Metal Insertion

fergazz

Posted · Metal Insertion

I would like to share this cool stuff that I was thinking to do for a long time, insert those metal brass into the 3d printed parts. This is my first attemp, I put it in Meduza's feeder upgrade since it's a bit difficult (for me) to attach the screw to the bolt inside the body. Since I don't have a soldering iron, the ideal tool to insert it, I use my heat gun and insert on it with the screw... i leaved a small gap to ajust later if needed but it was straight and fits perfectly ?

Take a look @meduza , @gr5 and anyone interested.

Cheers!

__GAZ9935_red.jpg

Posted · Metal Insertion

Great idea, I also want to try this out sometime and for the soldering iron there should be a "tool" available to melt it into the object.

In my opinion, this is nicer than using nuts and also easier to design because you just need a hole.

Posted (edited) · Metal Insertion
    On 10/6/2018 at 7:06 PM, Smithy said:

Great idea, I also want to try this out sometime and for the soldering iron there should be a "tool" available to melt it into the object.

Sure, I don't know yet what kind of tool but I will keep posting here, need to be really thin to attach the internal diamenter and transfer heat. Those soldering iron are really cheap (5-10 bucks) and usefull for some applications in 3d printing area. 

These brass inserts are much easier to find in Bangood and Aliexpress, in the begging of the year I found just one or two reseller, nowadays there are much more. They are avaiable for M3, M4 and M5 screws. 

M3: https://www.banggood.com/pt/100Pcs-M3-x-6mm-Brass-Knurled-Nuts-Insert-Female-Thread-Round-Insert-Embedded-Nuts-p-1184384.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__6&ID=41528

In USA there is a brand that produce these brass inserts, named Yardley Products: https://www.yardleyproducts.com/

I hope it helps someone ?

Edited by fergazz
    correção ortográfica