Part by automatically moved by Cura

Posted · Part by automatically moved by Cura

I am trying to load 2 files. On is at a higher Z height because I am changing filament and starting next file. But Cura will not position them the way I designed them in Fusion360 and they are on there side for some reason. I could really use some help. I am a little new to 3D printing

Cura will try to avoid placing models on top of each other.

To get them to work together, right click and choose 'slect all' or 'CTRL-+A'. Then right click and click on 'Merge Models'. Provided they are modeled correctly, they will align themselves as they were made and then group them.

The difference between merge and group is that merge places them in their proper locations and then groups them. Group will just group them wherever they are placed as a unit on the buildplate.

You can rotate the group and it will retain the relationship. Then click on the part you want to move while holding down the CTRL key (if on a Windows keyboard) and you will be able to move it separately).

So the way I designed it in Fusion was a cylinder standing vertically with 2 bodies. When I import them into cura however, they are placed horizontally and I am unable to get the 2nd body in the air. Then I need to only print one of the bodies. The one on top is where I am going to change the filament

It is flipped because of a difference in Y up or Z up axis.

Have you tried to manually rotate the objects after being merged?

Yes that works but then it is one body

On 11/25/2018 at 9:31 PM, kmanstudios said:

Then click on the part you want to move while holding down the CTRL key (if on a Windows keyboard) and you will be able to move it separately).

There you go...

I did that but it is ONE body and if I make it seperate bodies the top one moves down because it is suspended in the air on nothing

I am not sure what you are doing wrong. When you hold down the CTRL key (or the apple keyboard equivalent) and click on a part, it selects that part and you can move it wherever you need it to go.

At this point,  screenshots provided by you are the only way to get an idea of this. on this end of things.

Sketchup 2 simple cylinders or even just one. Try changing the Z height and try to move it up. Because I can't

I will send screenshots later

Well, sketchup is going to create a whole other set of issues. But one thing at a time.

7 minutes ago, Luke67 said:

Try changing the Z height and try to move it up.

I do it all the time using the steps I quoted above. That is why I cannot figure what the issue could be.

7 hours ago, Luke67 said:

I did that but it is ONE body and if I make it seperate bodies the top one moves down because it is suspended in the air on nothing

But that's exactly what Merge do, it takes 2 or more bodies and merges them into one body. 

If you want 2 separate bodies, you have to uncheck these settings and then you should be able to place the objects where you want. But I still not understand why you want it to have separately.

2099606619_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-29um10_15_24.png.f82964da7987fe0cc6228923c4702989.png

Okay, I think the step you are missing is Step 3 in this tutorial: https://ultimaker.com/en/blog/34012-get-started-with-cura-printing-with-two-colors

So assign the extruders to the model parts, and then merge+rotate.

Yes the settings I a, looking for is in that screenshot. I need 2 bodies because I need it to print one in black filament. Then I am going to change the filament and print the next piece without removing the previous fro the build plate. So the 2nd parts starts at 12.5 Z height on top of the black.

Not sure if that guide will work as I only have 1 extruder

But then I don't understand why you need 2 bodies? If you print with one body you have to pause the print at the specific height to change the filament. If you use two bodies, then you still have to pause the print at the specific height. There is no difference for you with just one extruder. Or did I miss something?

Posted (edited) · Part by automatically moved by Cura

@Luke67: As you mentioned two bodies and the merge tool, I was under the impression you were using dual extrusion. As smithy mentioned, you don't need two bodies. Instead, use pause at height (Extension->Post Processing->Modify G-Code->Add script->Pause at height) and then change filaments.

For future posts, I think you will get a solution faster if you not only tell us the very specific thing you have been trying, but also what you are trying to achieve in general.

Edited by P3D

Yeah I saw a youtube video for that but I can't find the settings or how to add the pause at layer height

10 minutes ago, P3D said:

For future posts, I think you will get a solution faster if you not only tell us the very specific thing you have been trying, but also what you are trying to achieve in general.

Screenshots. Otherwise it is complete guesswork.

Ok let me try the stop at layer height

I did. I am trying to design a piece that can be 2 different colors. But when I import to cura I have to manually rotate objects. And I have need tell it what layer height to stop. Not to print one body and stop.

And still no screenshots.....

You have more than one issue, so step by step.

That you have to rotate your object is caused due different x/y/z settings between Fusion 360 and Cura. You have to configure Fusion 360 to have your z in the vertical direction instead of the default horizontal one.

608462176_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-29um13_11_01.thumb.png.bf26d5a48168f54ea865df2134549d7a.png

And then you have to understand how a dual color print works. With a dual extruder you design your object, then cut it in two or more parts, import these parts into Cura and configure which extruder should print which part. Then you merge the parts together and start the print. The printer changes itself the extruder which is needed during the print.

With a single extruder this is not possible and the printer will also not stop after the first part. If you place a multipart object like described above in Cura, then our printer will print the whole object, all parts without stopping. The printer will never stop after one part is done by itself. So if you want to pause the printer to change the filament you have to do it manually, by sitting beside the printer and pressing pause or by using the pause at z plugin. But in any way it doesn't matter if you have one part or multiple parts, because you have to pause at a specific z height, the printer ignores your parts.