edregis

Network security

Posted · Network security

Hello,

Using my new UM 3 on an enterprise network, printing by LAN is very useful, but is there anyway to secure the printer acces as everybody can install cura on is computer and acces to the job list of the printer and interact with it ?

Regards,

Ed

Nope, not yet. We originally designed the UM3 with the notion that everyone that has access to the wifi network is to be trusted.

Providing more control is something we're looking into. 

All that being said; Could you say a bit more how you think this should work? What features would be a must for you?

Hello, it's the same with the wired network (had to impose IP adress by the router as UM3 permit noit static IP assignement).

I think passwords with two level of user will be enough : level1 can just consult job list and show camera. Level 2 can have acces to parameters, send a new job or remove one in the list.

Without the pasword : no acces to the printer

Regards,

Ed

On 10/10/2018 at 3:13 AM, edregis said:

Hello, it's the same with the wired network (had to impose IP adress by the router as UM3 permit noit static IP assignement).

I think passwords with two level of user will be enough : level1 can just consult job list and show camera. Level 2 can have acces to parameters, send a new job or remove one in the list.

Without the pasword : no acces to the printer

Regards,

Ed

Agreed 

Chiming in here because I'm hoping to find a solution as well. I am setting up a university library makerspace so we will have thousands of people with physical access to our UM3 printers. Since anyone that can press the wheel button can look up the IP and gain access via Cura Connect, we can't really enable network access. I was hoping only admin users would be able to control printing (send, abort, etc), not anyone with a computer/mobile device. Is the UM5 more secure?

1 hour ago, Bennett_D said:

Chiming in here because I'm hoping to find a solution as well. I am setting up a university library makerspace so we will have thousands of people with physical access to our UM3 printers. Since anyone that can press the wheel button can look up the IP and gain access via Cura Connect, we can't really enable network access. I was hoping only admin users would be able to control printing (send, abort, etc), not anyone with a computer/mobile device. Is the UM5 more secure?

S5 = the same

On 4/1/2019 at 12:43 PM, Shadowman said:

S5 = the same

Oh that's unfortunate. This might actually stop us from going with Ultimaker. What do people with UMs in public spaces normally do to secure the printers? just leave them offline and disconnect WIFI?

13 hours ago, Bennett_D said:

just leave them offline and disconnect WIFI?

Or use a separate Wifi network, dedicated to your space.

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Certainly this would create a controlled zone however, it’s far from practical much less realistic for many businesses.

Takes care 

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

3 hours ago, Shadowman said:

Certainly this would create a controlled zone however, it’s far from practical much less realistic for many businesses.

Takes care 

Yeah my IT department is definitely not going to be OK with me setting up rouge routers. UM definitely needs some sort of permissions management.

I can't say more about it than "We're aware of it and looking for a solution", sorry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nallath said:

I can't say more about it than "We're aware of it and looking for a solution", sorry.

Thanks nallath, good to hear you're on it!