Part by automatically moved by Cura

Posted · Part by automatically moved by Cura

Ahh ok, the first part is useful. But again I am doing this with one extruder. How can I change the default modeling orientation. For what I need stop at layer height will be fine.

18 minutes ago, Luke67 said:

Ahh ok, the first part is useful. But again I am doing this with one extruder. How can I change the default modeling orientation. For what I need stop at layer height will be fine.

See this post by Smithy:

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

You have more than one issue, so step by step.

That you have to rotate your object is caused due different x/y/z settings between Fusion 360 and Cura. You have to configure Fusion 360 to have your z in the vertical direction instead of the default horizontal one.

608462176_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-29um13_11_01.thumb.png.bf26d5a48168f54ea865df2134549d7a.png

And then you have to understand how a dual color print works. With a dual extruder you design your object, then cut it in two or more parts, import these parts into Cura and configure which extruder should print which part. Then you merge the parts together and start the print. The printer changes itself the extruder which is needed during the print.

With a single extruder this is not possible and the printer will also not stop after the first part. If you place a multipart object like described above in Cura, then our printer will print the whole object, all parts without stopping. The printer will never stop after one part is done by itself. So if you want to pause the printer to change the filament you have to do it manually, by sitting beside the printer and pressing pause or by using the pause at z plugin. But in any way it doesn't matter if you have one part or multiple parts, because you have to pause at a specific z height, the printer ignores your parts.

By the way, you need only one model, but you need to enter the Z pause height in Cura. Then, during the pause, you change the filament (assuming it is the same material, from the same manufacturer, only with different color, because otherwise you'll need to tweak the print parameters for the second part), and then continue the print.

42 minutes ago, Luke67 said:

I am getting them right now so calm down. I am also making a video

I am not 'un-calm.' It is just that there is a lot of discussion when we really cannot see what it is you are trying to do. You keep explaining but it still goes nowhere.

1. You have a part selected within the merged group and actually rotate it (about the 56 second mark). So, kinda not seeing why you cannot move it.
    2. Why model in two parts when a single part is all that is needed? If you were using two extruders, the two parts would make sense. But with a single extrusion, it is not helpful
    3. Your 'sped up video' is so fast I cannot tell if you have two different diameters. If so, why not just lathe the thing as such?
    4. If you modeled the pieces in the proper location and they merge as you modeled them, why are you trying to move them again? That defeats the purpose of modeling within a program.
    5. If there are two different diameters, then watch out for the overhang as it can create an issue if it is too large

20 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:
    1. You have a part selected within the merged group and actually rotate it (about the 56 second mark). So, kinda not seeing why you cannot move it.
    2. Why model in two parts when a single part is all that is needed? If you were using two extruders, the two parts would make sense. But with a single extrusion, it is not helpful
    3. Your 'sped up video' is so fast I cannot tell if you have two different diameters. If so, why not just lathe the thing as such?
    4. If you modeled the pieces in the proper location and they merge as you modeled them, why are you trying to move them again? That defeats the purpose of modeling within a program.
    5. If there are two different diameters, then watch out for the overhang as it can create an issue if it is too large

I am also a little bit confused about what the problem is exactly. In the video it looks like everything works as it should? Re your questions and suggestions kman, in his first post @Luke67 said he is fairly new to 3D printing. So perhaps you are right about your suggestions but Luke may not be aware of all these options and possibilities. So hopefully this thread can help him become more aware about the possibilities. 

Re moving forward, have you looked at Extensions > Post processing > Modify Gcode > Add a script > Pause at height ?

With this feature, I think you should be able to just make 1 tube instead of 2, and set it to whichever height in mm you want to change materials / have that second model start. 

Posted (edited) · Part by automatically moved by Cura
    1 hour ago, SandervG said:

in his first post @Luke67 said he is fairly new to 3D printing. So perhaps you are right about your suggestions but Luke may not be aware of all these options and possibilities.

I get that. But it is most helpful, to give information concerning printer, modeling program, screenshots, not necessarily videos, etc. I am also assuming quite new to modeling as well, so that is why I asked questions in the list.

The list of things I suggested are specifically to start guiding him now that I can see what he is attempting. I see it as a give and take,but until there was some sort of image, it was a bit of mindreading and guesswork. But now that there is a list of things, maybe he will actually ask about them and get more specific guidance.

There is a lot to learn, granted. And, I can see how he logic'ed himself into the two parts. Think about it, it does make sense when not familiar with things. Part a one colour, part b the next colour.

That being said, It has also been overlooked that he said something about sketchup. This will bring a whole other set of issues.

Edited by kmanstudios

Yes I am new to using Cura and I do not know where all of the setings are. I am just a little frustrated because @kmanstudios is not explaining where I can find those settings. The part @Smithy mentioned with the settings in Fusion is exactly what I am looking for. And when I mentioned "sketchup" I meant for @kmanstudios to model something himself and to see what I am trying to accomplish. I apoligize for not uploading screenshots sooner. I now understand where to change the settings for stop at <Z height> thanks to @P3D

Here is a what I am still unclear on

1. The settings for where I can change "Automatically drop to build plate"

2. The setting in Fusion to change what direction the Z axis is. 

3. How I can model a part in fusion and import it into Cura with the same exact orientation without the need to manually rotate and move the piece. 

I thank you all for the feedback given and I appreciate the further help that you guys are giving me. 

I still have much to learn and appreciate anything that you can help me on. 

57 minutes ago, Luke67 said:

Here is a what I am still unclear on

1. The settings for where I can change "Automatically drop to build plate"

2. The setting in Fusion to change what direction the Z axis is. 

3. How I can model a part in fusion and import it into Cura with the same exact orientation without the need to manually rotate and move the piece. 

1. In Cura Settings/Preferences in the menu bar on the top of the application.

2. Fusion 360: 
    1179491246_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-29um19_12_24.png.795f24fb2b1da6d5f8b7e7186f803bad.png

608462176_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-29um13_11_01.thumb.png.bf26d5a48168f54ea865df2134549d7a.png

3. If you change the orientation in Fusion 360 to "Z up" then you don't have to rotate the model in Cura, everything is there like in Fusion.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Luke67 said:

Yes I am new to using Cura and I do not know where all of the setings are. I am just a little frustrated because @kmanstudios is not explaining where I can find those settings.

OK, I explained how to merge, and how to move independent parts of the models. That is all I explained. So, what settings are you referring to because that is all I explained. That is all I attempted to explain.

1 hour ago, Luke67 said:

And when I mentioned " sketchup " I meant for @kmanstudios to model something himself and to see what I am trying to accomplish.

Yeah, that was lost on me. But to be honest, I am also lost on how me modeling something is going to help. But, fusion....see below.....

1 hour ago, Luke67 said:

. The settings for where I can change "Automatically drop to build plate"

In preferences, general.

1 hour ago, Luke67 said:

How I can model a part in fusion and import it into Cura with the same exact orientation without the need to manually rotate and move the piece. 

Do not use Fusion, so cannot help there.

Ok, I want to clarify something about merging models and regular placement of models.

We discussed the merging of models, as well as turning off the "Automatically drop models to buildplate.'

If placing models without merging and something is going to 'float, then yes, it must be turned off.

But if 'Merged' then no.

Vid link:

www.kmanstudios.com/NoNeedDropToPlateOff.mp4

@Smithy that is exactly what I need. Thank you so so much. It works exactly how I want it too now :D.

You are welcome and it is fine when it is working for you 🙂 

• Thanks 1