Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Daniel_ouf

Print Head re-assembly

I had a bad print go all day and came home to find a large blob of nylon melted all around my AA print core, partially onto the BB.  So much to the extent that the fan hinged down pulling out one of the wires.  I have had a few successful prints, in the month I've owned my UM3+, however this is the second time this has happened.  First time was ABS (using original glue stick) with default ABS settings. 

This failed print (2nd time print core disaster) setting was default for Nylon (previous successful nylon prints I ran core temperature +15); I deduce is too cold since the lines apparently did not bond to one another, being a cold bond.

I have undergone removing the nylon with a heat gun, having the print core lock tabs getting heat distortion now as well as the inside of the off-white assembly head.  My brand new printer is not new anymore! 

1.  Does this occur often?  

2.  ***Most importantly, is there an assembly manual available to ensure I re-assemble the print head assembly correctly?***

Thanks!

Edited by Daniel_ouf

DId the nylon print come unstuck from the bed or did the part just have bad layer adhesion and break apart? Ultimaker Nylon normally has a really strong layer adhesion on default profiles without any temp changes or enclosing the printer. I do use the front door though just to keep drafts out. The only time I have had bad layer adhesion is when the nylon has absorbed too much moisture and requires drying. You can hear small crackles and pops when it's printing and the print is very milky (if natural Nylon).

You need to be very careful with the heat gun as some heat guns can heat up too hot and damage the printer parts. 

I would contact your reseller as you may be able to get a replacement core for free if its a UM one and damaged due to the flooded head. It would be good for them to know for reporting frequencies of this problem occurring and if you require replacement parts they may be covered.

Not sure of if there is a head assembly manual but there is a bit of a front door guide Here

I am waiting on Matterhackers to see what their communication with Ultimaker results in.  The most upsetting part is the malfunction occurred using the default settings.   

I still need assembly instructions and cannot find them anywhere.  If anyone knows please advise thanks!

Thanks.  I found this, which answered my question regarding the (3) plastic parts, spring and metal sleeve.  It's in another language but I was able to see how it all goes back together!  If Matterhackers provides a manual for the complete re-assembly I will share it here.