Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
brentwerder

Issues with UMO+ Board

Hello again,

Just spent a few hours trying to get my UMO+ up and running again with no success.  My problems all stem from the main board, which is giving me a ton of trouble.

My machine has an E3D v6 with two 12v fans wired in parallel, which had worked for a few months before a transistor blew (see my last post).  After this happened, one fan wouldn't start and the other worked fine, so I replaced the faulty one with a new one.  The replacement didn't work unless I turned the PWM to >240.  I just got in some new fans and the same applies with these.

Additionally, both heater outputs (heater block and bed) aren't giving me any outputs.  The thermistors work fine, but the heaters themselves don't heat up at all.  Checked the board and there is no voltage at either output when heating.

I can't home the axes or move motors.  Those seem to be dead too.  No voltage output from board there.

Finally, the 24v always-on fan on the E3D isn't turning on.  No voltage from any 24v output, but the PSU is giving me 24v.  Strangely enough, there's a 5v fan out in the middle of the board that does give me 5v.

From my standpoint, I would guess that a fuse (or something similar) is dead somewhere.  The only thing that seems to be "alive" on the machine is the screen, which is perfectly fine, and the fan output--which is half fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Fingers crossed I don't have to shell out the cash for another board...

4 hours ago, brentwerder said:

Just spent a few hours trying to get my UMO+ up and running again with no success.  My problems all stem from the main board, which is giving me a ton of trouble.

UMO+ uses the main board 2.1.1, right?

There are two "Safety"-Jumpers that (dis-)connect the 24V line if (not) installed - i would check those first

(between LED- and endstop-connectors).

And AFAIK there's a relay for the 24V line near the power connector - this may be faulty - (measure the voltage there).

Well, there's a few problems out of the way!

Not sure how it happened but those two jumpers were missing.  I added them back and power returned to the always-on fan and heaters.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, my dual fan problem persists.  Not certain how to fix that.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:56 AM, brentwerder said:

E3D v6 with two 12v fans wired in parallel

That’s the issue

umo+ uses 24V for the fans, so either the fans died or the pwm transistor died (most probably the first option than the second).

To use 12V fans on umo+ you need to connect them Serial not parallel 

Just tried hooking up the fans in series.  I tried all the fans I have, but they all have the same problem.

One fan (an old one) starts up at around ~80 PWM and the new ones all start at ~235 PWM.  It doesn't look like any of them are dead, but they have very high startup voltages.  Strange considering they are the same brand and model that I bought from Amazon before.

It looks like I either need to settle with very fast fans or purchase some new ones on Amazon.  Any recommendations for better quality ones?