Cura software and Raise 3D Pro Plus

Shelton

Posted · Cura software and Raise 3D Pro Plus

Hello everybody. I'm using Idea Maker with my Raise Pro Plus 2 but Cura software is more professional and full of new features. So I need help from you. Do you have some settings to use Cura with Raise Pro Plus 2? I tried with G-code input lines but still didn't work. Anybody can help me with that issue? thank you

Hello everybody too!

I'm in the same position of Shelton. I'm falling in love whit CURA slicer (it's particolarly usefull) but unfortunately the generated g-code don't match with Raise Pro 2 (and Pro Plus).

Any support will be well accepted!!

• 6 months later...

Please can someone help get Cura working on the raise 3D pro2?! We need a single slicer that works across all our printers. Ideamaker is not that. If Cura cant we will have to abandon it also.

For the same settings ideamaker takes roughly double the print time than cura (bad travel move choices), creates supports that fall down, and has far fewer advanced options.

I used Google Translator to read the above-linked thread. It appears you can use the start/end gcode provided in the initial reply by @Guillaume777

The G-code start / end print of S3D works in Cura.

Starting :

M221 T0 S100

G28 X0 Y0

G28 Z0

T0

G1 X5 Y5 Z0.2 F2000

G92 E0

G1 X100 E30 F600

G1 X120 F5000

M117 Printing ...

M1001

End :

M107

M1002

M104 S0 T1

M104 S0 T0

M140 S0

M117 Print Complete.

G28 X0 Y0

G91

G1 Z10

G90

M84

To make g-code in Cura for the Raise3D Pro2 Dual I created a new printer type by copying the Raise3D N2 Dual and updating the print dimensions X/Y/Z = 280/305/300mm. I also had to make a small change to the "Start G-code" in the printer machine settings. The default g-code makes two calls of "M92 E140", which sets the number of steps per unit. I think there might be some unit confusion happening here because it effectively stops the printer from extruding anything.

After rebooting the printer to reload the original M92 value and commenting out those two commands in the Start G-code section it prints just fine.

Posted (edited) · Cura software and Raise 3D Pro Plus

@Mblaughton , Bonjour, et merci pour ton retour.

Comment faire pour changer le gcode dans l'imprimante ?

Les fonctions "détection de filament" et "coupure de courant " marche correctement .

merci

-------

Mblaughton, Hello, and thank you for your feedback.

How to change the gcode in the printer?

The "filament detection" and "power failure" functions work correctly.

thank you

Edited by Smithy
    Translated to English

@Guillaume777 Could you please post your message in English in this thread - thanks!

@ Mblaughton, Hello, and thank you for your return.

How to change the code in the state?

The functions "filament detection" and "power failure" work correctly.

thank you

Posted (edited) · Cura software and Raise 3D Pro Plus

To make our Raise3D Pro2 Dual printers work with Cura I ended up copying and modifying the Raise3D N2 definitions to create a custom printer type (files attached). To use them, unzip the attached zip file into your "C:\Program Files\Ultimake Cura 4.3\resources\definitions" directory (assuming Windows) and hopefully Cura will offer it as a printer option after you restart.

I updated the build plate dimensions in the new definition, but the main fix involved updating the extruders' "steps per unit" setting in the "machine start g-code" section, which went from E140 to E6640. The new value is based on the number I found in the printer's menus.

Please note:

• This definition is for the regular Pro2 Dual, not the "Plus" model. I suspect it would work on both though.
    • I have used this definition to make several prints, but your mileage may vary. (i.e., it's not an official solution)
    • If you want to be extra cautious, you can confirm that your printer uses the same "steps per unit=6640" before attempting a print. It's located under "Home > Settings (gear icon) > Machine > More Settings > Hardware > Steps Per Unit > E Steps Per Unit".

If you end up trying it can you reply back and let us know if it works for you?

raise3D_Pro2_dual.custom.def.zip

Edited by mblaughton
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 2

I used @mblaughton's profile for the Raise3D Pro 2+. Modified for the larger volume.

