Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jens3

Upgrading Cura under Ubuntu 18

I am trying to upgrade 3.4.1 to 3.5. When I run Cura 3.4.1 it informs me that there is a new version but clicking on the 'download' button produces no action.

In order to upgrade to a newer Cura I would go to the official Cura download site and install the new version but configurations and profiles never carried across to the newly installed version. I didn't think this was a software issue as I was doing a new install in my mind. I have now been told that installing a new version 'should' copy all the old information from previous installs.

Sooo, is there a way that I can bring the profiles, configurations, settings etc from 3.4.1 to 3.5 ?

Am I the only one running Cura under Ubuntu and not seeing any attempts of the new install trying to carry stuff over from the old install ?

Maybe I am doing something fundamentally wrong ... I seem to recall that several versions back the setup and profiles were carried across.

About all I do is download the appimage file, set the executable bit and run the file - should I be doing anything else ?

You're not the only one, but your message just slipped under my radar. Sorry for that. I'm not running on Ubuntu myself (As i'm using Fedora), but we do test using Ubuntu.

So yes, profiles should be moved over from 3.4.1 to 3.5 automatically. The steps you describe should be all you should do for this to work.

Could you provide the logs and look at ~/.local/share/cura and see if there is a 3.4 and a 3.5 folder?

• Like 1

I can confirm the existence of ~/.local/share/cura  3.4 and 3.5 folders .... HOWEVER, some 3.4 folders (ie setting-visibility) are empty when I expected to see stuff. Could I have somehow changed the location of these files? I did not see any custom profiles - where would these be kept ?

Log is attached

cura.log

Edited by jens3

13 minutes ago, jens3 said:

Thanks, that explains that. Where are the user profiles located? This is the biggest issue as currently I would have to go into 3.4, export every profile, go into 3.5 and import every profile ...

The answer is "out and about". There are multiple types of profiles. The most important ones are in the user folder (eg; settings you changed but didn't save yet) and in quality_changes (settings you did save to profile).

The machines are stored in /extruders and /machine_instances

Edited by nallath

Thanks, I found all the profiles in the 'quality_changes' in 3.4 - that folder is empty in 3.5.

Edit: I copied all the files in the 3.4/quality_changes to 3.5 and now have all the profiles available. I have not tested operation but it is looking promising.

Automatic transfer of profiles would be nice of course .... but it looks like this will make 3.5 usable for me. Thanks !

Edited by jens3

Just to follow up on this, if I remove the 3.5 folder (and the ~/.config/cura/3.5 folder) and start up 3.5.1, the folders are recreated but at a minimum the custom profiles do not get copied over nor do the extensions (z-offset and backup).

There may be other stuff that doesn't get copied but I did not investigate beyong the profiles and extensions.