Extra Retraction at Start

DHQidiTech1

Posted · Extra Retraction at Start

Can someone explain why I am getting an extra retraction command right before my skirt starts? When I print, the filament doesn't print for sometime because of the extra retraction. I have tried it in both 3.4.1 and 3.5. Maybe I have a setting that is checked or set wrong. Below is my gcode from 3.5.0

;FLAVOR:RepRap
;TIME:966
;Filament used: 0m, 0.239212m
;Layer height: 0.1
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 3.5.0
T1
M190 S60
M104 T1 S200
M109 T1 S200
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
;Start G-code ----------------------------------------------
G28 ;Home

;Prime the extruder
G92 E0
G1 E3 F200
G92 E0
M83 ;relative extrusion mode
G1 F1500 E-6.5
;LAYER_COUNT:18
;LAYER:0
G1 F1200 E-9.5       <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<------------------- Here is the extra retraction ------------------------------ 
T1
M107
G0 F3600 X96.903 Y65.048 Z0.3
;TYPE:SKIRT

I have also attached the project file.

XYZ_nickel_Calibration.3mf

Hi @DHQidiTech1, it is caused by the nozzle switch retraction distance being set to 16 in your profile. If I set it to 0 then you get the following:

G28 ;Home

G92 E0
    G1 E3 F200
    G92 E0
    G1 F1500 E-6.5
    G1 F1500 E6.5
    T1
    M107
    G1 F1800 X97.404 Y64.385 E0.01563

The retraction/prime now cancel each other out.

Whether this is a bug or just the normal expected behaviour I cannot say as I only have experience with single extruder printers.

Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...
    On 10/12/2018 at 3:09 PM, smartavionics said:

Hi @DHQidiTech1, it is caused by the nozzle switch retraction distance being set to 16 in your profile. If I set it to 0 then you get the following:

That seems to be the default, and this explains why I always wind up with the skirt line dragged into the model (UM3 Fast PLA config attached)

image.png.09a185c05e5f40455c14f41a68bf5489.png

Posted (edited) · Extra Retraction at Start
    On 10/13/2018 at 1:09 AM, burtoogle said:

G28 ;Home

G92 E0
    G1 E3 F200
    G92 E0
    G1 F1500 E-6.5
    G1 F1500 E6.5
    T1
    M107
    G1 F1800 X97.404 Y64.385 E0.01563

The retraction/prime now cancel each other out.

Whether this is a bug or just the normal expected behaviour I cannot say as I only have experience with single extruder printers.

Hope this helps.

Hi @burtoogle

If printer has 1 head the parameter you are talking about is hidden by system. Checkbox doesn't work to show it. Do hidden parameters affect g-code? Cause I have same issue with retraction at start. Any clues how to unhide it to make zero?

Edited by airdox

I also have your same problem and i also can't select that option for the same reason, is there a way to fix this?

btw i'm new, so sorry if i'm saying stupid shit

I had the same issue, but managed to figure out how to un-hide it. You need to modify the printer settings temporarily to have more than one extruder. Once it's set to 2, it will show the settings mentioned above so you can edit them finally, then afterward, just change the settings back to only having 1 extruder.

Posted (edited) · Extra Retraction at Start

Hi!

The same thing is happening to me and I can't figure how to change the options to "2 Extruders" (can't change it in printer profile, there is only "1")..
    Is there another way around this?
    This is new, it was working fine until yesterday..

Edited by ivanlunah

Can you post a Gcode file that shows the problem?  I have a feeling that your problem is different than the above.

In the meantime a clumsy fix is to use the Search and Replace plugin and set the Search field to "G1 F1200 E-9.5" and the Replace field to";G1 F1200 E-9.5".  The difference is the semi-colon in front that turns the line from a command to a comment.  You can also open a Gcode file and add the semi-colon manually.

Thank you for the reply and suggestion! I will try the plugin you suggested.

Here is the start of the G-code:

Initially there was 3 "G92 E0"(now 2) and I removed that final line from my "Start G-Code" (in printer settings), don't know where that comes from either... here the 3 "mysteriously" added lines:

"G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F1200 E-3.5"

;FLAVOR:Marlin
    ;TIME:1338
    ;Filament used: 0.903344m
    ;Layer height: 0.2
    ;MINX:93.693
    ;MINY:94.154
    ;MINZ:0.2
    ;MAXX:126.307
    ;MAXY:130.208
    ;MAXZ:18.4
    ;LINEARADVANCEPROCESSED
    ;ZOFFSETPROCESSED
    ;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.8.0
    M140 S70
    M105
    M190 S70
    M104 S235
    M105
    M109 S235
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    G28 ; Home all axis
    G0 Z15 F3000 ; Move up 15mm at 3000mm/min
    G92 E0 ; Reset extruder length to zero
    G0 X0 Y0 F3000 ; go to edge of print area
    G0 Z0.14 F3000 ; Go to Start Z position
    G1 Y60 E9 F1000 ; intro line 1
    G1 Y150 E30 F1000 ; intro line 2
    G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F1200 E-3.5
    ;LAYER_COUNT:92
    M900 K0.100000 T0 ;added by LinearAdvanceSettingPlugin
    M107
    G0 F9000 X97.869 Y98.209 Z0.3 ;adjusted by z offset
    G92 Z0.2 ;consider this the original z before offset

