Cura 3.5.0 won't load under Windows 10

Delan

Posted · Cura 3.5.0 won't load under Windows 10

I installed Cura 3.5.0 to replace the previous version on Windows 10. After fresh install, Cura launches normally. However, after being closed, Cura won't open again : Cura.exe appears in the task manager (with relevent size : 41MB) but no GUI shows up. Same problem after killing the process and relaunch it.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall, it worked one time then again, after closing Cura it won't open again.

Log files (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\cura\3.5\cura.log) are empty for this last opening.

Is there another process to kill or something that I missed?

Thanks in advance!

We installed it on three Windows 10 machines; two desktop and I laptop and have been using it with no issues.

We did not uninstall 3.4.1 but rather kept it as a fallback in case of as issue; thus far after numerous prints; no issues.

As with previous versions you must allow it through the firewall as stated.

I've tried a few things and now Cura works again:

1. Uninstalled Cura 3.5.0 (previous versions being already uninstalled). Also, during uninstall process, I selected to delete my configuration files.
    2. At this point, there's nothing in C:\Program Files\Ultimakerwhatsoever or in C:\ProgramData. The are still files in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\cura and C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\cura (although only related to previous version - 3.3 and 3.4 in my case - as well as stderr and stdout log files. I moved them somewhere else, just in case.
    3. I made a fresh install (no additionnal component selected: no arduino drivers, no visual studio). No other issue, Cura starts at the end (as before), and after adding custom printer, allowed to send date, then closing Cura, it starts again (and again) (and again). One solution of the issue, but still, we lose all the configuration. 
    4. I uninstalled Cura, suppressed the newly created "user" files in both local and roaming, put the ones from previous versions back in place, re-installed Cura, it starts with my old parameters at the end of the install. At this point, Cura runs normally (closes and starts as it should). Moreover, the Cura.exe process in the task manager is bigger than when the bug occured (~200MB instead of ~42MB).

Something apparently failed during the install process, but I don't know what. I'll repost here if the problem occurs again.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for sharing the steps to your success.

I am glad that you were able to get it to work.

Issue re-occurred, back to initial problem... 

The only events that happened in-between were a few slicings and a reboot of the computer.

Same here, Cura 3.5.0 dose not start under Windows 10 but a task manager entry exists.

My workaround:

Cura desktop icon / right click - properties / compatibility / check compatibility mode for windows 8

Unchecking compatibility mode and starting Cura will work once.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.5.0 won't load under Windows 10
    On 10/12/2018 at 9:23 AM, qrti said:

My workaround:

Cura desktop icon / right click - properties / compatibility / check compatibility mode for windows 8

Unchecking compatibility mode and starting Cura will work once.

Almost made it for me: I had to let the compatibility mode (Windows 8 ) checked otherwise the problem persisted.

Edited by Delan

Hi All

I have the same issue here.

Either Cura 2.1.2 or 3.5.0 are not starting. I have tired it on 4 different computers.

A file "stderr.txt" is generated in "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\cura" every time I try to start Cura

It shows:

Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

Current thread 0x00003218 (most recent call first):
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\GL\OpenGLContext.py", line 29 in setContext
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\GL\OpenGLContext.py", line 104 in detectBestOpenGLVersion
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 129 in initialize
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 277 in initialize
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Application.py", line 206 in run
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 287 in run
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 657 in run
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 138 in <module>
      File "Console.py", line 24 in <module>
      File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 634 in _load_backward_compatible
      File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664 in _load_unlocked
      File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 958 in _find_and_load_unlocked
      File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 969 in _find_and_load
      File "__startup__.py", line 12 in <module>

On 10/12/2018 at 8:18 PM, newman814 said:

Hi All

I have the same issue here.

Either Cura 2.1.2 or 3.5.0 are not starting. I have tired it on 4 different computers.

A file "stderr.txt" is generated in "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\cura" every time I try to start Cura

It shows:

Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

Current thread 0x00003218 (most recent call first):
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\GL\OpenGLContext.py", line 29 in setContext
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\GL\OpenGLContext.py", line 104 in detectBestOpenGLVersion
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 129 in initialize
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 277 in initialize
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Application.py", line 206 in run
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 287 in run
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 657 in run
      File "X:\3.5\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 138 in <module>
      File "Console.py", line 24 in <module>
      File "__startup__.py", line 12 in <module>

This is an issue with your video drivers. Update them to the latest version

You can try the following:

Cura desktop icon

Right click in properties

go to compatibility tab

click on "Run Compatibility Troubleshooter"  

Try recommended settings 

Test the program (let it cook...)

when it's ready click next and hopefully it works. 

