Firmware downgrade

dextop

Posted · Firmware downgrade

Hi folks,

Is there a way to downgrade the current  firmware?

I have a lot of issue since the last Cura and firmware upgrades so i want to get back.

The major issue is a random problem of underextrusion with both of the extruders that makes all of my prints fails.

I've checked the drive system, cleaned the hotend, install a brand new extruder but ... nothing

The second annoing thing is that the switch on the front panel isn't working anymore; even with a mouse the 'ok' function sometimes fails.

If the switch is broken it is a very strange coincidence that it's died just after a firmware upgrade...

The printer is unusable.

I don't want to spend words on Cura 3.5, but i've reverted to 3.4.

Ideas?

Posted (edited) · Firmware downgrade

UM3 with the latest firmware auto downloaded. If i start an 'update firmware' the printer says she's updated...

It's the latest available on the UM website. I can't check now because of the failure of both mouse and encoder switch. 

Edited by dextop

The most recent UM3 release is v4.3.3 from 2018-05-29

This release is stable and has no known major problems, 10-thousands of machines are running this version.

Your problem sounds strange because even with an external mouse the menu is difficult to control? Then it doesn't sound like a mechanical failure of the encoder switch. Please check there is no dirt behind the rotary switch knob, you can remove the knob using a small screw driver from the inside of the printer (there is a small hole there) and then you can push out the plastic knob.

Downgrading the firmware is not officially supported. Please try downloading the v4.3.3 version and save the two files to a USB stick, insert the USB stick into your UM3 and then install this from the update menu.

All firmware revisions can be downloaded from: http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/

Many thanks Carlo.

I've checked the encoder switch with the multimeter 'cause i was intended to replace it and it's ok.

The mouse works well for the most if i don't start a print. Printing leads to loses of the mouse functions, while the encoder still control the menu items, except for the 'ok' signal.

I still haven't try to dowgrade the firmware...

Any advice?

Edited by dextop

I don't know, I never heard of a problem like this before. I suspect some kind of electronics problem. Might be something simple as a loose connector. Is the machine still under warranty? Then check your local reseller.

No warranty? Then, how much are you prepared to try yourself? The switch signal goes over a 16 wire flat cable from the front panel pcb to the main pcb. You could try to re-seat the connectors on both sides.

If that doesn't help, then with your multimeter you could verify the switch response on the main board; the flat cable goes to connector p6, pin 11 is the switch and all even numbered pins are ground. The same switch signal can also be found on connector J11, pin 2. The signal should go from 3V to 0V when you toggle the switch.

http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/

unable to open this site, says 404 not found

The link for the recovery image is working: http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/recovery.img

Hola la impresora se actualizo y ahora cada vez que voy a imprimir sale un error el cual dice que se ha detectado un movimiento fuera de lo normal y ya se bloquea la impresora. Estoy trantando de hacer el downgrade a 4.3 desde la memoria USB pero no reconoce los archivos con la extencion .xz y xz.sig necesito ayuda.

6 hours ago, jvillotac said:

Hola la impresora se actualizo y ahora cada vez que voy a imprimir sale un error el cual dice que se ha detectado un movimiento fuera de lo normal y ya se bloquea la impresora. Estoy trantando de hacer el downgrade a 4.3 desde la memoria USB pero no reconoce los archivos con la extencion .xz y xz.sig necesito ayuda.

Please write in English or use one of the other language areas.

With the last firmware update the encoder switch is back to life! 

It was not an hw problem as supposed.

230918-CDM: As an update to this post, you CAN revert back to an older version of S5 firmware. 

Here's the steps I took to kickstart that process:

1. Go to the S5 touch screen and click maintenance

2. Go to the firmware section

3. For the Firmware "channel" subscribe to the STABLE version rather than the LATEST version

4. Once you select the STABLE version, the machine will ask you to start installation

Hope that helps some of you get back to printing if you encounter firmware bugs in the LATEST version.

Edited by cmceezee
    Updated copy to become relevant for this thread