Print Failed - Error

Jakeddesign

Posted · Print Failed - Error

I started a 36 hour print on Friday, and came back this morning to find the printer stopped, maybe 25% through the print, with the nozzle still touching the last layer that it was printing.  There was an error on the screen that said something along the lines of "Print Failed, please carefully remove parts from the build plate."  I should have snapped pictures, but forgot.

So I was wondering, has anyone else seen this error?  What are the typical reasons for the UM to throw this fault?

Ultimaker 3, 2300 hours or so.

(Note: I realize without pictures and a log file, I wont find out exactly what caused the error, so I am more curious then, what are some possible explanations so I can keep an eye out for them in the future)

I also got this same error today using a UM3. Pictures attached for reference. It appears the print head just stopped in place with the core touching down to the print still. Any suggestions on how to address this, or what happened in the first place?

IMG_20181009_113940.jpg

IMG_20181009_113931.jpg

1 hour ago, lschachtner said:

I was also using Cura 3.5.0. Perhaps this is the issue? @Jakeddesign what version were you using?

same, 3.5.0

I sent it over WiFi, it looks like you used USB?

My initial thought was a power outage, but I dont think so.  Maybe a power surge?  We have had minor surges in the past that have knocked out our CNC mills for a second.

@SandervG do you have a list of possible failures that could cause this message to appear?  

1 hour ago, Jakeddesign said:

same, 3.5.0

I sent it over WiFi, it looks like you used USB?

My initial thought was a power outage, but I dont think so.  Maybe a power surge?  We have had minor surges in the past that have knocked out our CNC mills for a second.

@SandervG do you have a list of possible failures that could cause this message to appear?  

I also sent over WiFi. I don't believe we had any power outages/surges either, so we can rule that out on my end. I have a feeling that it is something to do with the updated software considering we both encountered the same problem using 3.5.0, and I'm unable to locate any other instances of this error suggesting it is a new occurrence. I am currently repeating the same print from a different computer using older Cura around 3.2. I will update tomorrow if the print is successful.

I was talking to the shop guys, apparently, we did have a power outage for an hour or so.  My guess is that the power came back on, and the UM knew it failed a print.  Strange you also had the same issue....maybe you had a power flicker?

I had the same issue yesterday when I upgraded to 3.5.

I upgraded the firmware too and still issues.

It won't work on 3.41 now either.

The issue is when it starts heading the bed, it restarts the printer.

Turning off the heated bed fixes it but not good for the print.

Hi @Jakeddesign, here is a list with possible errors: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/40002-error-messages

It's likely that this is the result of a short power drop, given how the printhead just froze mid-layer. I suppose it is an isolated error message?

@rodparsons , this sounds like an issue with your power supply. Which firmware did you use before? This new Cura release (3.5) did not contain a firmware update for the Ultimaker 3. 

What temperature are you heating your bed up to, and can you heat up your bed to 60ºC and 100ºC without starting a print (so leave print cores cold)? What happens then?

@SandervG Thank you for the link.  I am almost positive that in my case, it was a power failure.  I talked with someone who was in the shop over the weekend and it sounds like we lost power for a short period of time.