Ultimaker Firmware 5.1.7

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.1.7

Hi,

I updated my S5 firmware this morning and can no longer initiate any prints.  This problem occurs with both Cura Connect and by USB.  Please see these short videos demonstrating the problem.

https://youtu.be/JBMOnftKnEQ

https://youtu.be/AgLHio3XYRU

https://youtu.be/dBhvlkA3F0Y

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware in the meantime?  We have deadlines to meet and cannot afford to have our largest printer nonoperational.

Edited by schen

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.1.7
    2 hours ago, schen said:

Hi,

I updated my S5 firmware this morning and can no longer initiate any prints.  This problem occurs with both Cura Connect and by USB.  Please see these short videos demonstrating the problem.

https://youtu.be/JBMOnftKnEQ

https://youtu.be/AgLHio3XYRU

https://youtu.be/dBhvlkA3F0Y

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware in the meantime?  We have deadlines to meet and cannot afford to have our largest printer nonoperational.

Ugh... 

Having an S5 I remain very interested; please keep us updated.

Thank you 

4 hours ago, SandervG said:

Hi, we just launched a new firmware version for the Ultimaker S5. New firmware for the Ultimaker 3 will follow quickly. 

If you are curious about the release notes? Please follow this link

Thank you SandervG 

I just looked at the release notes and do not see the led turn off feature mentioned; you said it would be within this FW; was it simply not listed?

Takes care.

For now, I reverted to the "testing" firmware version 5.0.12.20180507 and everything is working again. 

I'd like to re-update to 5.1.7 once this issue has been addressed for the faster active leveling and new analytics page, but for now 5.0.12 will have to do ?

10 minutes ago, schen said:

For now, I reverted to the "testing" firmware version 5.0.12.20180507 and everything is working again. 

I'd like to re-update to 5.1.7 once this issue has been addressed for the faster active leveling and new analytics page, but for now 5.0.12 will have to do ?

Thank you for the information 

@schen I will look into your reported issues. You are living in a different time zone, so it will not be until tomorrow that I can report back to you (it is 22:00 hours here now).

I advice to use the last stable release v5.0.19. Version 5.0.12 isn't bad but there is a bug where log files will eventually eat up all memory until a reboot is executed. Lots of other small bugs were fixed as well in the stable v5.0.19 which you can download here. (download both the files ending with "tar.xz" and "tar.xz.sig" onto a usb stick)

5 minutes ago, CarloK said:

@schen I will look into your reported issues. You are living in a different time zone, so it will not be until tomorrow that I can report back to you (it is 22:00 hours here now).

I advice to use the last stable release v5.0.19. Version 5.0.12 isn't bad but there is a bug where log files will eventually eat up all memory until a reboot is executed. Lots of other small bugs were fixed as well in the stable v5.0.19 which you can download here. (download both the files ending with "tar.xz" and "tar.xz.sig" onto a usb stick)

Thank you @CarloK, I already have a print running for the next 5 hours and will use the files you linked to restore v5.0.19 once it is finished.

Edited by schen

Has someone else updated the firmware on S5 to the latest one successfully?

I am not sure if I am brave enough to try it ? 

Yes. Just did the firmware update on my demo machine. Worked flawlessly.

No risk no fun, I did it too ?

It is working, but the update got stuck the first time. Display showed please wait, do not turn off the printer and nothing happened. I remembered that I read in the release notes that there is a fix for something similar when doing the update via the "popup/notification" message or something like that. So after 20 minutes waiting I turned off the printer, on again and did the update via the menu ignoring the top right yellow icon informing me about an update. Then it was working.

I am not sure if my first try was related to the fix bug which is fixed in 5.1.7, but it was working and a print is already running with new firmware. 

The new auto leveling procedure begins now in the opposite direction (right back), probably because of one step isn't done now every time. If it is really quicker than before? I don't know, I haven't measured it, but in my opinion it doesn't matter, a good leveling is more important than a few saved seconds when usually doing prints with several hours.

