Outer wall - gap between end and start points?

MissDeliana

Posted · Outer wall - gap between end and start points?

So what I thought was a layer change issue turned out to be an outer wall issue.
I am well aware of the fact that getting rid of the "z seam" is just not going to happen, but surely there has to be a way to make it less noticeable. I've successfully printed with a much less noticeable seam wtih S3D and Slic3r, but there seems to be something about how cura moves from inner walls to the outer wall that just messes it up.

SO here's what I am experiencing. A sort of gap between where the perimeter ends and where it starts. And I experience this issue much mroe severly with Cura than with any other slicer I've tried. I seem to recall that I didn't have this issue in much earlier versions of Cura either, so I wonder if this is caused by the default value of a specific setting that might have been introduced a few versions back?

I feel like I've tried everything related to retraction, combing, wall printing order, coasting and wiping and gawd knows what. I'd hate to switch from my favorite slicer just because of this one specific issue. There's gotta be a way to make the end and the start points sorta overlap? I'd much prefer a bit of a blob over this ditch, especially when printing with a nice looking filament that I don't intend to sand and paint afterwards.

(Sorry for the blurry pic, but it's not easy to get the camera to focus on such small details! Printed with layer height 0.2 so it's not really _that_ tiny, but still!)

seam.png

Posted (edited) · Outer wall - gap between end and start points?
    5 hours ago, MissDeliana said:

So what I thought was a layer change issue turned out to be an outer wall issue.
    I am well aware of the fact that getting rid of the "z seam" is just not going to happen, but surely there has to be a way to make it less noticeable. I've successfully printed with a much less noticeable seam wtih S3D and Slic3r, but there seems to be something about how cura moves from inner walls to the outer wall that just messes it up.

SO here's what I am experiencing. A sort of gap between where the perimeter ends and where it starts. And I experience this issue much mroe severly with Cura than with any other slicer I've tried. I seem to recall that I didn't have this issue in much earlier versions of Cura either, so I wonder if this is caused by the default value of a specific setting that might have been introduced a few versions back?

I feel like I've tried everything related to retraction, combing, wall printing order, coasting and wiping and gawd knows what. I'd hate to switch from my favorite slicer just because of this one specific issue. There's gotta be a way to make the end and the start points sorta overlap? I'd much prefer a bit of a blob over this ditch, especially when printing with a nice looking filament that I don't intend to sand and paint afterwards.

(Sorry for the blurry pic, but it's not easy to get the camera to focus on such small details! Printed with layer height 0.2 so it's not really _that_ tiny, but still!)

seam.png

There was a similar albeit different question asked in another thread to which I shared I read an earlier post that discussed being able to alter the layer starting points so as to curtail the ugly vertical line.

Here is a excerpt from that thread;

“It is a setting within the Shell settings group, called Z Seam alignment”

Here is information from Ultimaker Cura

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52343-shell

I hope you find success as I agree; you should not have to do corrective post printing work for a vertical ditch furthermore, anything you do will detract from the finished print.

Edited by Shadowman
    Additional

The issue occurrs once per layer at the starting/ending point of the outermost wall, wether it is all in the same position or not. 

It is not at layer change, I suspect it has to do with how it moves from the inner wall to the outer wall somehow.

I hope this makes it more clear what I mean, as I don't know how to better describe it. 

8 minutes ago, MissDeliana said:

Well, yes, in a way you re right as I intentionally chose to put the seam all in one spot to easier be able to see the issue when tweaking settings to get rid of the issue. 

Understood; you purposely did this with default settings so as present your concern. 

Have you since changed the seam alignment settings and if yes; what are the results?

Yes. The only difference it makes is that the issue is spread out. It doesn't change the fact that it ocurrs. It actually looks worse if I spread it out, in my opinion. On objects with obvious corners etc I can of course hide the issue, not so much when printing something with cylindrical sections. 

Gotcha

As shared; I recall the earlier thread within which folks shared that Cura was “not” good about this when compared to other slicers. The inference was that changes were being made because, like yourself, it is very troubling.

You mentioned printing with nice looking materials and want the finish to be as when printed; this I understand and want too. Particularly as I begin using the CC Print Cores and associated materials.

Again, I hope that someone from Ultimaker Cura joins this thread.

Hello @MissDeliana, could you please save that project (File -> Save) and attach the .3mf file to this thread so I can look at the settings used. Thanks.

4 hours ago, smartavionics said:

Hello @MissDeliana, could you please save that project (File -> Save) and attach the .3mf file to this thread so I can look at the settings used. Thanks.

Hey there! This isn't the same file, I've made a couple of tweaks to suit something else I printed inbetween, but the base issue remains. 

cylinder.3mf

Thanks for the file but that only contains the mode, I need the project file that also contains the settings. Thanks.

4 hours ago, smartavionics said:

Thanks for the file but that only contains the mode, I need the project file that also contains the settings. Thanks.

Aha! So the profile then? You just asked for the 3mf. I'll get back to you in a couple of hours. 

1 minute ago, MissDeliana said:

Aha! So the profile then? You just asked for the 3mf. I'll get back to you in a couple of hours. 

No, not the profile. I want the project file that contains everything (model & settings). Thanks.