Ultimaker assembly with second extruder

Posted · Ultimaker assembly with second extruder

Well, I am happy to say I just ordered my Ultimaker printer, the controller and the second extruder kit (pre sale). After reading for many months and many questions and answers...I finally did it.

Now I see the directions for the assembly and my coworker and I are excited to get building! What I would like to know is if the assembly wiki documents has been altered for a first time build adding the second extruder (versus build, take apart, add new component)

Thanks!!

Paul

Hi Paul, congratulations, welcome to the community! :)

The regular build instructions are meant for single extrusion.

If you have the time and patience, i would recommend to get familiar with single extrusion first as this

will give you better results at start and it is the basic set up you will get familiar with.

Once you get the hang of it and you know your way around Cura, i would add the dual extrusion.

The downside is, that it requires some patience (but single extrusion is no less fun, especially in the beginning i must add), and it would mean you have to take the print head apart again to install dual extrusion.

It may not be the most convenient path to follow, but i think it will be the most motivating and rewarding path.

Of course, it is totally up to you :) In any way I/we are available for guidance.

That thought crossed my mind, since the addition of a second extruder, and using it, is extremely new to everyone

I know there are many threads to scroll through....and I intend to check them out...I think there were a few part (screws) changes people made for better results. Especially dealing with the limit switches? I will have to dig some more.

But if other Ultimaker owners can chime in suggestion on this upcoming build, I would appreciate it :cool:

Another question...

I've been reading thru the instructions in ancipation of receivingh my kit soon.

One area I am unclear about...the software install. I ordered the Ulti Controller options and just downloaded Cura. I see the opening wizard wants to connect with the printer as well as asking me about firmware. When I refer to the wiki instructions, it seems to skip past this and straight to doing the first print.

Do I need to connect to the printer from the computer for the setup process?

plug in your ultimaker with usb to your computer. turn on your ultimaker !

install cura... then start cura and that will ask you to update the firmware for your ultimaker. cura will send the latest version onto your ultimaker.. then finished.. go through the start setup with cura and you should be ready for hours, days and months of fun...Ian :smile:

Ian,

Even if I have the Ulticontroller ?

Yes... the initial connection to the computer and Cura can be used to check out some basic assembly issues, and is the simplest way to load up the latest firmware onto the printer.

Once you've done it the first time, then you can print from the SD card without needing a computer connection. (Except when it's time to install a new firmware).

Ian,

Even if I have the Ulticontroller ?

Thank you, that makes a bit more sense to me now

p.s. Got my DHL tracking number :mrgreen:

I already plan to paint it, per the instructions in the Wiki

Would you suggest replacing the screws, as mentioned a few posts prior?

why do you need to replace screws ?

about painting.. great idea but dont paint too thick !! it will drive you crazy trying to put every thing together !! thin and fine and every thing will look great and go... click !

Ian :-)

I 'always' use spraypaint, works very fast and is dry at the blink of an eye.

i used good old wood blue paint... was great fun painting and looked fantastic... and was even better fun trying to assemble ! ;-) LOL

I plan to use the diluted recipe mentioned in the wiki with my airbrush

Of course, it has to be R2-D2 blue to match my full-sized R2-D2

And R2 has a few thoughts on the Ultimaker sounding like him! :)

Wow. Ordered on Friday afternoon (USA - East Coast time) and I ust got a DHL email saying they will be by to deliver Wednesday. That's really impressive shipping...getting anxious!

Question:

Unfortunately I cannot build my dual extrusion kit (some parts are definetely missing).

When going through the manual at the wiki I came across the following section, when connecting the temperature cables to the circuit boards at the printhead.

4. Now you can also connect the temperature cables to the amplifier circuit boards on the print head. The one with the yellow/red/black wires needs to be placed in the front one and the cable with the green/orange/brown wires need to be placed in the amplifier circuit board at the back of the print head.

I only have a single temperature cable (I have a Ultimaker version 2 and this cable is actually green/red/black). I have the feeling that the second temperature cable is missing in my kit as I cannot find it anywhere in my package. Can anyone please confirm that there need to be two connectors and cables for the printhead temperature cables. Maybe these cables were included in the Ultimaker 4 revisions but not in Ultimaker 2 . I cannot find anything about that in the manual and also the photos for the kit do not show any cables/connectors..

Thanks in advance,

greengecko

Greengecko, I'd submit a support ticket for a quicker response

I did that as well. I just wanted to know if someone can confirm that there is a cable with two connectors that comes with the newer kits.

Thanks for the hint,

Bernd

Hi Greengecko,

I have just read your post + support ticket, and i can confirm you indeed need a signal cable with 2 temperature cables, 3 connectors in total. (also 1 for the fan).

I do know that it was also already included in rev3, not sure about rev 2.

Anyway, i will sent you a new one, which will hopefully arrive within a day or 2.

Have a nice day!

. I definitely can confirm that there is only one connector (+1 fan) for rev 2.

One or two days to Australia would be a record. More likely a week unfortunately... :-(

Thanks for the quick response.

Btw also 2 white threaded spacer are missing for rev 2 as rev two had only black unthreaded spacer to fix the circuit boards on the print head. Therefore it is not possible to fix them as described in the wiki and they cannot be easily removed because the bolts cannot be reached once the top plate of the print head has been mounted.

My kit arrived yesterday!

Wow...lot's and lot's of pieces! Very well packaged!

After work, I have to buy some latex (water based) paint, dilute and paint my wood pieces :)

Hi There,

While I'm awaiting the yellow DHL van, oh oohw :shock: , a question mark?

the dual extr. setup needs room I guess, so what will be the max printing size?

Anybody knows?

Some of my prints are maxed out on 200x200, should I print some extra for stock, before I put the new printhead in?

Thanks Kees

Fals alarm, found my own answer, :oops: . 'should have looked further thaen my nose"

Nice engineering, it fits all in the same size printhead housing!

While printing the mounting bracket for the second extruder,

trying to find a good place for the extra rol of filament?

Any good ideas?

That's an excellent question, I have my second extruder kit but haven't touched it....not until I master how to work with the first one :)