Changed 

"machine_height": {
                "default_value": 300
            },

to

"default_value": 605
            },

and I changed the title of the files to reflect the machine name and gcode text from/to "name": "Raise3D Pro2+ Dual".

Making no other changes to the Pro2 Dual printer profile provided, I edited the slicing parameters to be nearly identical to the IdeaMaker slicing parameters that I used. I used an identical number of shells (walls and top/bottom layers), print and travel speed appropriate for my machine (identical in both slicers), the same layer heights, and the same infill type and infill percentage.

My Cura simulated result was 2 hours 40 minutes. The same part simulated in IdeaMaker was 4 hours 7 minutes.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2019 at 12:26 PM, mblaughton said:

To make our Raise3D Pro2 Dual printers work with Cura I ended up copying and modifying the Raise3D N2 definitions to create a custom printer type (files attached). To use them, unzip the attached zip file into your "C:\Program Files\Ultimake Cura 4.3\resources\definitions" directory (assuming Windows) and hopefully Cura will offer it as a printer option after you restart.

I updated the build plate dimensions in the new definition, but the main fix involved updating the extruders' "steps per unit" setting in the "machine start g-code" section, which went from E140 to E6640. The new value is based on the number I found in the printer's menus.

Please note:

• This definition is for the regular Pro2 Dual, not the "Plus" model. I suspect it would work on both though.
    • I have used this definition to make several prints, but your mileage may vary. (i.e., it's not an official solution)
    • If you want to be extra cautious, you can confirm that your printer uses the same "steps per unit=6640" before attempting a print. It's located under "Home > Settings (gear icon) > Machine > More Settings > Hardware > Steps Per Unit > E Steps Per Unit".

raise3D_Pro2_dual.custom.def.zip 1.95 kB · 45 downloads

On 1/2/2020 at 2:20 PM, ZZ_WORD said:

I used @mblaughton's profile for the Raise3D Pro 2+. Modified for the larger volume.

Changed 

"default_value": 300
            },

to

"default_value": 605
            },

and I changed the title of the files to reflect the machine name and gcode text from/to "name": "Raise3D Pro2+ Dual".

Making no other changes to the Pro2 Dual printer profile provided, I edited the slicing parameters to be nearly identical to the IdeaMaker slicing parameters that I used. I used an identical number of shells (walls and top/bottom layers), print and travel speed appropriate for my machine (identical in both slicers), the same layer heights, and the same infill type and infill percentage.

My Cura simulated result was 2 hours 40 minutes. The same part simulated in IdeaMaker was 4 hours 7 minutes.

Ok I got my Pro2 working but both extruders seem to be heating up when I'm doing single color prints. Any suggestions to stop the second extruder from heating?

@gregrichard13, the start gcode provided by @mblaughton heats both nozzles because it purges both nozzles whether or not you use them.

If you want to heat them up only if they are in use, some trial and error might be required. I think the easiest thing to do would be to duplicate the profile for each nozzle and modify the start gcode to implement the portion pertaining to your desired nozzle.  I have done this with one of my other dual nozzle printers that isn't as smart.

IMHO, hot nozzles are okay; I would love to hear a gcode/printer expert weigh-in on how to do what you ask more efficiently.

Big ups to @mblaughton for putting together the .json files for the Raise 3D Pro2. 

Like @ZZ_WORD, I modified those files slightly for the Pro2+ I’m working with.  I added the files to the “definitions” folder as mblaughton described and successfully added my Raise 3D Pro2+ to Cura 4.4.1.

My files are attached – they’re basically just copies of mblaughton’s files with minor changes, including:

• setting machine width to 305mm
    • setting machine height to 605mm
    • Changing the file names to reflect the Pro2+, and editing the “machine_extruder_trains” values in the main .json file to match the new file names

I was having a lot of trouble with adhesion to the print bed until I changed the adhesion type to “Raft” in Cura.  ideaMaker seems to use a raft as the standard base for all prints.  I guess something about the Pro2+ just works better with the raft.

