Why Cura generate support though the my model wall?

sanguinaryangel

Posted · Why Cura generate support though the my model wall?

i am trying to print a bottle with overhang at about neck which need to generate support structures. but why cura generate support through my model just from build plate up to the overhang?like this

snap_screen_20181027122309.thumb.png.33b37c1a4151b4345e82a38f2f208471.png

i dont need those support inside the bottle. anyone who can help me to remove them?

i also attached the obj of my bottle. if anyone got suggestions?

pingshen.obj

1 minute ago, smartavionics said:

Does increasing the support overhang angle to something like 80 help?

it's already be set to 80 and still generate supports inside the bottle,overhang angle up to 82 as well, but generate none support when set to 83...

@smartavionics - isn't there some plugin that fixes normals?  I'm wondering if the normals are backwards on this cad file.

@sanguinaryangel - see if you can send your model through the free netfabb repair service.  I don't know if it will take obj files.  Also if you can convert your obj to stl and try that instead as a test.

I'm not saying STL files are better - I'm saying that maybe there is a support bug related to normals (normals tell cura which side of a wall is inside and which is outside and I've seen support features get very confused about angles maybe because of this).

1 minute ago, gr5 said:

@smartavionics - isn't there some plugin that fixes normals?  I'm wondering if the normals are backwards on this cad file.

Yes, Aldo's mesh tools plugin has an option to fix the model's normals. Not tried it yet.

Posted (edited) · Why Cura generate support though the my model wall?
    1 hour ago, gr5 said:

@sanguinaryangel - see if you can send your model through the free netfabb repair service.  I don't know if it will take obj files.  Also if you can convert your obj to stl and try that instead as a test.

I'm not saying STL files are better - I'm saying that maybe there is a support bug related to normals (normals tell cura which side of a wall is inside and which is outside and I've seen support features get very confused about angles maybe because of this).

stl file has already been tested but get the same confusions. and sld file as well. i ve also tested the custom support which still generate support though the bottle wall.so i m so confused if its a bug of cura. To get more testing ,i ve also tried Z-suite of Zortrax since i got one M200 printers.In Z-suite,custom edge support may generate proper support if point on the "edge" of the bottle neck but get the same as Cura did if point on closer surface of the neck.i wonder if i had explained correctly for my poor english.

1 hour ago, smartavionics said:

Yes, Aldo's mesh tools plugin has an option to fix the model's normals. Not tried it yet.

i have installed the mesh tools also. it warned that the model isnt watertight. But it seems that its not the major case that cause my problem.

if needed i can attach stl file.

Edited by sanguinaryangel

Look at your model in xray view.  If you see any red then that's the problem.

Also since it says your model isn't water tight then definitely run it through the free mesh repair service.  You have to create an account but it's free:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Phew - i think, @gr5 is right... Here is a screenshot from Meshmixer - every dot is an error in the mesh:

pingshen.thumb.png.bc2fa9cb88517d4ded264e8a20f9ece6.png

It would probably work regardless, but the main problem is that the transition between the body and the neck is not smooth. There are a lot of small triangles that stick out to the inside and Cura tries to support them. Simplify3D does the same btw.

I guess there is a small step between the two parts in your original model?

It's hard to see in a 2D view, i have selected a few:

pingshen2.thumb.png.0cfb662902a8f9626673d0543901353c.png

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

Look at your model in xray view.  If you see any red then that's the problem.

Also since it says your model isn't water tight then definitely run it through the free mesh repair service.  You have to create an account but it's free:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

2 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

Phew - i think, @gr5 is right... Here is a screenshot from Meshmixer - every dot is an error in the mesh:

pingshen.thumb.png.bc2fa9cb88517d4ded264e8a20f9ece6.png

It would probably work regardless, but the main problem is that the transition between the body and the neck is not smooth. There are a lot of small triangles that stick out to the inside and Cura tries to support them. Simplify3D does the same btw.

I guess there is a small step between the two parts in your original model?

It's hard to see in a 2D view, i have selected a few:

pingshen2.thumb.png.0cfb662902a8f9626673d0543901353c.png

thanks for all.i recheck the origin model and tried to convert it into stl files.in meshmixer, it doesn't show so much error in mesh like obj does.

snap_screen_20181028103613.thumb.png.aedd33391706c6c6045fbc918700e1d9.png

snap_screen_20181028103710.thumb.png.dcd4d3c6729a09c89001abf63acea9ee.png

but in Cura. them get the same annoying inside supports. meshmixer also generate those annoying supports but seems much better.i'll attach both of them. 

snap_screen_20181028103651.thumb.png.d74a28691828c7d2badec45b0e765827.png

this the custom support in Z-suite I said above. in Z-suite custom support it seems to be acceptable.

pingshen.stl

It looks like this model doesn't need any support anyway.  So you could just turn that off.