Now available: Ultimaker Cura 3.6 | Stable

Guest maht

Posted · Now available: Ultimaker Cura 3.6 | Stable

The "Print Object as Support" is not working. What it does is fail to confine support to the boundary of the "print as Support Object.'

In the first image, I had the 'Custom Support' installed.

Second image, I uninstalled it to see if that made a difference.

Third image is a previous version that had consistent behaviour from inception until this version, in which is misbehaves.

This is changed behaviour for that. Below is a series of images I made to illustrate this as well as how it behaved in a previous version.

SupportObjectNotWorking.thumb.jpg.7f8bf0b0db7107f5c3e6b2f488dd58fc.jpg

On 11/18/2018 at 3:11 PM, 7s7 said:

Thank you, I will test and see

Steve

Hi,

Have run a couple of prints and the issue has gone, no excess memory usage.

Thanks

Steve

11 minutes ago, 7s7 said:

Have run a couple of prints and the issue has gone, no excess memory usage.

Did you test with or without the camera image displaying?

7 hours ago, ahoeben said:

And did you also test with the camera, with this new version?

No Sorry will do when I get home from work this afternoon.

11 hours ago, 7s7 said:

No Sorry will do when I get home from work this afternoon.

Just  got home from work to check what the memory usage would be like if i enabled the camera and found that the memory usage had already increased to 1.4Gbyte.

I was printing last night and the filament sensor tripped so the print paused. I just turned off the printer but Cura was still monitoring the print as a paused print. Aborted the print through Cura the memory usage is still going up but very slowly.

When using the Camera the memory usage was going up very fast up to 8gig in about 1/2Hr.

It still seems to be related with the monitoring of the print.

A useful tool for Cura would be a floating (point A to Z, horizontal and vertical) measurement tool.  Sure, at the base, you can easily guess what the distance is by the 10mm squares, but above the base, there's not a current way to determine a length or height from point to point.

• Like 1

Printing multiple objects one at a time doesn't seem to be working as it should, or at least as it did.

As you can see in the image, the "shadow" for the print head is way larger than it used to be. This means I can only print three of these objects where I used to be able to easily print nine of them (the last few versions of Cura did require some manual adjustments since prints did get hit when using the spacing set by Cura). 

I have this problem with UM2, UMO and UMO+. It seemed to me the print head is set way to big, but the settings are realistic. Is there some setting available that lets me change the safety margin?

One at a time.jpg

On 11/22/2018 at 11:34 AM, DDDmaker said:

A useful tool for Cura would be a floating (point A to Z, horizontal and vertical) measurement tool.  Sure, at the base, you can easily guess what the distance is by the 10mm squares, but above the base, there's not a current way to determine a length or height from point to point.

Is that not what the modeling program is for?

Posted (edited) · Now available: Ultimaker Cura 3.6 | Stable
    50 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Is that not what the modeling program is for?

That is not sufficient. Sometimes all you have is the STL file. 

(And yes, I know that you could import it into the modeling program, but it would be better to be able to measure distances within Cura. This would also be helpful in case you scale a model.)

Edited by leliep

2 hours ago, Verne64 said:

Printing multiple objects one at a time doesn't seem to be working as it should, or at least as it did.

This has been fixed for the next release.

3 hours ago, leliep said:

That is not sufficient.

I would completely disagree. There are tons of free programs that do this.

Basically, I do not feel that Cura should cross into that territory and should just focus on being a very, very robust slicer. Adding modeling program features would just muddy the waters quite a bit.

• Like 1

For versions 3.5 and 3.6, I found a bug, which was fatal to me. You should understand it if you look at the picture, and you will fix it ?

3~90~SQX~A((T069GU3SWZT.png

I~G@Y4JTO4$2N(F3CIJ{_L0.png

13 hours ago, Verne64 said:

>As you can see in the image, the "shadow" for the print head is way larger than it used to be.

I have exactly the same problem--very frustrating.  I thought maybe it was some new 'feature' and spent a lot of time trying to figure it out but it looks like it is indeed a bug.  I hope the fix version comes out soon since 3.6 is only usable for single objects as is.

I have come across a strange bug/problem with 3.6. Most of my sliced gcodes that I run from a SD card seem to get stuck on Z 0.3. The printer does not do Z hopping although I have it enabled and after the first layer it just keeps printing next layers without moving the Z-axis at all, making the extruder knock like crazy trying to extrude into the previous layer. The printer display says Z 0.3 the whole time. 3.5.1 did not produce such a problem ever, and I tried going back to 3.5.1 yesterday and immediately got normally and succesfully printing gcode files with basically identical settings.

I would have loved 3.6 with gyroid infill, but at the moment the update totally broke my printing. I have tried changing my printer Z acceleration and feedrates, but nothing makes any difference.

I'm using repetier 0.91 on a Tronxy X1.

Hello @Teemutus, please save the project file from 3.6 and attach to this thread (or create a new thread) so I can check your settings, etc.

21 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

I would completely disagree. There are tons of free programs that do this.

Basically, I do not feel that Cura should cross into that territory and should just focus on being a very, very robust slicer. Adding modeling program features would just muddy the waters quite a bit.

I agree with this. CURA should focus on being a very good slicer and not try to cross into modeling territory.

