Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
SandervG

Ultimaker Firmware 5.1.7

14 hours ago, Shadowman said:

How about the ability to turn the lights off too. This was promised with the last firmware.

This fix will be in the 5.2 release, expected February 2019.

The patch release was not foreseen and is an unplanned release to fix a blocking problem. I'm pushing hard to get the led fix in this patch release as well but it's not my call. There are good reasons for keeping the changes to this stable version as small as possible.

The led bug fix is tiny, and when feeling brave you can make the fix on your v5.0 or v5.1 firmware:

- Edit the file  /usr/share/griffin/griffin/led/hardware/drivers/linuxLEDClass.py

- The second line from the bottom reads:

brightness = str(int(max(1.0, value * float(self._max_brightness)))).encode("ascii")

- Change the 1.0 to 0.0

- That's it.

I purposely didn't describe how to edit a file on the printer. If you don't know how to do this already, then you better not risk breaking the firmware.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, CarloK said:

This fix will be in the 5.2 release, expected February 2019.

The patch release was not foreseen and is an unplanned release to fix a blocking problem. I'm pushing hard to get the led fix in this patch release as well but it's not my call. There are good reasons for keeping the changes to this stable version as small as possible.

The led bug fix is tiny, and when feeling brave you can make the fix on your v5.0 or v5.1 firmware:

- Edit the file  /usr/share/griffin/griffin/led/hardware/drivers/linuxLEDClass.py

- The second line from the bottom reads:

brightness = str(int(max(1.0, value * float(self._max_brightness)))).encode("ascii")

- Change the 1.0 to 0.0

- That's it.

I purposely didn't describe how to edit a file on the printer. If you don't know how to do this already, then you better not risk breaking the firmware.

Good day

I appreciate the information and the means to do so. Furthermore, I understand the teams reluctance to make non-critical incremental changes but rather incorporate it within a fully tested release.

For this moment I will await the tested firmware expected in February.

Takes care and thank you.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:08 AM, kmanstudios said:

There is new behaviour with this version. When I paused the print to clean the carbon off the PVA nozzle it released a long thread of material when resuming instead of a clean continuation as before.

Thanks for reporting this problem, including the photo's. We tried many times to fix the problems in tracking the filament position on abort / pause / filament changing but apparently still haven't got it right. We made it a top priority to redesign this part of the printer. Since it is at the basis of the machine and touches all functions it might be released as small increments over several releases.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:14 AM, kmanstudios said:

So, I go to load material with the new firmware and a new AA core. It tells me that the X/Y calibration needs to be done. And then the lights start pulsing. Why because this thing is a real nag when it comes to the material options. When I am in an operation such as changing materials, or nozzle calibration or just sitting there whilst preparing a new print, it just starts nagging, nagging, nagging and giving me headaches because of the pulsing lights. This alone is enough to make me want to stop using Cura Connect.

1. If I am in an operation such as cleaning nozzles, calibrating offsets, etc., it should not be nagging me.
  2. If I hit the ok button and go to do work, it should not come back on and nag me. Or, do you think once is not enough?
  3. The pulsing lights bug me badly. That and putting the printer in unavailable mode just turns the lights off making life difficult when trying to do maintenance

None of this makes sense. And really, just because someone decided to make it so, and without options for the user is really not an excuse. The pulsing lights really cause issues with my eyes.

The lack of lights when trying to do maintenance is really illogical.

Lack of options for the users is even more so.

But seriously, when I hit the damned button to agree to change materials, it should not keep coming back on me. Or, does Team UM think I would not notice when I go to print from the queue and it is telling me to change or override?

Sorry to hear the printer is troubling you here. I don't follow you in all mentioned problems, but If understand you correctly these are:

1) When doing maintenance you want the lights to be on. That makes sense. Not sure yet if all menu actions should result in the lights going on though.

2) When you are manually working on the printer (menu), then Cura Connect shouldn't try to intervene. Best to keep quiet until 1 minute no user action.

1 hour ago, CarloK said:

1) When doing maintenance you want the lights to be on. That makes sense. Not sure yet if all menu actions should result in the lights going on though.

I will try to be more clear:

When I put the printer into unavailable mode,. the lights go out and I have no control over them. That creates an issue with using 'unavailable; to stop prints going through while doing maintenance. Crazy things like cleaning nozzles, doing hot or cold pulls, etc. Basically, 'unavailable' should stop prints from going through, but not interfere with any other machine functions. Since I cannot see what I am doing, I have not tried any other machine functions, so I have no idea what else may be messed with.

1 hour ago, CarloK said:

2) When you are manually working on the printer (menu), then Cura Connect shouldn't try to intervene. Best to keep quiet until 1 minute no user action.

I do not quite follow this. What I was trying to say is that if I acknowledge the need to change materials or nozzles (The pulsing lights warning to do so), it should stay off and not constantly nag me. It does not do this on the UM3E machines. So, basically:

1. Warning

2. Acknowledgement

3. No more warnings.

The one minute timeout you mentioned would not be really helpful if doing a lot of things like cleaning under buildplates, a series of hot pulls and cleaning nozzles, etc that do not require a lot of menu actions.

This is how it behaves with the UM3E machines I have.

I hope I clarified this...let me know if I bungled it up a bit more.

Edited by kmanstudios

I'm new to the group.  Just received my S5, and ran my first print.  The first thing I noticed was the LED lights lit up my room.  Updated the firmware and they are now dim... but would like them to turn off.  This unit sits in my home office, at the front of my home.  Lights up the entire room.  Checked on how to do this on this forum... and see its a known issue.  I'll continue to follow this, with the hopes that this does get resolved soon. Seems like a simple code fix... but then again, I'm a mechanical guy and not an EE. :-)  Hopefully the pros over at Ultimaker can figure this out.  Mechanically this unit is simple to use, elegant, and makes superb parts.  So, just following to follow this thread!  Cheers everyone.