Most prints I’m doing with just 1 extruder, so I’m using the start code provided by Guillame777.  (Start/End g-codes can be modified for each printer under “Machine Settings” in Cura.)

Like other posters, I’m finding that the print times when slicing with Cura are significantly less compared with ideaMaker. Don’t have any specific numbers (and I didn’t make sure that I was using the exact same settings for both prints), but it seems like Cura takes around half the time that ideaMaker does, which is a big win.  Very grateful to everyone who contributed to finding this solution.

Add_Pro2plus_to_Cura.zip

• Like 2

This is fantastic but I have to comment on the whole "raft" thing.  Raft is an old technology that you should avoid.  Getting parts to stick is a complicated subject but one which you should be able to overcome without raft unless you have a 1st generation reprap.

I explain how to get your part to stick well to the print bed here.  It's a long video (20 minutes) but that is because it's packed with information:

One problem I haven’t figured out yet – I tried to set Cura to use the right Extruder on the Pro2+, rather than the left extruder which is standard.  When looking at Cura, it seemed like I had succeeded.  But the printer still used the left extruder, the print was just offset from the sliced file by the distance between the two nozzles.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to get the printer to switch which extruder it uses?  Even though I only use 1 extruder most of the time, it would be pretty convenient to switch to, say, a different color on the secondary extruder and not have to swap the material on the primary extruder.

While in PREVIEW mode (near the top of the screen), just below that it should show the 2 nozzles/cores.  click on that bar and a 2 tab small window should pop up.  select the second tab and make sure it is enabled.  Select the first tab and make sure enabled is *not* checked.  I think that will help.

That was the method I tried before, but the print still runs with the left extruder -- see attached screenshots to illustrate.  Note that with Cura the print is centered on the bed, but when the Cura-generated g-code is opened in ideaMaker, the print is offset noticably to the left.

When talking about enabling the nozzles, were you referring to the side-by-side tabs in "PREPARE" mode, or the over-under checkboxes in "PREVIEW" mode?

Screenshot_Cura_Rnozzle_enabled.png

Screenshot_Cura_Rnozzle_enabled2.png

Screenshot_Cura_vs_ideaMaker.png

On 2/5/2020 at 2:41 PM, Wafflehuntr said:

That was the method I tried before, but the print still runs with the left extruder -- see attached screenshots to illustrate.  Note that with Cura the print is centered on the bed, but when the Cura-generated g-code is opened in ideaMaker, the print is offset noticably to the left.

When talking about enabling the nozzles, were you referring to the side-by-side tabs in "PREPARE" mode, or the over-under checkboxes in "PREVIEW" mode?

Screenshot_Cura_Rnozzle_enabled.png

Screenshot_Cura_Rnozzle_enabled2.png

Screenshot_Cura_vs_ideaMaker.png

I am not sure if you figured this out yet but in the start of the G code under machine settings, there is a hard coded T0 right before "M117 Printing..." that needs to be removed. After removing this, it seems to be choosing the correct nozzle.

Hi Edickman,

Could you send us a scream shoot about how eliminate "T0" in machine settings?

I would like to use Cura for everything. 

Thaks you!

Go to left side of screen in PREPARE mode.  Click on your printer, then do "manage printers" then "machine settings"

At that point there should be start and end gcodes visible in the bottom of that popup window.

THanks to all who have made this possible. Has anyone been able to create a Cura file for the Raise 2N+ ? I've been trying a variety of files found on this page, but they don't quite work with the 2N. Anyone know how to implement Cura with the Raise 2N? So far its pretty tricky. Any help would be appreciated.

Cura has definition files for the Raise 3D N2 single and dual extruder printers.  What is wrong or what isn't working?

On 12/2/2019 at 8:26 AM, mblaughton said:

Please note:

raise3D_Pro2_dual.custom.def.zip 1.95 kB · 585 downloads ?

Does anyone know how to upload this to work with the new 5.1 Cura? The directories seem entirely different.