Aluminum build plate delivery

Posted · Aluminum build plate delivery

Hello!

Couple of weeks ago I ordered the aluminum build plate (From the link that was given with the purchase of the Ultimaker 5S).

I did not get a email with conformation of the order, so I am a bit worried if the order got true yes or no.

Is there any information about the estimated delivery time of these build plates?

Any information/conformation is welcome!

Iwan

Hi!

Let me see what the latest update is on the delivery date for the Aluminum plates and if you should have received any further updates on this. I do know that we won't be releasing any aluminum buildplates for other printers besides the Ultimaker S5 for now, because our research shows that the materials available for our smaller 3D printers don't require different types of buildplates for improved adhesion. 

Let me get back with you about the estimated delivery time frame! 

Hi Sander,

Great to hear! Thank you

Indeed; thank you.

Hi SandervG

Update on the aluminum build plate delivery?

Thank you 

?????

?‍♂️

Hello, yes sorry to keep you all waiting. 

The update I can give is that we'll most likely not make the fall 2018 deadline. While the initial tests and results have been very promising with the aluminum build plate, later results were less consistent and it has been a continuous road of improvements and iterations with only one goal in mind; quality results and a reliable experience for our users. 

Although we're making progress, it's been decided to postpone stating a new delivery date until it is more certain. Our apologies for the inconvenience. You will be the first to know when more details become available. 

In the meantime, using the adhesion sheets are a good alternative if you are looking for better adhesion. If you have any questions about better adhesion with a certain material you are working with, please let me know and we'll see how we can help. 

A blog will be published shortly with similar information.  

Thank you Sander for the clarification!

Good luck with further testing of the build plate!

21 minutes ago, SandervG said:

it's been decided to postpone stating a new delivery date until it is more certain

Sounds not so good that it will be in the near future.....

22 minutes ago, SandervG said:

In the meantime, using the adhesion sheets are a good alternative if you are looking for better adhesion.

Sounds good, due the fact we already paid for the aluminum build plate, it is a great step forward that Ultimaker provides us with adhesions sheets for free in the meantime until the build plate is ready to ship. ? 

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Aluminum build plate delivery
    1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Sounds not so good that it will be in the near future.....

Sounds good, due the fact we already paid for the aluminum build plate, it is a great step forward that Ultimaker provides us with adhesions sheets for free in the meantime until the build plate is ready to ship. ? 

Huum... Interesting.

In my opinion this is another example of being sold that which was truly not able to be sold.

The words “the test results are promising” pretty much says it all.

This was a significant part of the S5 story as presented by Ultimaker as such a significant part of what we all paid for.

I did not purchase into a development project.

Now...... 

Considering that all of us that are awaiting the aluminum plates are already registered with Ultimaker can I assume that Ultimaker will be preemptively shipping us build plate adhesion sheets immediately? I would add to this that a glass build plate should be included too; very simply because materials/prints requiring build plate adhesion sheets could make those that don’t a pain in the arse to remove as such a stop gap means to swap between two build platforms needs to be shipped.

In my opinion, and as much as I appreciate the Ultimaker team throughly testing and making design changes prior to shipping, I purchased Ultimaker’s most advanced thoroughly tested printer (as they marketed it) showing me and speaking of features such as the advanced aluminum build plate as such; this delay makes clear that in part; I/we prepaid for a vision and a hope rather than a relality.

Not good; even if only speaking for myself, I purchased the S5 (and I suspect is the case with the others that purchased the S5) did so in a large part, based on the new thoroughly tested features and associated technology. 

To be very frank; I am troubled by the information as shared as there is an unquestionable and very clear difference between “developed” technology versus “to be developed”. I was told thet the delayed shipment of the aluminum build plate was as the direct result of Ultimaker m’s need to ramp up the production of the aluminum build plates whereas I now clearly understand that there is not a viable “developed” aluminum build plate ready for production and furthermore; no assurances of when or even if it will become a reality.

This is the Ultimaker S5 that I purchased;

https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/52571-the-ultimaker-s5-is-here

8BB991CA-C3DD-4BDC-B3DD-879AE714DA5E.png

D8D56620-C332-40B1-A3B6-ADF9098220D6.png

929E1B85-B631-4742-95EF-A7450BA252BE.png

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling and pictures

I had no idea the aluminum build plate was part of the Ultimaker S5 package.. This is because I started working for a company that had already bought the Ultimaker before I started working there.

Never the less I can understand the disappointment!

Like shadowman stated a great way to come to even ground with us the costumers is to provide a temporary alternative like a second glass plate + adhesion sheets.

Gr

Iwan

In my opinion

This thread now needs Ultimaker’s position shared.

Takes care

16 hours ago, Shadowman said:

In my opinion

This thread now needs Ultimaker’s position shared.

Takes care

There is a post by Ultimaker already, see @SandervG's post above...

4 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

There is a post by Ultimaker already, see @SandervG's post above...

Yes he did; and my reply followed his.

Thank you

So; what is Ultimaker’s position on this issue?

You made clear that the aluminum build plates are not only not available but still in the development stage.

As such......

Do you intend on shipping registered S5 customers complimentary glass build plates and adhesive sheets or ?

???

I remain confident that this thread is being viewed and yet still; not responded to by the Ultimaker team.

Interesting 

??

@Shadowman You do realize that barely two weeks passed since Sander's response and that poking them every few days serves no purpose and will not make their tests go any faster?

Posted (edited) · Aluminum build plate delivery
    45 minutes ago, Brulti said:

@Shadowman You do realize that barely two weeks passed since Sander's response and that poking them every few days serves no purpose and will not make their tests go any faster?

I strongly disagree...... 

My poking (as you defined my action) them has nothing to do with their on going development and testing but rather.......

SandervG shared that there is ongoing development of the aluminum build plate with promising results however, when the S5 was sold/purchased all of us were told that it was a fully developed product with only the ramping up of production being the reason that they were not shipped with the printer.

These are two different stories; positions, as such a stop gap measure needs to be presented by Ultimaker.

Those of us that purchased the S5 did so with a very clear understanding that it was ready for prime time.

You make it seem as though I should simply wait and hope that someday, maybe, the aluminum build plate will be developed and appear; unacceptable.

As such,

I offer no apology for my cordial and yet relentless action as I am justified in expecting an answer.

Takes care.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

Hi Shadowman and Brulti, thank you for your responses. 

My apologies that my response follows a little bit later than usual. 

We just attended the 4-day lasting FormNext show in Germany which was quite demanding on my agenda. You may have also seen

a little bit less of my presence online for that reason too. 

That is one reason why you haven't received a response yet. 

The other reason is that an answer is rarely as easily given as a question. While 'a free extra glass plate' is easily proposed, the effects can be much larger and need to be thoroughly considered. While I regret that we can't provide a reliable aluminum build plate yet, I can imagine that you feel entitled to some form of compensation. But I am not sure if we will take this route. 

For the time being, I would like to ask you to be patient until we can provide you with more information about this subject and refrain from posting more replies with solely '???'. This will not result in a faster response and it does not benefit the community. 

Thank you for your understanding and have a great day. If you have any further questions, I am happy to help where I can. 

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1