[---]

G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F1200 E-3.5

I had trouble with that line delaying extrusion for the skirt.  There is a prime move later in the code (G1 F1200 E0 just after the ";Skirt" line), but it wasn't enough.  This is my fix:

With the Search and Replace plugin active, set the Search criteria to "G1 F1200 E-3.5" and set the replace criteria to "G92 E-5".  Since there is no longer a retraction, just a reset to -5, when the G1 F1200 E0 line is acted on by the printer, the extruder pushes 5mm of filament to get to E=0.  That's a good prime and usually results in a slight blob at the start of the skirt or brim.  The down side is that if you change the retraction speed, or the retraction distance in Cura, the Search line changes and the Search and Replace plugin won't see it.  So when changing Retraction Speed or Distance you must change the search criteria of the plugin.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I will try it out!

Altough it doesn't affect the prints, I'll still try to find out why it adds a duplicate "G92 E0"

hi I have the same problem with the lines
    G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F1500 E-6.5

What do you mean by: modify printer settings temporarily?

When you go into printer settings if you tell it you have 2 heads you get more options.  You can modify those options and a few seconds later tell cura you actually only have 1 head and those hidden settings remain at the new values.

Just try it and you will see this happen yourself.

Machine settings are usually here:  go to left side of screen in PREPARE mode.  Click on your printer, then do "manage printers" then "machine settings", notice that there are 2 or 3 tabs including one called "extruder 1".  When you change the qty of extruders you should see a 3rd tab.

There are 2 other ways to edit machine settings but they are more involved.

I don't have the option of more extruders, How do i have to do it?206282070_InkedSinttulo_LI.thumb.jpg.ecace8e3649c9364261935e6dd5e1dc4.jpg

Ah.  Hmm.  I'm not sure but if it were me I'd try installing the printer settings plugin.  It has a lot more features.

Click "marketplace" in upper right of cura, make sure you are on "plugins", scroll down and alphabetically among the "P"s is "printer settings" plugin.

I have installed the plugin and nothing has changed...

reinstalling the program and deleting the Cura folder is not a solution either.

855821615_Sinttulo.thumb.jpg.b2a6df5c087e2418bbe65d13eba83a96.jpg

Sin título2.jpg

I've always wondered where the double reset comes from, whether it's a setting thing, or just something in Cura.  I've just started printing a 1.1 million line Gcode file.  Until some time tomorrow I will have enough to fret about without worrying about the extra line of code.

after installing the plugin you have to restart cura.  Then in settings there are a ton of settings in the "printer settings" category.

None of them seem to be visible by default but even if "invisible" they show up if you type the name of the setting in the settings search box.

OH!  Sorry.  qty of extruders isn't in that list.  Bummer.  Neither is "nozzle switch retraction distance".  I guess it's in the json file for you particular printer.  It's getting more complicated.  I've never modified a printer's json file so not sure I want to explain the process:

you can edit the json file with your printer settings here.  The files are in a "definitions" folder *somewhere* on your computer (no idea how to find this folder on a PC - maybe in %appdata%/cura/??  Here are 10 of the files out of about 106 different printer configuration files.  Find your printer.

geo@geo-Wild-Dog-Pro:~/cura/share/cura/resources/definitions$ 
    geo@geo-Wild-Dog-Pro:~/cura/share/cura/resources/definitions$ 
    geo@geo-Wild-Dog-Pro:~/cura/share/cura/resources/definitions$ grep -R -i material_diameter *
    101Hero.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    3dator.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    abax_pri3.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    abax_pri5.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    abax_titan.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    anycubic_i3_mega.def.json:        "material_diameter":
    bfb.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.7 },
    bq_hephestos_2.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    bq_hephestos.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_hephestos_xl.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_witbox_2.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_witbox.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    builder_premium_large.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    builder_premium_medium.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    builder_premium_small.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },

If you do manage to fix it, please post here what you did.  It should also be posted to github for cura project so it's fixed in future versions of cura because the next time you install an update to cura you will lose any of the changes you make in the json file.

Screenshot from 2020-12-07 17-36-51.png

I see the printer settings but that does not solve the problem for me...

I don't know how to modify the JSON file.

1964125366_Sinttulo2.thumb.jpg.a7f0443acebdded3246dd87b63f7b0b6.jpg

SOLUCIONADO: Pestanya "Extensiones" postprocesador, (Option) Search and remplace.

Ponemos la línia de comando que queremos eliminar o substituir. Si queremos eliminarla ponemos ; delante y se convierte en un comentario.

😋

Having the same issue here.  I have downloaded the printer settings plugin, and in "settings" can see the "Nozzle Switch Retraction Distance" setting (with the checkbox).  When hovered over it, it says that its not visible because the printer only has one extruder. 

In the printer settings, printhead settings, number of extruders, it will not allow me to select more than 1 extruder (I have the Creality Ender-5).  So I cannot adjust that setting.

I have verified however, that the extra line of code is in the gcode, compiled during slicing, and is after the end of the start gcode.

Need help with this, as it is causing skirt to mess up, and resulting in failing 1st layer prints.

@KronosMT could you post a snippet of the Gcode you think is causing the problem?  Because the rest of this thread kinda goes all over the place and I get lost.