AMTech3d_Tech

Ulitmaker 2 board dead

Posted · Ulitmaker 2 board dead

Well i have the ultimaker 2 3d printer

i updated it to 2+ with the upgrade kit

later on after a lot of successful printing i found that the cooling fans not working well

so i check the wires and ports on the board and there was a dead connection at the printer head

soldered the junction and it worked for a good time

later o i found that the fan 5 volt not wokring so i tried to change it and while iam doing that i accidentally short circuit the wires

and now the board is dead at all ...

doesnt wont to open..only the on light led is on

no connection to the laptop...no TX RX leds working

and no display working

It would have been best to work on those wires with the power off.  Obviously now.

So you probably only damaged one or two components.  The schematic is here - about half way down this pdf:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_(x1)/Main Board V2.1.1.pdf

The most likely broken component is U6  which is an A4403GEUTR-T made by allegro microsystems.  I'd make sure pin 1 was at 24V and pin12 was not at 5V and if so I'd probably just replace that.  It's possible something else was damaged but I suspect only that part got destroyed.  So if you are good with surface mount you could try replacing it.

Or you could get a new PCB either from Ultimaker or you could get a knock off from china.  The knock offs are a bit different - with removable stepper drivers.

Or maybe L2 got burnt?  If there is 5V at U6 PIN 12 then check on the other side of L2 at TP16 perhaps.

Unless you have multiple UM2's that you want to keep the same for a consisted workflow, I would recommend replacing the board with a Duet3d board.  Basically modernize your machine for less money. It's more silent, and it's network connected, controlled from any device that runs a browser.

• Like 1