Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
gloine

Cura 13.07 thin walls issue

Hi guys,

I am trying to use the new 13.07 Cura engine downloaded directly from Github (https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine). It works significantly better than 13.06 on thin walls, but I still have problems with it. I think it's worth reporting here because Daid and other people seem to be actively working on this issue.

My model is a cone shaped hollow structure with its wall thickness varying smoothly from 1.2mm to 0.8 mm, from the bottom to the top. The following picture is a successful print on 13.07.

13.07 whole

On 13.06, I had too many blobs generated (and gave up a full print), as shown below:

However, I still have problems with 13.07 in the transition layers from 1.2 mm to 0.8 mm, which can be seen in the detailed pictures below:

13.07 detail 1

The random blobs shown in the picture were from unexpected retractions. And (more seriously) there were a few critical layers which showed random movements of the head and resulted in many blobs and strings inside the cone, as in the picture below:

13.07 detail 2

I uncommented the following two lines in the source code and commented out line infill. The problem above happens for both of the infill types.

int sparseSteps[1] = {config.extrusionWidth};

generateConcentricInfill(part->skinOutline, fillPolygons, sparseSteps, 1);

Some important parameters I adjusted:

Layer height 0.2 mm

Shell thickness 1.3 mm

Print speed: 60 mm/s

Retraction speed: 30 mm/s

Retraction distance: 4.5mm

Here are my STL model and gcode file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/svyeo5lv2r0wwwp/cone.zip

I can help as far as I can, like printing again with modified source code, or even playing around with the source code if somebody gives me some idea.

Best regards,

Gloine