Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
johank

Language problem

Hi Daid,

I'm one of the Swedish users of Cura, and I have some problems. Using the standard settings of Cura, the program wont slice anything 3 days a week. All I get is a Ubuntu crash report, however Cura keeps running, and creating more crash reports.

I have located the source of this error to the fact that my Ubuntu is set to use the Swedish language. The problem is that 3 weekdays in Swedish contains special characters (Måndag,Lördag,Söndag), and when Cura generates ascii string from "{day}" in start.gcode these days are represented with ("mån","lör","sön"), which gets a representation containing something like 0xC3A5. If I start Cura with "LANG=en_us; cura", all is well, and my model slice.

the error is reported like:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/share/cura/Cura/gui/sceneView.py", line 420, in _onRunSlicer

self._slicer.runSlicer(self._scene)

File "/usr/share/cura/Cura/util/sliceEngine.py", line 116, in runSlicer

for k, v in self._engineSettings(extruderCount).iteritems():

File "/usr/share/cura/Cura/util/sliceEngine.py", line 259, in _engineSettings

'startCode': profile.getAlterationFileContents('start.gcode', extruderCount),

File "/usr/share/cura/Cura/util/profile.py", line 797, in getAlterationFileContents

return unicode(prefix + re.sub("(.)\{([^\}]*)\}", replaceTagMatch, alterationContents).rstrip() + '\n' + postfix).strip().encode('utf-8') + '\n'

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/re.py", line 151, in sub

return _compile(pattern, flags).sub(repl, string, count)

File "/usr/share/cura/Cura/util/profile.py", line 685, in replaceTagMatch

return pre + time.strftime('%a').encode('utf-8', 'replace')

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 1: ordinal not in range(128)

I'm not a python guy and I don't know how to fix this, but the problem is as described above.

On a related note, I really must say I appreciate the new slicing engine. The only question I have so far is if Cura isn't a little to eager to slice the models. I know you don't like unnecessary stages in the printing process but I find the ever appearing slice process indicator a little annoying. The fact that Cura is eager to slice resulted in quite a few error reports as well.

best regards,

Johan K