Layer View Stoping

RocketNut

Posted (edited) · Layer View Stoping

Hello

I just updated to Cura 3.5. When I try to preview the print using the layer view function, it does 2 to 4 layers then stops. I have to click on the run arrow to resume the preview. 

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Richard

Edited by RocketNut

Posted · Layer View Stoping

No.... there has to be something odd happening when loading that variable.

I am far from the “go to person” however, I would;

1. Reset Cura connect

try ... no change....

2. Reinstall Cura 3.5

It not only should; but will work.

I already tried that without success. I am going to uninstall 3.5 and reinstall 3.4.

Thank you for the help.?

Bummer.

You have already uninstalled and reinstalled Cura 3.5?

If yes; please update this thread once you install 3.4.1 with your results.

Thank you 

uninstalled 3.5 and reinstalled 3.4, now everything is working perfectly.

26 minutes ago, RocketNut said:

uninstalled 3.5 and reinstalled 3.4, now everything is working perfectly.

Sadly; when I loaded Cura 3.5 all appeared to be fine however, when I went to print it was one issue after another never completing a successful print.

I too went back to 3.4.1 late yesterday and “immediately” everything was fine.

A total waste of time along with the associated frustration.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Edited by Shadowman
    Grammar

I wonder if anyone else is having issues with 3.5

2 minutes ago, RocketNut said:

Based on all that I have read within this forum and others, I can comfortably say; yes.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RocketNut said:

To me with 3.5 the heated bed doesn't work properly (it should switch off after the first layer but it doesn't), so.. ?

46 minutes ago, redslifer said:

To me with 3.5 the heated bed doesn't work properly (it should switch off after the first layer but it doesn't), so.. ?

I am glad that that you took the time to share your experience. I dare say that many will not nonetheless, the issues as associated with Cura 3.5 as shared by many including myself are in my opinion, extreme and inexcusable.

I just reinstalled Cura 3.4.1 on the 3rd machine and when opened the first thing you are greeted with is Cura 3.5 is available.

I have said before that it remains my opinion that the encouragement to update to Cura 3.5 needs to be removed and Cura 3.5 taken down entirely until fixed and then redeployed.

3 hours ago, redslifer said:

My heated bed remains on during a print, it has been like from the beginning. So are you saying the bed heater should turn off when the first layer is done printing?

21 minutes ago, RocketNut said:

My heated bed remains on during a print, it has been like from the beginning. So are you saying the bed heater should turn off when the first layer is done printing?

Not knowing what he is setting it to do I can only speculate. Apparently he is experiencing differing characteristics between Cura 3.5 and 3.4.1.

For myself when printing as an example; the bed warms and stays warm throughout the print I “think” to so as to maintain a stable thermal environment throughout the layers as the item is being printed while also promoting adhesion.

Once the print is completed I remove the glass build plate and let it cool after which the printed piece is easily removed.

21 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

Not knowing what he is setting it to do I can only speculate. Apparently he is experiencing differing characteristics between Cura 3.5 and 3.4.1.

For myself when printing as an example; the bed warms and stays warm throughout the print I “think” to so as to maintain a stable thermal environment throughout the layers as the item is being printed while also promoting adhesion.

Once the print is completed I remove the glass build plate and let it cool after which the printed piece is easily removed.

I agree fully with the constant bed temp during the entire print job. I use a 3D printer adhesive for glass plates on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/240ml-8oz-3D-Printer-Adhesives-for-Glass-Plates-3D-Printer-Glue/273478850435?hash=item3fac9c1783:g:QgUAAOSwCJxaMfeQ:rk:1:pf:0  which has worked extremely well for me It requires a const bed temp.. Once the bed cools down the print simple lifts off extremely easy.

38 minutes ago, RocketNut said:

I agree fully with the constant bed temp during the entire print job. I use a 3D printer adhesive for glass plates on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/240ml-8oz-3D-Printer-Adhesives-for-Glass-Plates-3D-Printer-Glue/273478850435?hash=item3fac9c1783:g:QgUAAOSwCJxaMfeQ:rk:1:pf:0  which has worked extremely well for me It requires a const bed temp.. Once the bed cools down the print simple lifts off extremely easy.

Never used this product but the information on it sounds great; generally we don't need anything and when needed a little glue stick has typically worked. If real concerned we will print a raft to give a large based to build upon. 

Thank you for the suggestion.

I want to only heat the bed for the first layer and then cool down since PLA doesn't need an heated bed. On 3.5.0 even setting this it won't cool down after the first layer.

32 minutes ago, redslifer said:

I want to only heat the bed for the first layer and then cool down since PLA doesn't need an heated bed. On 3.5.0 even setting this it won't cool down after the first layer.

But it makes no sense to do that. If you don't want a heated bed with PLA, then you also don't want it for the first layer. I don't think the first layer will stick better to the glass if heated and then cooled down again. So in my opinion there is no difference between no heating at all or heating only for the first layer.

But anyway, if it was working with 3.4.1. then there is another bug in 3.5.

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

But it makes no sense to do that. If you don't want a heated bed with PLA, then you also don't want it for the first layer. I don't think the first layer will stick better to the glass if heated and then cooled down again. So in my opinion there is no difference between no heating at all or heating only for the first layer.

But anyway, if it was working with 3.4.1. then there is another bug in 3.5.

It makes a difference for the first layer, it will melt and adhere more smoothly, this fixing it more to the bed.

OK, that's new to me, I thought it only sticks better as long as the bed is heated, to keep the plastic near its glass temperature.

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

OK, that's new to me, I thought it only sticks better as long as the bed is heated, to keep the plastic near its glass temperature.

My experience has been the same because once the build plate cools the PLA comes off easy which is why I let the build plate cool before removing the print; particularly if a delicate print.

Regardless, people find all sorts of personal tweaks that work for them and in this situation Redslifer was presented with a change with Cura 3.5 that he was not anticipated.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling
    • Like 1

I did not know about turning off the bed heater after the first layer. For me, that seems to an unwise option because the print head could knock the print off the print table.  So for me, I will always keep the bed heater on.