Posted (edited) · Now available: Ultimaker Cura 3.6 | Stable
    On 11/15/2018 at 6:00 PM, leliep said:

[...] On my 2018 MacBook Pro it takes about 2...3 minutes to start up, using 100% CPU. During this time it displays "updating configuration", before it eventually shows the GUI and becomes responsible. This behavior is reproducible. I guess Cura 3.6 needs some kind of serious tuning 😉

Something is amiss. My 2014 MacBook Air running MacOS 10.14.1 launches Cura 3.6.0 in about 14-22 seconds from click to movable mouse. It's reasonably responsive to interactive use. CPU utilization will spike to 60% doing some actions, but it's definitely usable. I did a fresh install, wiping all prior data when installing 3.5.1.

hgrSbZ7.png

Edited by bobstro

DDDMaker had the best idea for a feature.  That there be a A to Z measurement tool.  I am designing a base with a spot to place a horseshoe.  I need to measure from the bottom of the horseshoe to the top.  Not the whole base, but just the horseshoe part.  If I was able to measure just the horseshoe, I could create one drawing and scale to the different sizes I need with minimal effort.  Makes getting the math of percentage increase scaling and decrease scaling wrong gone.  I just say, from this point of A to this point of Z make it XX millimeters long, and then the rest of the model would re-scale to it.   As it is now, I am having to make 10 different models to fit the different sizes.  They are exactly the same, just scaled differently. 

@johnEclark65 What you describe is best done in a modeling program, scaling only part of a mesh requires many calculations and that's not what CURA is for. You're not supposed to be modeling anything in CURA.

Besides, there is the 'Scale' menu in CURA that allows you to scale your models either along all three axis or just one or two, depending if you check or uncheck the 'Uniform Scaling' option, and you can set it either by percentage of the original size or give it a precise size by entering the length in millimeters yourself.

If you know that the horseshoer is 5 millimeters thick in the original, and you cant it to be 10 millimeters thick, then that's a 200% increase along the Z axis, for example. The calculations aren't very difficult.

• Like 1

I am curious as to why people would want to garbage up a slicer into a hybrid of slicing and modeling?

Follow if you will:

1. If this were introduced, it would need a complete reworking of things and it would require learning new things
    2. If you get a free modeling program, you have to learn new things
    3. If you have to learn new things, why not really learn to do things properly in the various programs that are geared towards a specific end
    4. Over-complicating a slicer could and would probably stifle its abilities and retard advancements since resources would be split
    5. If all you want to do is print things other people have designed and made, then a slicer is all you need
    6. If you want to design things, a modeling program will give you all you need

So, why the reluctance to learn a modeling program? They are not all hard to work with. Some are really complex. Some, not so much so. Find the one that suits your level of needs and abilities.

One also has to look at the current state of release cycles and see that it is a very difficult task to program just the slicer. Why make it worse?

And, Kinda wonder why all slicers do not do other things than slice....maybe the people programing them all see an issue with dirtying up the actual purpose of the software?

Also, take a lesson of things from the past. MWord made a lousy page layout program, Illustrator made for a lousy bitmap manipulator, Photoshop made a lousy video editor. The list goes on.

• Like 2

It is not modeling that is wanted.  it is scaling feature by measurements and not just to X, Y, Z or %.  I have made the model in Fusion 360.  I just don't want to have to create 10 to 15 different models for every size horseshoe I get, only have have to tweak them for each print, and reprint them.  One, real life, horse shoe that I insert into the print is 91mm tall, another one may be 92mm tall, one might be 25mm tall. All different sizes, but the same shape.   I would like the ability to scale an a to z point, so if I say, from point A to point Z make 85mm, then the whole piece will scale accordingly.  The points on the print are arbitrary. It is just marker points.  They have no meaning other than to place an anchor point here.  Just a place anchor point A here, place another anchor point Z here, and scale it to make the two points XXmm long.  This is just a finer scaling than what is given, X,Y,Z scaling and % scaling is the same thing, only this scaling is pin point scaling.

• Like 1

I upgraded from 3.5, but now I can't open Cura 3.6 no matter how long I wait.  I tried reinstalling - no luck.  I tried removing and reinstalling 3.5, but now I can't run that either.  I then downgraded to 3.4.1, and that worked.  I then tried reinstalling 3.6, but it still would not open.  Now, I have to use a version (3.4.1) that is older than my orevious version (3.5).  The worst part is that I did the upgrade only to stop the nagging message that comes up every time one opens up an obsolete version of Cura (there should be a way to disable that warning. 

7 hours ago, johnEclark65 said:

It is not modeling that is wanted.  it is scaling feature by measurements and not just to X, Y, Z or %.

That IS modeling. Not slicing. Again, get a program that is made for this and can work in a more efficient way. Crazy stuff like independent world and object spaces.

I honestly think that until you have some real experience with what you are asking a program to do, and you will not get it as long as you refuse to actually see the difference in what you are asking i.e. using a modeling program, this will never be a productive conversation. You refuse to accept information from a group of people that have a lot of experience in what you are asking, and them telling you that modeling programs are the way to go with this.

so, stick with your insistence if you like. It is not really a good idea. It is far more complicated than you think. And when it is said and done, Cura Devs are working hard to make a solid slicer, not a halfassed hybrid. I believe that a solid slicer should be all they focus on.

• Like 3