Any other slicer then Cura with Ultimaker S5

Posted · Any other slicer then Cura with Ultimaker S5

First let me say that Cura is a great program and I am not here to be negative towards Ultimaker/Cura.

We have an Ultimaker S5 for about a month now and printing with it is easy and the results are great.

But as a proper geek I wanted more.... So I tried to make the following slicing programs work (to test results like: Speed, Material used, Quality etc.)

• Simplify3D
  • Craftware
  • IceSL

But after slicing and storing the Gcode on a USB drive and trying to print the object the Ultimaker S5 said that there was something wrong with the Gcode file. This happened for all the above slicers.

So I tried to change the Gcode files to the style/flavor that Cura uses for the Ultimaker S5 which is "griffin" for what i know but still the same results.. 

Then I tried to use the header that was assigned for the Ultimaker 3:

Did not expect it to work so no surprise there haha..

So my question now is: Is it even possible to use a other slicer then Cura for the Ultimaker S5? and if yes which one and how?

Would love to hear stories from other users regarding this topic!

Keep in mind I am not a expert at all!

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...
    On 11/10/2018 at 10:37 PM, Carla_Birch said:

Simplify3D 4.1 that come out other day now supports the S5 and if needed I have working profiles for Simplify3D 4.01

Hello, can you tell me your experience with the S5 + S3D?

I was a fan of S3D, in the tinkering time, now i am all into the automatic workflow of Cura, but is miss some features, the speed and the interface of S3D.

I just downloaded the latest verzion, but already, i see that by default the mix up the extruders (left PVA + right PLA), not like it is standard used on the S5.

Many thanks, for your input 😉

S3D also has hardcoded headers for the g-codes that it generates, so pretty much all the remote monitoring of print-jobs (as well as the checking if you have the right material loaded, etc) will work poorly (if at all). 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, RudydG said:

Hello, can you tell me your experience with the S5 + S3D?

I was a fan of S3D, in the tinkering time, now i am all into the automatic workflow of Cura, but is miss some features, the speed and the interface of S3D.

I just downloaded the latest verzion, but already, i see that by default the mix up the extruders (left PVA + right PLA), not like it is standard used on the S5.

Many thanks, for your input 😉

I have personally been keeping to Cura with my S5, just seems to work better because it was designed for it. S3D feels a bit like a hacked up way to just get the basics working.

Why i do miss how supports work in S3D i have just leant to get use to using the support blocker in Cura.

Thank you people, just as i thought, S5 with Cura is the ideal no-nonsense combination. S3D is a very nice program, and i probably would use it over Cura with every non dedicated combination like ultimaker offers.

check out this thread, talks about it all

theres Cura but then there is simplify3D which is sick and is the best on the market. Intamsuite has one for BEGINNERS ONLY too. All personal preference..

https://visionminer.com/pages/software