I hope the new firmware for the UM3 will also be released soon and hope that the Cura Connect issues  are solved that I don't have to reset Cura Connect every few prints on my UM3.

Great to read “successful” 

I will install once this print is completed.

After reading some of the reports I inquired with our experts and I understood that if you use the pop-up notification there is a (small) chance that the firmware upload might stall. If you use the menu instead, there isn't. That may be counter-intuitive, but I would recommend to not use the notification but the menu instead. 

Good news is, this bug is fixed in the new firmware. But in order to benefit from this, you must install it first. (Via the menu.)

It can be found in the release notes, almost at the bottom:

• Fixed crash when initiating the firmware update from the notification popup

@Shadowman , it should be fixed indeed. The LED's bugfix was not listed among some other fixes because the full list would be too long to share. One bulletpoint saying '- And more general (smaller) bug fixes are implemented' should be added to the list. 

1 minute ago, SandervG said:

After reading some of the reports I inquired with our experts and I understood that if you use the pop-up notification there is a (small) chance that the firmware upload might stall. If you use the menu instead, there isn't. That may be counter-intuitive, but I would recommend to not use the notification but the menu instead. 

Good news is, this bug is fixed in the new firmware. But in order to benefit from this, you must install it first. (Via the menu.)

It can be found in the release notes, almost at the bottom:

• Fixed crash when initiating the firmware update from the notification popup

@Shadowman , it should be fixed indeed. The LED's bugfix was not listed among some other fixes because the full list would be too long to share. One bulletpoint saying '- And more general (smaller) bug fixes are implemented' should be added to the list. 

Good day SandervG and thank you 

4 hours ago, SandervG said:

The LED's bugfix was not listed among some other fixes because the full list would be too long to share.

Do you have an internal list of all fixed or changed things, you could share with the public/community?

Yep, of course we do have a complete list of changes but it isn't polished up for publication, i.e. many changes have a poor description and will raise more questions than they answer. Internally that isn't a problem since we can click a link to the full bug tracking system for more details, but that won't work without an Ultimaker account.

In my opinion the v5.1.7 release is a great step forward to an even more stable S5 machine. Just to give an impression on the number of (tiny) changes from 5.0.19 to 5.1.7:
    * The printer application had 199 tickets of which 110 marked as bug fixes.

* Cura Connect had 79 tickets of which 39 bug fixes.

Misleading here is that many bug fixes are fixes on other changes we made and that were never in an official release.

A few of the other note worthy bug fixes that didn't make it into the release notes:

- Fixed several problems where sometimes the filament retractions were off at the end of a print or when pausing; the filament was retracted too far or not far enough, causing problems in priming the next print.

- With Active Leveling the first layer was sometimes too thin. Other accuracy improvements were made as well.

- Fixed a tiny ooze blob at the end of a print where the print core was hovering too long on the object.

- Fixed a memory leak in the web service.

- And lots of other bugs that handle edge cases that happen rarely but will make the printer more stable (like starting an XY calibration with only 1 material now reports an error, better handling of internal errors, etc.)

But, looking at the whole list, my opinion is that Ultimaker shouldn't publish it in this form. Even for me, as one of the developers, it is a confusing long list.

• Thanks 1

@schen We failed to reproduce your problem. Did you save the log files by any chance? Which Cura version are you using?

3 minutes ago, CarloK said:

Yep, of course we do have a complete list of changes but it isn't polished up for publication, i.e. many changes have a poor description and will raise more questions than they answer. Internally that isn't a problem since we can click a link to the full bug tracking system for more details, but that won't work without an Ultimaker account.

In my opinion the v5.1.7 release is a great step forward to an even more stable S5 machine. Just to give an impression on the number of (tiny) changes from 5.0.19 to 5.1.7:
    * The printer application had 199 tickets of which 110 marked as bug fixes.

* Cura Connect had 79 tickets of which 39 bug fixes.

Misleading here is that many bug fixes are fixes on other changes we made and that were never in an official release.

