Led off function on Ultimaker S5? (and 3)

RudydG

Posted · Led off function on Ultimaker S5? (and 3)

I am planning the purchase of this new printer, but is surely hope that there is an led-off function? It would be rediculous not having this. The room where the printer will be standing will be lit for several days?

I have a UM3 at the office, and have a lot of issues regarding the lights always on with security and fellow-workers.

Posted (edited) · Led off function on Ultimaker S5? (and 3)

You could always disable the leds on an UM3 since a firmware version around 3.7.7 or even before. The latest firmware version of the S5 5.1.7 also lets you disable the leds completely. (edited 06.11.2018, see also later post)

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

No, only the display changes to the current view. There is no timeout or similar for the leds in the S5 firmware.

A good practice (for me) is to have the LEDs off when printer is not printing. During a print I like the LEDs to check the print from time to time. But depends on your needs.

I discussed this long ago with Ultimaker and as recently as yesterday SandervG shared that the led off feature “was” included in the lastest S5 firmware.

I have not loaded it yet so unable to confirm.

Those that have loaded the latest S5 firmware please share your findings.

Are these Guys from another planet? It should be a basic feature!!!

Which feature are you missing?

You can have the LEDs always on, you can have the LEDs always off and can have the LEDs on during printing and off when in idle mode.

34 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Which feature are you missing?

You can have the LEDs always on, you can have the LEDs always off and can have the LEDs on during printing and off when in idle mode.

Have you confirmed that these lighting  options are available on the S5 with the latest firmware? I think they have always been a feature on the 3 and as I recall; you have both.

I ask because you could not have the leds completely off before unless you turned the printer off at the switch.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

Ok; I just installed the latest firmware in the S5 and the leds remain “on” even when there is nothing printing.

They seem to act exactly as they did prior to the firmware update.

While printing the leds are bright relative to the intensity setting you select using the slider. I have the pulse when the print feature turned off and the light to turn off when not printing selected and yet ..... once the print stops the leds continue to glow albeit dimmer than during the printing.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

No, sorry, I have two mega prints running and could not check it yet.

Ok, so after your test it seems nothing has changed and the LEDs are still just dimmed instead of off? Then it was not fixed or not fixed in the right way.

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

No, sorry, I have two mega prints running and could not check it yet.

Ok, so after your test it seems nothing has changed and the LEDs are still just dimmed instead of off? Then it was not fixed or not fixed in the right way.

Correct.... nothing appears to have changed.

Yep frame light settings are still the same and can only dim.

Ridiculous....... it is 

Now we know why it is not listed in the release notes ? 

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Now we know why it is not listed in the release notes ? 

Yes, however, well prior to the firmware release and then after the firmware release SandervG told me that it was.

This a big deal for me as such I am fricken disappointed...... followed by; in my opinion; it is “unbelievable”.

Yes I know and I can understand your disappointment.

For me personal it's not a big deal, I like the dimmed ambiance light, but in energy saving point of view, it should be off as it is on the UM3. 

BTW: I am curious to see how the LED behavior on the UM3 will be after the firmware update that should come soon. As far as I know the firmware is nearly the same between S5 and UM3. Maybe there is a new feature in the release notes : dimmed light ? 

On 11/2/2018 at 9:02 AM, Dim3nsioneer said:

The latest firmware version of the S5 5.1.7 also lets you disable the leds completely.

That was wrong information, sorry. It still goes only to a minimum. It looked different in the light situation at that time. But afaik it is planned to implement a complete switch-off into the S5 firmware.

They got to be kidding, for a machine of his pricelevel, we can expect at least a intelligent lighting situation, dimming to 0 after x time, auto on a touch of the screen, AND, auto on when accessing the camera. I think this must be about 1 hour of programming work.

Again, at my office have problems with the night guard / security, and even co-workers, who don't understand that these lights are on day and night!

Edited by RudydG

1 hour ago, RudydG said:

They got to be kidding, for a machine of his pricelevel, we can expect at least a intelligent lighting situation, dimming to 0 after x time, auto on a touch of the screen, AND, auto on when accessing the camera. I think this must be about 1 hour of programming work.

Again, at my office have problems with the night guard / security, and even co-workers, who don't understand that these lights are on day and night!

Ditto 

Super disappointed to read this guys.

Mine lives in my garage and even at lowest light lights the whole thing up so that anybody can see from the outside that there is something going on in there.

Ultimaker - you need to get the details right!

I think they either fail to grasp what customers expect at this price point or just do not care.  Either way it's extremely disappointing.

I will not even buy i it before they implement this feature.

4 minutes ago, RudydG said:

I will not even buy i it before they implement this feature.

You have the power as well as others considering such a purchase.

I am glad that you made your position known.

Takes care