S5 “A Truly Awesome” Feature

Shadowman

Posted · S5 “A Truly Awesome” Feature

When the S5 was purchased a few weeks ago many things were discussed and considered with the filament sensor always being pushed to the top of the list.

To be perfectly candid; I did not see it as a big deal because I always load sufficient filament however; early this morning I remotely viewed in to see the progress of a multi day print and to my surprise I saw no activity but rather the build plate was lowered.

Not sure what I’d find when I walked in the office I was anxious because this print needs to be completed tomorrow.

I found an exclamation mark on the touch screen and when I tapped it a message that said something along the line of filament empty or ? app sees. I was fairly certain that I knew what the issue was; the spool of PVA filament nearing the last 30% of remaining material. Before starting this print I found it to tangle upon itself easier than when a full roll and sure enough this is what happen; I could not pull the filament as it was bound tight. We had been a watching this the last few prints because the smaller the coils the more pervasive this issue is.

In any case;

Never having experienced this as typically such an event would have resulted in a failed print I removed the roll of PVA filament and relaxed the winding of the filament “never” removing it from the feeder and then hit resume.

After a few minutes of likely the built plate and nozzles warming up the print resumed as if “nothing” ever happened.

I am now a firm believer in the filament sensor on the S5 as without it I would have lost 20 plus hours of printing and not be able to complete this print on time.

As stated

A truly awesome feature of this printer.

• Like 1

I will second that.  I thought much the same and then had the filament run out about 80% way through a 18 hour print (I thought I had enough, of course).  Loaded the new roll and away it went.

That being said, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anywhere to actually walk through loading a roll as an option.  I waited for it to heat up, popped the feeder lever (another great item) and pushed a bit of the new roll in then closed the level.

Either way, absolutely awesome!

The sensor saved me the other week when on a long print the filament snapped at about 90% done what brings the other good point that you can easy reload and swap filament mid print without any problems.

20 minutes ago, Carla_Birch said:

The sensor saved me the other week when on a long print the filament snapped at about 90% done what brings the other good point that you can easy reload and swap filament mid print without any problems.

Like yourself; until it truly saves a print the feature is moderately interesting.

It is truly a spectacular feature and it saved me twice during this last multi day print because the PVA filament got tangled and bound during the print.

For myself; this feature is a must have for all future printer considerations.

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the thumbs up !!!

For us developers, the filament sensor was a lot of effort to get working stable and its nice to read here that you all appreciate the feature. We will continue to make this feature even more reliable in future updates.

Posted (edited) · S5 “A Truly Awesome” Feature
    35 minutes ago, CarloK said:

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the thumbs up !!!

For us developers, the filament sensor was a lot of effort to get working stable and its nice to read here that you all appreciate the feature. We will continue to make this feature even more reliable in future updates.

As shared; a truly wonderful feature and a print saver on a grand-scale.

Thank you all.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling