emblem to 3D printable model

Posted · emblem to 3D printable model

Well, checked progress before heading out to work and it looks great. I don't know what the issue was on the first one but may be I should have left it go till complete, maybe it was really ok. Any way it was at the 7 hour mark and it looks great. I will send a photo when I get home. So, can you walk me thru the process to convert 2D to 3D. I have another metal detecting "patch" I would like to convert. Would it be easier if we communicated thru e-mail? I don't want to take up space on the board unless it can help others.

Thank You again for the help so far.

28 minutes ago, ctdigger said:

So, can you walk me thru the process to convert 2D to 3D.

This is the process.

Just go to open file, choose the image you modify and play with the settings. I have used it many times.

That is in Cura. But you have to play with it a bit just to get the idea of transforming the PNG into 3D. Then there is the aspect of a graphics program to take the colours your emblems are made of and make a clean version.

And, then again, many people suggested a variety of ways to do it with other programs.

It depends a lot on your program of choice.

32 minutes ago, ctdigger said:

I don't want to take up space on the board unless it can help others.

Sharing the info for others is better. Especially with all the input you can gather from others depending on the software of choice.

Ok, so I get my Jpg photo, download it to Cura, then open that file?

What do you suggest as a program to take the colors of the emblem and clean them? (remove the colors?) Is Tinkercad ok to use?

I know, I should be working not messing around on the computer, it's slow.

Tinkercad isn't a photo manipulation program. You can use Inkscape for that, I gave you a method on a previous message with a link to a video that shows and explains it all. It's a quick and easy solution that takes less than 2 minutes to turn your JPG into a 3D file that you can then print using Inkscape and Blender, both are free programs.

I would not use a JPG. It is lossy compression and can produce bad details. The PNG format is lossless compression and will not lose detail.

I would search for free graphics programs to see what may appeal to you.

Blender can be a bit of a pain to learn, so be aware of that.

But, you will need something to be able to clean your mesh if it creates a square border like the first file I sent you. Or just scale the heck out of it.

The end product. THANK YOU!!!   Kmanstudios for making this happen. Now for the "student" to try his hand. I will certainly let you how it's going.

image.png

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

You are welcome and good luck 🙂

14 hours ago, Brulti said:

Tinkercad isn't a photo manipulation program. You can use Inkscape for that, I gave you a method on a previous message with a link to a video that shows and explains it all. It's a quick and easy solution that takes less than 2 minutes to turn your JPG into a 3D file that you can then print using Inkscape and Blender, both are free programs.

It seems Inkscape has an issue loading on my Mac, have tried several times but it just stalls about halfway thru the download.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, Brulti said:

is there another app besides inkscape I could try??

Thanks

I have no idea. The inkscape method works for me, it's strange that inkscape doesn't download on your mac.

1 hour ago, ctdigger said:

is there another app besides inkscape I could try??

Search for photo painting programs and vector based programs. If I may conjecture the suggestion of inkscape, @Brulti can confirm, is that it is vector based and most vectors can be imported into a 3D program and then extruded into a 3D model. Or, maybe it is a more far reaching reason?

For instance, gimp is a free photo manipulation/painting program like photoshop. Dunno what platforms it works on though.

I have not looked at free vector based programs in a loooooong time though.

And, if I remember correctly, you can actually get a really old, legitimate version of some main programs for free. Things need to be looked at before going to a website due to the growing concern of 'bad' websites. These should be put out by the companies themselves.

14 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Search for photo painting programs and vector based programs. If I may conjecture the suggestion of inkscape, @Brulti can confirm, is that it is vector based and most vectors can be imported into a 3D program and then extruded into a 3D model. Or, maybe it is a more far reaching reason?

You got it right. Inkscape converts mostly any picture format into an svg file, which is a vector based format, that you can then import on any 3D modeling program and turn into a mesh, thus allowing you to manipulate them, then export as an stl for printing.

Being a windows user, I have no idea what program on macs are able to do the conversion to svg, but I'm sure there are programs that can do so.

There are also online image converters to convert an image to a svg file. Just google for image convert svg and you get a bunch of such services.

• Like 1

I have checked my history, here it is : https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-svg

On 12/6/2018 at 3:00 PM, Smithy said:
    On 12/6/2018 at 3:00 PM, Smithy said:

I have checked my history, here it is : https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-svg

I am trying to print a model of a hot rod from Tinkercad and my printer keeps doing this. I have brand new Borosilicate glass, cleaned. My nozzle temp is 200, bed is 69. I have leveled the bed several times with no changes. At a loss. Anybody have a fix??? Thanks

ctdigger

Smithy, thanks I will check it out.

ctdigger