Same here--I was able to run it several times throughout the day but this morning it wouldn't launch.  I can see two instances of Cura in the Task Manager.  I ended both, same issue; rebooted, same issue.

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.5.0 won't load under Windows 10
    On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, Delan said:

Almost made it for me: I had to let the compatibility mode (Windows 8 ) checked otherwise the problem persisted.

Same here,

I reinstalled Cura (3.5.1) several times before and it was running only once afterwards. I had the Cura.exe in Task Manager as well, but no GUI nor Splashscreen.

Now, started in compatibility mode (Win8), it seams to work again. Thank for sharing this.
    Hopefully this will be fixed with the next updates ?

Lutz

Edited by lutz

Ultimaker...for the love of God please fix this, it's now mid-November and I have the same issue. New machine, nearly clean install, not the firewall, had to go to Windows 8 compatibility mode to get the Cura gui to load. And no, I don't want to upgrade to the next version, Prusa doesn't support it yet, you should patch this version!

Windows 8 compatibility mode did not work for me but re-running the compatibility troubleshooter suggested the Vista service pack 2 compatibility mode which did work.  So far Cura 3.5.1 is restarting  OK on a windows 10 machine in that mode.  

On 11/16/2018 at 6:47 PM, Biermeister said:

Ultimaker...for the love of God please fix this, it's now mid-November and I have the same issue. New machine, nearly clean install, not the firewall, had to go to Windows 8 compatibility mode to get the Cura gui to load. And no, I don't want to upgrade to the next version, Prusa doesn't support it yet, you should patch this version! 

We need to patch it because prusa doesn't want to do something? You understand that's a weird shift of responsibility, right?

Also, the 3.5 profiles should work just fine in 3.6

Hey, point taken, but see the attached, Prusa says differently. The point is, this wasn't some little feature but, it is a severe error that the program won't even run until you manage to get Windows to run in an ancient compatibility mode, people have suffered through it for 6 weeks through <at least> two releases, no telling if it's fixed in the current version. I think people commonly have various reasons to stick to--or go back to--an old release. Obviously you don't normally push backwards with bug fixes, but this is kind of a big one.

Capture.JPG

Hi Guys

I tried to update my video driver but the computer shows that I already have the latest driver. Instead of doing that, I disable my graphic card. The Cura works fine if my graphic card is disabled. 

On 10/15/2018 at 2:17 AM, nallath said:

This is an issue with your video drivers. Update them to the latest version

13 hours ago, Biermeister said:

Hey, point taken, but see the attached, Prusa says differently. The point is, this wasn't some little feature but, it is a severe error that the program won't even run until you manage to get Windows to run in an ancient compatibility mode, people have suffered through it for 6 weeks through <at least> two releases, no telling if it's fixed in the current version. I think people commonly have various reasons to stick to--or go back to--an old release. Obviously you don't normally push backwards with bug fixes, but this is kind of a big one.

Capture.JPG

Well, as one of the developers of Cura I'm saying that they are wrong 😉 

As for being able to fix an issue, in most cases, we also need to be able to reproduce it in the first place. I understand the frustration but "Just fixing it" is usually easier said than done.

Ok,understood. You guys have developed one fantastic capability evolving Cura to what it is today, sorry for focusing on a problem without acknowledging that! Hence, my agitation when it stopped working, and surprise that it could suddenly go 100% dead and non-compatible with the latest Windows, perhaps inexplicably for just some people. Anyway, please keep doing great things, cheers! 🙂

• Like 1

I've just come across this problem with version 3.6.0. Yesterday Cura asked me to update and I did. I did several prints (on Creality CR10) with this version. This morning I started the PC then tried to open an STL file and nothing happened: there were several Cura instances in task manager, but no GUI.

After finding this thread, I did the compatibility trouble shooter and Cura does open when I choose to Test, so at least I have a workaround now.

Windows 10 is build 17134.471. Display adapter is Intel HD Graphics 630 driver 25.20.100.6471. Avast free anti virus 18.8.2356.

I've been using Cura for about 6 months with no issues until now. It is a great piece of software. I assume some weird combination of Windows or driver updates is to blame. I hope the problem gets fixed soon.

Merry Christmas!

Same issue for me

Right clicking and running Cura as admin worked for me