 

Sounds good, I have a lot of Colorfabb pla/pha filament here, so I really should give it a try.

Thanks!

On 10/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, cloakfiend said:

Well this one turned out weird shiny!. Was way too big for my largest container and didnt coat properly. Am not going to do it again, might try polishing it a bit but it looks fragile anx might come apart.  I have another one with eyes to do properly! This was a test of a few variables and i learnt a lot so im happy regardless of the result. Black is my usual mecha black primer. Will post some nicer photos tomorrow. Its 4.41am. Why am i still up? damn 3d printing and plating. Im going to try to clear coat this after getting arty with it. That way i dont mind if i ruin, it ill just paint over it after...and seal it, even though that never seems to work.

20181025_033944.jpg

20181025_033927.jpg

20181027_041321.jpg

20181027_041324.jpg

20181027_041237.jpg

I think this one actually looks better in black than in copper plated. The black suits her somewhat somber expression. At least on photo. But when plated, the light around her mouth and around the hair on her cheecks falls in a weird way.

While sculpting, in your CAD program, can you apply different materials to the model to preview the final effect? Well, sort of preview, because it won't be identical of course.

yes i know what you mean! but i quite like the confusion around the highly reflective areas its quite hard to photograph highly reflective stuff, i'm always seeing my camera in the centre. im happy with it anyways. eitherway it was a test. I'm trying two color stuff soon and gloss coats, i always wanted to do high gloss coats! black is the primer, but i also agree that it looks quite cool. i can render it with different textures in 3d but it will never look the same in real life....

Posted (edited) · A Fisherman's Daughter

@geert_2 here is a render, I almost forgot how to render its been so long since i did it! geez i feel i need to learn all this again!?

i think id have a hard time getting it looking like this in real life. i dont have a studio at my disposal!

Face.jpg

another thing ive noticed is that cgi lens distortion/perspective is different than real life and takes some getting used to to getting things looking correct when you are trying to reproduce something, it can be a pain as subtle changes in perspective dramatically change the way a face looks, so when you print something, it may not look exactly as you would expect!

Edited by cloakfiend
    • Like 1

I don't know which perspectives or camera-lenses you could choose in CAD, or if you can enter numerical lense values at all?

But in real life, long ago when I still did photography, I found that 150mm to 200mm lenses (with standard color slide film of 24mm x 36mm frames) gave the most beautiful perspective for photos of people. On the opposite side, shorter lenses like 35mm or 50mm gave a lot of distortion: people get thick potato-noses, dumb cow-eyes, etc..., which I didn't like at all. With a 200mm lens they look way smarter.

With a 200mm lens you have some distance from the object or person, in real life. So when printing rather small models like you do, maybe setting the lens to 200mm might be a good starting point?

Most smartphones today have short, wide-angle lenses, so they may give ugly distortion too for faces.

Smart phones are awful when it comes to close up distortion!!! Oh how I loved color slide film!! It was the best!!!!