UM3E - Spring Fallen

Shirly

Posted · UM3E - Spring Fallen

Hi,

On the BB side of my printer there is a spring that has fallen through the hole from were the PVA is extruded. It is causing issues when trying to get the print core in and also when the filament is coming down it is getting stuck on it.

Is it possible/easy to get this spring back to were it should be?! Would anyone have had a similar experience and maybe instructions on how to do so?

Thank you

7 hours ago, fbrc8-erin said:

You can disassemble the printhead and reinstall it. There are some photos of the process on this thread.

Just curiius

I assume this setup is the same for the S5.

If this is true should we keep a couple springs as spares or is the risk of failure and or issue well below the proverbial radar?

What is the part number for the spring and if replaced is there anything else required at the same time?

Thank you 

4 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I am a firm believer in spares just because of Murphy's law. Spares of the most idiotic to the most expected, in all parts of my career, have been a saving grace.

I agree as such I have what a consider a decent inventory of spares, filaments, Print Cores, Bowden tube sleeves, clips, build plate, hit end fan, etc. and have no issue purchasing addition items; like yourself; when preparing to or in the middle of a project often at the day’s end or at the weekend the last thing I want is to wait for FedEx.

If ultimately it turns out to be a warrantable item it can be tended to after the fact but as they say; the show must go on.

As soon as the part number for the spring and anything else needed should it cause an issue I will order them.

I appreciate your supportive comments.

Thank you 

Just now, kmanstudios said:

Yeah, I got bit once too often with the Friday afternoon issue popping up as well as holiday delays.

Murphy’s Law.... never fails.

With most of my prints taking days to complete I do all that I can to mitigate risk.

After several years of always crossing my fingers tightly when initiating a print I was a bit nervous with the S5 however, it has been roughly 5 weeks and I am finally beginning to relax and trust the printer. 

I shared in a different thread earlier today that I awoke today to a remote view of the S5 printer having stopped and when I got into the office I found that the PVA spool had gotten bound up and the filament was unable to be pulled. I quickly corrected the issue and hit resume and to my greatest surprise and pleasure, it resumed printing as if it had never stopped and now 11 hours later it is still printing away with target completion in 14 more hours.

Prior to the S5 this would have been a failed print and a loss of a day’s printing not to mention the materials.

In any case; I too believe in spares and like you, encourage all to maintain at least essentials on hand at all times.

Takes care 

• Like 1

I just did a search and no part number was presented for the spring. I also searched within;

https://fbrc8.com/collections/ultimaker-s5-spare-parts

13 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

.....it resumed printing as if it had never stopped

It is nice. and, it makes me a bit hopeful that something will get ported to the UM3 series soon. It is a very, very useful part of the equation.

It has spoilt me a tad.....

6 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

It is nice. and, it makes me a bit hopeful that something will get ported to the UM3 series soon. It is a very, very useful part of the equation.

It has spoilt me a tad.....

I would like to see the next generation of the 3 series with;

1. S5 style extruders; the simple flip lever and gear sets.

2. Filament sensors

3. S5’s active build plate leveling 

4. S5 stepper motors 

5. Aluminum build plate 

With these additions I am a customer for a 3 too.

Having shared this; both the 3 and the S5 need a better camera setup. Certainly it is nice to see if the print is progressing however, the present camera location does very little more; no bitch; just a wish.

Thanks for the suggestions! Not overly confident in my ability to pull the printers apart but i'll give it ago!

I have faith. ? If I can do it, I am pretty sure you can as well. Just follow Da Clumsy Noob's main rule when dealing with hardware....take your time. It is not a race and you will learn a lot about your printer as you go along.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 5:17 AM, Shirly said:

Hi,

On the BB side of my printer there is a spring that has fallen through the hole from were the PVA is extruded. It is causing issues when trying to get the print core in and also when the filament is coming down it is getting stuck on it.

Is it possible/easy to get this spring back to were it should be?! Would anyone have had a similar experience and maybe instructions on how to do so?

Thank you

Shirley 

First of all; I got sidetracked posting within your thread things that had nothing to do with your issue; I apologize.

Now to your issue.

I have looked over the procedures and am confident that the procedure to correct the issue can be easily tended to.

Not knowing where you are located I would be happy to walk you through the process over the phone; eyes from afar.

PM me if you would like some help.

Take care.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:13 PM, Shadowman said:

I just did a search and no part number was presented for the spring. I also searched within;

https://fbrc8.com/collections/ultimaker-s5-spare-parts

I need to double check the individual part numbers before I add this page to the S5 collection, but I believe all of these parts are the same for both the UM3 and UMS5 printers: https://fbrc8.com/collections/ultimaker-3-spare-parts/products/lifting-switch-pack-um3-um3x

It's not really common for the spring to fall through like that--I don't see it often. But it's a cheap enough spare part to have on hand if it's something you wanted to keep a spare one hand for.

Posted (edited) · UM3E - Spring Fallen
    4 hours ago, fbrc8-erin said:

I need to double check the individual part numbers before I add this page to the S5 collection, but I believe all of these parts are the same for both the UM3 and UMS5 printers: https://fbrc8.com/collections/ultimaker-3-spare-parts/products/lifting-switch-pack-um3-um3x

It's not really common for the spring to fall through like that--I don't see it often. But it's a cheap enough spare part to have on hand if it's something you wanted to keep a spare one hand for.

Thank you 

I saw the link for the 3 after I posted the reply but would like it confirmed; thank you.

The fact that the incidents have been rare is comforting and yet because the cost is low I am inclined to keep a spare on sight.

I will await your update and then order.

Thank you again.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

It looks like those 4 parts are the same.

Good day Erin and thank you.

I will include them with my order.

Takes care 

Hi Everyone, thanks for all your help and advice, thanks also for your offer Shadowman. I finally got around to trying it out today and I have the spring back were it should be..yay! But now im left with another issue. I found this thread which describes what is happening now https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/19408-um-3-head-assembly/ So now the metal part is coming down too far, into the print core so I can't take it in or out and it won't work as it should. I have tried to follow the pictures in this thread but I'm at a complete loss now as to what ive done wrong!!

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

3 hours ago, Shirly said:

Hi Everyone, thanks for all your help and advice, thanks also for your offer Shadowman. I finally got around to trying it out today and I have the spring back were it should be..yay! But now im left with another issue. I found this thread which describes what is happening now https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/19408-um-3-head-assembly/ So now the metal part is coming down too far, into the print core so I can't take it in or out and it won't work as it should. I have tried to follow the pictures in this thread but I'm at a complete loss now as to what ive done wrong!!

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

You are welcome and I am glad progress was made.

I wish I could help with the metal part. I would PM the fellow in the other thread or PM Erin at Ultimaker as she engaged in the thread too.

I expect it to be an easy fix and then you will be the go to person for spring replacement.

Let us know once resolved.

Just as an update, thanks to Erin i managed to get the spring back in place. I think i tired placing  the screw in every direction other than the right direction! Anyway, screw first through the top of the first white thing and then spring after. Not very technical but I didn't take any pictures unfortunately!

I've managed to create another issue all together since I fixed it with a print core temp error message but thats for another thread! Thanks again

• Like 1

Thank you for the update.

Erin is wonderful; she has assisted me too.

• Like 1