A few of the other note worthy bug fixes that didn't make it into the release notes:

- Fixed several problems where sometimes the filament retractions were off at the end of a print or when pausing; the filament was retracted too far or not far enough, causing problems in priming the next print.

- With Active Leveling the first layer was sometimes too thin. Other accuracy improvements were made as well.

- Fixed a tiny ooze blob at the end of a print where the print core was hovering too long on the object.

- Fixed a memory leak in the web service.

- And lots of other bugs that handle edge cases that happen rarely but will make the printer more stable (like starting an XY calibration with only 1 material now reports an error, better handling of internal errors, etc.)

But, looking at the whole list, my opinion is that Ultimaker shouldn't publish it in this form. Even for me, as one of the developers, it is a confusing long list.

Even without a detailed list, your time spent explaining as you did is appreciated.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, CarloK said:

Fixed a tiny ooze blob at the end of a print where the print core was hovering too long on the object.

Thanks a lot CarloK for your explaination and I am happy that the above issue is fixed ?

There is new behaviour with this version. When I paused the print to clean the carbon off the PVA nozzle it released a long thread of material when resuming instead of a clean continuation as before.

LongThreadAfterPause1.thumb.jpg.f112c1632c72b950dd1ddb924fe0d5e7.jpg

LongThreadAfterPause2.thumb.jpg.7d9dabff48a155481c154a52d0c1aff9.jpg

This is something I was able to capture this time, but it has happened before after updating to this firmware release. That is why I had the camera ready this time.

Edited by kmanstudios

On 11/1/2018 at 7:05 AM, SandervG said:

Hi SandervG

I loaded the new S5 firmware and here are my comments as posted in another thread.

”Ok; I just installed the latest firmware in the S5 and the leds remain “on” even when there is nothing printing.

They seem to act exactly as they did prior to the firmware update.

While printing the leds are bright relative to the intensity setting you select using the slider. I have the pulse when the print feature turned off and the light to turn off when not printing selected and yet ..... once the print stops the leds continue to glow albeit dimmer than during the printing.”

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

19 hours ago, CarloK said:

@schen We failed to reproduce your problem. Did you save the log files by any chance? Which Cura version are you using?

I did not save the log files when the problem first occurred, but I just re-updated to 5.1.7 and was able to reproduce the same problem.  Attached are the files generating by saving the log files to USB from a few minutes ago after attempting to start a print and encountering the same issue.

schen's Ultimaker-S5 log files.zip

@schen Thanks for taking the effort to reproduce the problem, this is really appreciated. I can now see 'what' goes wrong: you are using a custom created material and this info is missing from the printer.

Understanding as to 'why' it goes wrong and why we didn't find this bug ourselves will take a bit more time but we are looking into it.

I'm afraid there isn't going to be an easy workaround but will post an update here in a couple of days.

So, I go to load material with the new firmware and a new AA core. It tells me that the X/Y calibration needs to be done. And then the lights start pulsing. Why because this thing is a real nag when it comes to the material options. When I am in an operation such as changing materials, or nozzle calibration or just sitting there whilst preparing a new print, it just starts nagging, nagging, nagging and giving me headaches because of the pulsing lights. This alone is enough to make me want to stop using Cura Connect.

1. If I am in an operation such as cleaning nozzles, calibrating offsets, etc., it should not be nagging me.
    2. If I hit the ok button and go to do work, it should not come back on and nag me. Or, do you think once is not enough?
    3. The pulsing lights bug me badly. That and putting the printer in unavailable mode just turns the lights off making life difficult when trying to do maintenance

None of this makes sense. And really, just because someone decided to make it so, and without options for the user is really not an excuse. The pulsing lights really cause issues with my eyes.

The lack of lights when trying to do maintenance is really illogical.

Lack of options for the users is even more so.

But seriously, when I hit the damned button to agree to change materials, it should not keep coming back on me. Or, does Team UM think I would not notice when I go to print from the queue and it is telling me to change or override?

@schen The problem with custom materials not being printed was found. A firmware patch release is expected in about a week and will have version 5.1.8